No Ray Wise?

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

missoulamt
RR Diner Member

No Ray Wise?

Post by missoulamt »

Anyone know why he was only in S3 for a few seconds?
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Re: No Ray Wise?

Post by Agent Earle »

That's actually a pretty good question. I'd place my bet on the fact that this sad sack of a "return" show was Twin Peaks in-name-only and had next to nothing to do with characters, storylines, ideas, themes and concepts, developed by in every way superior original masterpiece.
George

Post by George »

Thanks for using the question as a mere vehicle to once again spout your opinion on The Return. :P

I guess he was only in it for a few seconds because...well, Leland is dead, and...Frost/Lynch couldn't think of a way to make him more of a part of the story? The speculation beforehand that Leland might be a stand-in for Bob was tantalizing, but that's not where it went. Hm, if that would have been better? I mean, it would have been kinda confused. Leland isn't Bob after all, only Bob was part of him.
Maybe when a fourth season comes around we'll see some alternate reality Leland. ;)
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Pejorative language aside, Earle is probably correct...this wasn’t a traditional revival/reunion like, say, Roseanne 2018. It was about L/F embracing their current vision, not getting the band back together for a nostalgia tour. While I would have loved to see what Wise would have done if L/F had found more for Leland to do, the spirit obviously just didn’t move them in that regard. If you haven’t seen Between Two Worlds, check it out. It’s a wonderful gift from DKL and should scratch your Leland itch (it also might be Zabriskie’s greatest performance ever, and that’s really saying something).

I was against Leland-as-Bob when speculation ran high prior to TR. In retrospect, it could have been an interesting move, given the confusion/ambiguity about Mike/the Arm/MfAP/Phillip Gerard (Gerard’s mortal form seems to have become the de facto incarnation of Mike, so why shouldn’t Bob similarly evolve/meld with his host?) But one need look no further than the final season of Lost for an example of how lame it can be for a show to have an otherworldly entity assume the appearance of a deceased beloved character, solely for the purpose of keeping a great actor on staff.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

There were rumors he was ill. I don't know if that was true.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

N. Needleman wrote:There were rumors he was ill. I don't know if that was true.
He seems to have been pretty active as a regular on ‘Fresh Off the Boat’ both before and after TP:TR. I’d assume he could have conceivably done more in the show’s eight-month filming period, even if he had a rough patch health-wise...but who knows.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I'm well aware. Nonetheless, it's what I heard potentially floated as a possible factor at the time.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
NewtoTwinPeaks
Roadhouse Member

Post by NewtoTwinPeaks »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Pejorative language aside, Earle is probably correct...this wasn’t a traditional revival/reunion like, say, Roseanne 2018. It was about L/F embracing their current vision, not getting the band back together for a nostalgia tour. While I would have loved to see what Wise would have done if L/F had found more for Leland to do, the spirit obviously just didn’t move them in that regard. If you haven’t seen Between Two Worlds, check it out. It’s a wonderful gift from DKL and should scratch your Leland itch (it also might be Zabriskie’s greatest performance ever, and that’s really saying something).

I was against Leland-as-Bob when speculation ran high prior to TR. In retrospect, it could have been an interesting move, given the confusion/ambiguity about Mike/the Arm/MfAP/Phillip Gerard (Gerard’s mortal form seems to have become the de facto incarnation of Mike, so why shouldn’t Bob similarly evolve/meld with his host?) But one need look no further than the final season of Lost for an example of how lame it can be for a show to have an otherworldly entity assume the appearance of a deceased beloved character, solely for the purpose of keeping a great actor on staff.
Terry O'Quinn did an excellent job, although I can see your point in some ways as I think the original actor playing the entity was very captivating.
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

I think that Wise could have been used a bit more than he was without it seeming they were showcasing him just because he was so popular on the original. Things could have gone any number of ways as far as bringing him in more than saying just two words and looking like he is holding in a fart. He could have been brought in somehow to the Sarah story to offer more meat and shading to Sarah, whose minimal screen time and development went against her revealed importance. He could have had a more substantive conversation with Coop in the Lodge about the sadness he feels about his life being taken over by the Bob entity, something with which Coop can relate. As far as the returning cast, Wise has had the busiest acting career outside of MacLachlan, so not having more of him was a letdown.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

IcedOver wrote:I think that Wise could have been used a bit more than he was without it seeming they were showcasing him just because he was so popular on the original. Things could have gone any number of ways as far as bringing him in more than saying just two words and looking like he is holding in a fart. He could have been brought in somehow to the Sarah story to offer more meat and shading to Sarah, whose minimal screen time and development went against her revealed importance. He could have had a more substantive conversation with Coop in the Lodge about the sadness he feels about his life being taken over by the Bob entity, something with which Coop can relate. As far as the returning cast, Wise has had the busiest acting career outside of MacLachlan, so not having more of him was a letdown.
He was amazing in Fargo S3,playing a Leland Palmer in the Lodge like supernatural character.I was expecting that level of Ray Wise to appear in The return,but sadly that wasnt the case.
George

Post by George »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:I was against Leland-as-Bob when speculation ran high prior to TR. In retrospect, it could have been an interesting move, given the confusion/ambiguity about Mike/the Arm/MfAP/Phillip Gerard (Gerard’s mortal form seems to have become the de facto incarnation of Mike, so why shouldn’t Bob similarly evolve/meld with his host?) But one need look no further than the final season of Lost for an example of how lame it can be for a show to have an otherworldly entity assume the appearance of a deceased beloved character, solely for the purpose of keeping a great actor on staff.
Well, in The Return we got Gerard and the brain tree, so they're still distinct. Gerard is still alive, so he can also pop out of the lodge. Well, in The Return he never quite leaves lodge-like environments, but it seems to me that way.
Bob already severed from Leland when Leland died, and if he were still part of Leland, well, he couldn't leave the lodge, could he? Since Leland is dead and therefore has to stay in the lodge...
That's how I figure ;)
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

Hello again peeps.

I thought I'd pop in and noticed this thread. I can state unequivocally that the only contributing factor to Ray's extremely limited presence in The Return was David Lynch.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

Welcome back, Mordeen!!!
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Mordeen wrote:Hello again peeps.

I thought I'd pop in and noticed this thread. I can state unequivocally that the only contributing factor to Ray's extremely limited presence in The Return was David Lynch.

-Mordeen
<3
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Mordeen wrote:Hello again peeps.

-Mordeen
I've been wondering what you thought of The Return. You were a key member to follow during the build up to the series and I remember your post stating you were gonna sign off while the series aired. So, I'd like to know!