Cry for help: First supernatural event by Laura?

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Cry for help: First supernatural event by Laura?

Post by yaxomoxay »

Yesterday I re-watched S1E2 for the first time after the Return’s finale.
One scene that previously escaped me is the slow motion video of Laura and Donna’s picnic, I believe with a toned down piano version of Laura’s theme - not dissimilar to Heartbreaking in the famous restaurant scene.
At the end of the video, we can hear Laura faintly say “Help me”. This is totally out of the blue, and it’s through a medium that uses electricity. It’s not clear who’s she’s talking to, and why. Why would she say “help me”, in a video in which she’s having fun, and after (presumably) she’s dead?
How would you read this simple, short scene after the Return’s finale?
Is it Laura or Carrie asking for help? To whom?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by yaxomoxay on Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Re: Cry for help: First supernatural event by Laura?

Post by Snailhead »

Na, not a supernatural event. Just a beautiful stylistic flair that emphasizes Laura's pain and suggesting that her spirit is in some kind of limbo. I don't think it "happened" diegetically (in the world of the story).
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

Snailhead wrote:Na, not a supernatural event. Just a beautiful stylistic flair that emphasizes Laura's pain and suggesting that her spirit is in some kind of limbo. I don't think it "happened" diegetically (in the world of the story).
I agree that most likely when it was filmed it was meant as a (beautiful) stylistic choice, as you rightfully say.
However, in retrospective the meaning of the scene could be seen as a sort of an event that happened, not literally but at least symbolically. I am sure that the VHS didn’t have a secret audio track with Laura’s request for help, but that doesn’t mean that she wasn’t asking for help and that she didn’t have a connection with the very last happy memory she had before the brutal murder.

Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

Fair enough, I just think it's kinda ludicrous to bring Carrie Page into it is all. :lol:
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

Snailhead wrote:Fair enough, I just think it's kinda ludicrous to bring Carrie Page into it is all. :lol:
Well, obviously I don’t meant that in 1989 Lynch had Carrie Page in his mind (who knows?!? ;) ).
However some things might work retroactively. It is possible that he had the idea that Laura was special in a supernatural way (kinda like Donna says, her problems keep on living) and that was a fruit of that idea. Let’s say that it was more a seed that a well formed idea, but it can work with the return. Bob was already among us after all.

claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

yaxomoxay wrote:
Snailhead wrote:Fair enough, I just think it's kinda ludicrous to bring Carrie Page into it is all. :lol:
Well, obviously I don’t meant that in 1989 Lynch had Carrie Page in his mind (who knows?!? ;) ).
However some things might work retroactively. It is possible that he had the idea that Laura was special in a supernatural way (kinda like Donna says, her problems keep on living) and that was a fruit of that idea. Let’s say that it was more a seed that a well formed idea, but it can work with the return. Bob was already among us after all.

haha did you read that interview from Cashiers where Lynch was asked what he had in mind for Judy when writing "FWWM" and said that it was 100% the same thing as in Season 3. i find that hard to believe.

it's a beautful thing that we can read Laura's "call for help" as part of the objective narrative (if there is such a thing in T.P.) but personally i have a hard time connecting it to any deep. perhaps since it's a touch from the old series i never really cared for (same goes for the other Laura flashback with James - "because you're skin is so soft and you smell so good" haha).
kitty666cats
RR Diner Member

Post by kitty666cats »

claaa7 wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:

haha did you read that interview from Cashiers where Lynch was asked what he had in mind for Judy when writing "FWWM" and said that it was 100% the same thing as in Season 3. i find that hard to believe.

it's a beautful thing that we can read Laura's "call for help" as part of the objective narrative (if there is such a thing in T.P.) but personally i have a hard time connecting it to any deep. perhaps since it's a touch from the old series i never really cared for (same goes for the other Laura flashback with James - "because you're skin is so soft and you smell so good" haha).
We know that at least Bob Engels was considering perhaps having Judy be Josie's twin sister.I think Lynch may be a bit full of crap in that recent interview, or perhaps something was lost in translation.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

kitty666cats wrote:
claaa7 wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:

We know that at least Bob Engels was considering perhaps having Judy be Josie's twin sister.I think Lynch may be a bit full of crap in that recent interview, or perhaps something was lost in translation.
Technically speaking, Josie’s sister can still be Judy, and that Judy can still be S3’s Judy exactly as Sarah can be Judy. But who knows ? :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

claaa7 wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:

I adore those moments, 'cause they're hilarious. I've always interpreted the James flashback as his personal, idealized memory of her.
RR Diner Member

Post by 4815162342 »

kitty666cats wrote:
claaa7 wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:

I looked it up and he "laughs" after he "confirms" that the idea of Judy did not change. So maybe he was joking?