How would Lynch/Frost tackle Season Four?

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Re: How would Lynch/Frost tackle Season Four?

Post by Soolsma »

Would Leland and Sarah be alive in the Odessaverse? As different people?

Judy would still be a very potential main antagonist. Possibly even BOB.. in/with Carrie?
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

According to the Final Dossier Leland committed suicide in the new universe after Laura disappeared.

That being said, I am far from convinced there would be many explicit, binary answers or explicit onscreen rules re: the universes in an actual Season 4. I think we might see two or a continued, confused blend.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Soolsma wrote:Would Leland and Sarah be alive in the Odessaverse? As different people?

Judy would still be a very potential main antagonist. Possibly even BOB.. in/with Carrie?
My guess is that the Bob storyline ended with him smashed to smithereens. It's the Woodsmen and Judy now.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

N. Needleman wrote:According to the Final Dossier Leland committed suicide in the new universe after Laura disappeared.

That being said, I am far from convinced there would be many explicit, binary answers or explicit onscreen rules re: the universes in an actual Season 4. I think we might see two or a continued, confused blend.
Yeah, I’m not at all convinced that Mark’s vision of the “missing Laura” timeline in TFD and the Odessaverse in Part 18 are the same thing. I personally treat these as two separate and distinct phenomena.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

N. Needleman wrote:
krishnanspace wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:I doubt that would be the case. I think at best you'd see two worlds, and in either the actors who have passed away would've had their characters do so as well, just as Margaret, Pete, etc. have.
I meant for Actors who passed away after The Return was filmed.
That's what I am saying above - that the actors' characters would simply have died in either timeline, not ceased to exist. For example, the Final Dossier (in which there is seemingly no other timeline) posits that Twin Peaks' ensemble of characters remains largely unchanged despite the fact that in the new timeline Laura disappeared and Leland committed suicide.

When we first heard Richard Chamberlain was cast I admit, I thought he'd play Cooper's father. I'd forgotten all about the Roger Rees thing til now.

I like Diane a lot and thought both iterations of the character in S3 were fascinating, and I worship Laura Dern, but I'd kind of like to see more of that focus and attention given over to Laura/Carrie and Audrey next time (I guess with Sheryl she's already had that showcase, but then again so has Laura Dern several times over). If Diane is to have a role I'd like to see it divide upon itself even more in some new way. Who knows who "Linda" is or thinks she is?
I had forgotten about The Final Dossier stuff.That makes sense.But if there were a Season 4, I would want the story to be around the core old cast.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I definitely would love more of the originals especially Lee and Fenn, but I think Lynch would probably continue to mix it up which is fine with me. I was very happy with the new people, and it's unlikely he will ever conform to fan demand. If Candie isn't the bridge between two worlds I riot.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Yeah, I’m not at all convinced that Mark’s vision of the “missing Laura” timeline in TFD and the Odessaverse in Part 18 are the same thing. I personally treat these as two separate and distinct phenomena.
I think those may (or may not) be one and the same, but I take your point. What I mean is, my interpretation of Part 18 upon originally watching it was that Cooper and Diane very clearly cross over into another, changed timeline into which Cooper saved Laura and Judy reigns supreme. Meaning the original TP timeline is back the way they came (which is probably not there anymore for them). The Final Dossier would seem to dispute this take* and for now I have to go with that as canon, but who's to say Lynch wouldn't switch it up again?

(* - FWIW I also completely ignore the bizarre and overly labored retcon on Norma, Annie and Vivian in the book. I appreciate what Frost was trying to do to patch holes but that was just unnecessary.)
mtwentz wrote:My guess is that the Bob storyline ended with him smashed to smithereens. It's the Woodsmen and Judy now.
Agreed. But knowing Lynch he'd bring back BOB again somehow just because he loved Frank Silva.
Last edited by N. Needleman on Mon May 28, 2018 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

IDK, but I feel that in the Odessa-verse, Carrie has been Carrie all her life, and not just became her when she was snatched; same goes for Richard and Linda. This could even mean that Dale Cooper, Diane Evans and Laura Palmer never existed there. The reason they (vaguely) seem to remember their ''original'' selves is because it did happen, someplace, somewhere. I know Leland killed himself when Laura went missing, but in the Odessa-verse, chances are anything could have or could not have happened, he might even have been the town pharmacist for years. As for BOB, he was definitely vanquished, TFD hints that still happened even in the the Laura missing-verse. That also does not exclude at all he might be present someplace or sometime else. For that matter, we don't even have a clue what year it could be. If you ask me, that corpse in Carrie's house was also definitely hinting at something.

But yeah, of course it won't follow any predefined logic, a confused blend for sure. That's precisely why we shouldn't exclude things like seeing Leland or BOB.

The Tremonds residing in the Palmer's place and the Chalfonts before them also strongly hints they are in fact two separate realities.
Last edited by Soolsma on Mon May 28, 2018 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Sure, it's all up for grabs. The first time I saw Part 18 I thought Carrie was not Laura but a warped version of her, much as Cooper was becoming "Richard," some sort of warped, flawed reflection of himself and the doppelgänger. The next time I saw it I felt certain she was Laura who had somehow run away or been spirited away, forgotten, but seeing the house and hearing Sarah's voice brought it all back. Cooper remembers. Diane remembers until perhaps she doesn't anymore.

I always took the corpse and the criminal situation ("did you find him?") to mean that Carrie/Laura/whoever continued to struggle with abusers and predators throughout her existence, like BOB and her father, and that perhaps in this darker universe the corrupted Carrie had begun using BOB-like lethal force and violence to dispatch them. Odessa is a frightening town, and Carrie has a rotting corpse sitting in her home like it's nothing. She became at least a part of what BOB always wanted for her, a killer in his own image. Corrupted and far from the original golden orb.

In fairness, I am operating under the assumption that the Judyverse/Odessa and the timeline Cooper created where Laura doesn't die are one and the same. Either way the Laura Goes Missing timeline may now be the only timeline, as TFD posits, or it may be one of two or multiple timelines.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

N. Needleman wrote:In fairness, I am operating under the assumption that the Judyverse/Odessa and the timeline Cooper created where Laura doesn't die are one and the same. Either way the Laura Goes Missing timeline may now be the only timeline, as TFD posits, or it may be one of two or multiple timelines.
If one and the same (though I must say I quite like that idea), shouldn't s4 start off with Coop simply driving Laura to the sherrif station on the other side of town? Solving a 25 year old case, turns out she suffered from amnesia and identity disorder for a bunch of years. He could simply call Cole and continue his work as an agent. OR would Richard and Carrie have both become so confused they immediately skip town, forgetting their former selves.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Soolsma wrote:If one and the same (though I must say I quite like that idea), shouldn't s4 start off with Coop simply driving Laura to the sherrif station on the other side of town? Solving a 25 year old case, turns out she suffered from amnesia and identity disorder for a bunch of years. He could simply call Cole and continue his work as an agent. OR would Richard and Carrie have both become so confused they immediately skip town, forgetting their former selves.
Yeah, I'm not sure Cooper will be in much condition to rationally handle the situation, at least not for long. I think he'll be lost in the loop of his own hero complex. Or it'll turn into a repeating, Nikki Grace Inland Empire mindfuck for him. (A movie with a plot I feel I understand far less than Part 18, but I haven't watched it in years - I'm pretty sure Nikki was real, though.) That being said, I don't think Carrie/Laura will forget and I'm not sure Cooper will either. I think he'd just grow harder and colder and more obsessed, the instrument of his own downfall over and over.

I also don't think the Odessaverse works by full real world rules. I think any attempt Cooper would make to rationally resolve the situation would be stymied. This universe has a frightening town and diner called "Eat at Judy's" which would appear to be the belly of the beast. Carrie's home has a white horse I think we now associate with Judy/death.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

What I do feel is a bit played out by now, would be another quest to find special agent Dale cooper, by the police boys and the FBI.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I agree in theory - I think a Season 4 would likely be another big departure. (For all we know, Lynch may find it a bold move to now return to conventional layering of story and subplots week to week a la Seasons 1 and 2.) But I honestly find the idea of the new and improved yet still cheerfully clueless at times Dougie Jones aiding and abetting the FBI or the Twin Peaks Sheriff Department to be so hilariously deranged - and the fact that it would make even more heads explode offscreen would be the icing on the cake. No one was more surprised than me that I enjoyed the Dougie saga more and more every week, but the fact that it absolutely infuriated people who didn't get it or like it made it even more hilarious. So I would welcome his return on many levels. And we could see Janey-E again, who I loved. I naively, truly felt until the last two weeks that the show would end on Coop walking off into the sunset with Janey-E and Sonny Jim a la Blue Velvet.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Oh if we'd only have Albert in that scenario. Drooling Dougie working with face-palming Albert :lol:
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I think (or like to think, anyway) that Dougie 2.0 - no longer an imperfect tulpa made by Mr. C, but from Cooper himself - is actually probably fully mentally functional or close to it, like Diane, but I imagine he's still a bit of a naif.