How would Lynch/Frost tackle Season Four?

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: How would Lynch/Frost tackle Season Four?

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

It just occurred to me how awesome it would be to see the ****ed-up family reunion when Diane realizes that her hated sister Janey-E repeatedly made the beast with two backs with Dale. I’d watch 18 hours of them hashing out that drama, maybe with Diane Ladd as their mom, while their dates Dale and Dougie sip coffee and try to keep a very low profile.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:It just occurred to me how awesome it would be to see the ****ed-up family reunion when Diane realizes that her hated sister Janey-E repeatedly made the beast with two backs with Dale. I’d watch 18 hours of them hashing out that drama, maybe with Diane Ladd as their mom, while their dates Dale and Dougie sip coffee and try to keep a very low profile.
:lol: :lol:
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
pinballmars
Roadhouse Member

Post by pinballmars »

I kinda like the idea of another prequel. Set in the 70s.

Yep, I'm talkin' the early exploits of Agent Gordon Cole. Season One: The Lois Duffy Case.

If Twin Peaks merchandising included spin-off novels (ala the mountain of "X-Files", "CSI" and "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" novels), I think that would be a really fun premise for a writer to tackle.

Won't ever happen, but a boy can dream.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Sacrilegious, but a few years back I had an idea for a prequel miniseries set in the '50s (with young Leland, etc), as well as one in the mid-late '90s.

I don't think Lynch/Frost will ever let anyone who isn't them touch the property again, and that's fine. But if they somehow did, I'd welcome Peyton/Engels or Nick Antosca coming in to play with something like that or the great idea pinball mentioned above. The Lois Duffy "Fan Dossier" entry at Welcome to Twin Peaks - complete with gorgeous art of her and Coop, Albert and Diane together and happy in the '80s - gives it all such ripe potential.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:It just occurred to me how awesome it would be to see the ****ed-up family reunion when Diane realizes that her hated sister Janey-E repeatedly made the beast with two backs with Dale. I’d watch 18 hours of them hashing out that drama, maybe with Diane Ladd as their mom, while their dates Dale and Dougie sip coffee and try to keep a very low profile.
With the Mitchum Brothers as the Judges and Jurors.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

N. Needleman wrote:Sacrilegious, but a few years back I had an idea for a prequel miniseries set in the '50s (with young Leland, etc), as well as one in the mid-late '90s.

I don't think Lynch/Frost will ever let anyone who isn't them touch the property again, and that's fine. But if they somehow did, I'd welcome Peyton/Engels or Nick Antosca coming in to play with something like that or the great idea pinball mentioned above. The Lois Duffy "Fan Dossier" entry at Welcome to Twin Peaks - complete with gorgeous art of her and Coop, Albert and Diane together and happy in the '80s - gives it all such ripe potential.
In FWWM , during the Hap's Diner scene its mentioned that 2 FBI agents had paid a visit sometime during the 50s.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

N. Needleman wrote:
I don't think Lynch/Frost will ever let anyone who isn't them touch the property again, and that's fine.
Since they're so possessive of their franchise (and I'm not denying them their right to be that way), it's really weird how they - and Showtime - apparently don't have any problems with certain people in the TP fandom community making their own fan film further developing the story of Cooper, Laura, Annie and Windom Earle and incorporating, besides listed characters, plot elements from S1, S2, FWWM as well as S3 and various books (The Secret Diary, MLMT, The Final Dossier ...) and in so doing not only messing with what's established as official TP cannon (as hard as that is to pinpoint) but exploiting (for whatever gain) themes, ideas and concepts of the original creators and what's officially someone else's (intellectual, legal and financial) property. They've even raised a certain amount of money from the public through furious, several months-lasting crowdfunding campaign to realize their cause. Furthermore, they even - going by the filmmakers' own personal claims - touched base with Showtime officials prior to embarking on this endeavour and supposedly got the green light to go ahead with the project. And I'm assuming Showtime checked with Lynch & Frost before they OK'ed this thing, as it's, one would think, such a touchy-feely subject (particularly now, when TP's supposed to be a boiling hot property again, what with the whole S3 shebang, tie-in books 'n' all).

Now, I'm not naming any names since I'm aware of this forum's somewhat problematic history with the said fan individuals, but the thing can be looked up by anyone with computer and Google access - it's all over the www realm and all the possible social media outlets, particularly those devoted to TP stuff.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Agent Earle wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:
I don't think Lynch/Frost will ever let anyone who isn't them touch the property again, and that's fine.
Since they're so possessive of their franchise (and I'm not denying them their right to be that way), it's really weird how they - and Showtime - apparently don't have any problems with certain people in the TP fandom community making their own fan film further developing the story of Cooper, Laura, Annie and Windom Earle and incorporating, besides listed characters, plot elements from S1, S2, FWWM as well as S3 and various books (The Secret Diary, MLMT, The Final Dossier ...) and in so doing not only messing with what's established as official TP cannon (as hard as that is to pinpoint) but exploiting (for whatever gain) themes, ideas and concepts of the original creators and what's officially someone else's (intellectual, legal and financial) property. They've even raised a certain amount of money from the public through furious, several months-lasting crowdfunding campaign to realize their cause. They even - going by the filmmakers' own personal claims - touched base with Showtime officials prior to embarking on this endeavour and supposedly got the green light to go ahead with the project. And I'm assuming Showtime checked with Lynch & Frost before they OK'ed this thing, as it's, one would think, such a touchy-feely subject (particularly now, when TP's supposed to be a boiling hot property again, what with the whole S3 shebang, tie-in books 'n' all).

Now, I'm not naming any names since I'm aware of this forum's somewhat problematic history with the said fan individuals, but the thing can be looked up by anyone with computer and Google access - it's all over the www realm and all the possible social media outlets, particularly those devoted to TP stuff.
I think a lot of fans have made fan films over the years. I'm not an expert on these issues, but I don't think there's much they can do as long as the makers of these films aren't profiting financially.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I don’t know anything about the background of the fan film, but you can definitely bring a copyright suit even if the infringing party didn’t profit.

The powers that be have generally been (wisely) encouraging of the TP fan community putting its own creative swirl on things, since that is what has kept the franchise alive, and DKL loves inspiring other artists. Showtime’s advance promos for S3 even featured a piece on a TP-themed burlesque bar. That said, they did recently send a C&D letter to a store in Minneapolis (I think) called the Black Lodge that was selling unofficial TP products. Hard to tell how and why they draw the line on these things. It may just come down to which lawyer got the phone call on which given day, and how good or bad her morning coffee was.
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

Agent Earle wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:
Since they're so possessive of their franchise (and I'm not denying them their right to be that way), it's really weird how they - and Showtime - apparently don't have any problems with certain people in the TP fandom community making their own fan film further developing the story of Cooper, Laura, Annie and Windom Earle and incorporating, besides listed characters, plot elements from S1, S2, FWWM as well as S3 and various books (The Secret Diary, MLMT, The Final Dossier ...) and in so doing not only messing with what's established as official TP cannon (as hard as that is to pinpoint) but exploiting (for whatever gain) themes, ideas and concepts of the original creators and what's officially someone else's (intellectual, legal and financial) property. They've even raised a certain amount of money from the public through furious, several months-lasting crowdfunding campaign to realize their cause. Furthermore, they even - going by the filmmakers' own personal claims - touched base with Showtime officials prior to embarking on this endeavour and supposedly got the green light to go ahead with the project. And I'm assuming Showtime checked with Lynch & Frost before they OK'ed this thing, as it's, one would think, such a touchy-feely subject (particularly now, when TP's supposed to be a boiling hot property again, what with the whole S3 shebang, tie-in books 'n' all).

Showtime did in fact make contact whilst this this fan film was in pre-production and its been mentioned in youtube videos. Apparently there was contact between the owner of the Palmer house and this filtered through to cast members - they didn't want any more filming to be done in that location. Since then all of the initial cast left the project.
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

NormoftheAndes wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:

Showtime did in fact get involved in this fan film's pre-production and its been mentioned in youtube videos. Apparently there was contact between the owner of the Palmer house and this filtered through to cast members - they didn't want any more filming to be done in that location. Since then all of the initial cast left the project.
Is that a fact? I didn't know that, the last I've checked this project was still going strong, producing trailers displaying the famous TP locations with amateur actors standing in for the original ones etc. However, I see now that the project's FB, Twitter and crowdfunding sites still exist, so I guess the filmmakers in charge of it are apparently determined to plod on, Showtime be damned :)
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

Yes the footage they made in the Palmer house and around the town was prior to that contact between Showtime and the Palmer house owner. That cast included the daughter of the owner 'Mrs Tremond' and there seems to have been some reluctance to be involved anymore after Showtime had their say in matters. What was filmed was intended as a 'teaser' and obviously it was a major set-back but the project is still ongoing.
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

I understand why people write fan fiction, I think it's a cool exercise. To me it seems a little much time and effort to make a fan fiction film though. If I were going to make a film, I'd stick to my own creative ideas. Film making is too much work to devote it to making something you could never make money off of, and could be nixed by the copyright owner even if you didn't make money off of it.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I meant there will likely never be other official TP works not done by the creators, I didn't mean fan films. I don't think Lynch/Frost would curtail that barring specific instances, like using the Palmer house or Mary Reber, which I can understand.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

I don't know when the full version of this new interview with Mark Frost will be available, but this teaser has some cool bits at the end about his mindset as he set about writing the new Twin Peaks.

"We had the opportunity to go back and look at this very large set of characters... and wrap it all in a larger context. That was my big objective. I said, 'We've got to get out of the town. We have to enlarge the scope of the canvas. And we've got to make this about more than just this sleepy, creepy little Hamlet."