Kyle MacLachlan sounding far less optimistic about more Twin Peaks

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Kyle MacLachlan sounding far less optimistic about more Twin Peaks

Post by NormoftheAndes »

He’s been asked before if he thinks Lynch and Frost might do another season of “Twin Peaks,” and MacLachlan says his comments that it’s possible have been a bit overplayed.

“I don’t think so,” MacLachlan says of the prospect of more “Twin Peaks.”

“I kind of take the line of ‘never say never,’” he adds, and if Lynch and Frost get an idea they want to explore, it “could happen.”

But MacLachlan says, “I’m doubtful” that there will be more “Twin Peaks.”

“I would say, probably not.”

http://www.oregonlive.com/tv/2018/02/ky ... mayor.html

What the hell?!
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Re: Kyle MacLachlan sounding far less optimistic about more Twin Peaks

Post by mtwentz »

NormoftheAndes wrote:He’s been asked before if he thinks Lynch and Frost might do another season of “Twin Peaks,” and MacLachlan says his comments that it’s possible have been a bit overplayed.

“I don’t think so,” MacLachlan says of the prospect of more “Twin Peaks.”

“I kind of take the line of ‘never say never,’” he adds, and if Lynch and Frost get an idea they want to explore, it “could happen.”

But MacLachlan says, “I’m doubtful” that there will be more “Twin Peaks.”

“I would say, probably not.”

http://www.oregonlive.com/tv/2018/02/ky ... mayor.html

What the hell?!
Not surprising to me at all. Although I would always like more, I think we were lucky to get what we did this last year. I never thought that would happen, about as likely as Elon Musk sending a Tesla into orbit.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Thanks, I’ve added this to my collection of quotes on the subject.

While I wouldn't outright ignore Kyle's comment, I wouldn't put too much weight on it. It's not like he's presenting inside information (I'm not convinced that even Frost & Lynch themselves have any idea of what they'll do). Kyle seems to simply be giving a temperature reading of his general optimism on the subject on that particular day.

A lot of factors go into these types of judgements. One such factor for Kyle could be the simple managing of expectations (conscious or unconscious), and I don't mean only for the audience, I mean for himself. Another is simply how he happened to be feeling that day. Another factor is probably an observation of the lackadaisical approach being taken by Lynch and Frost, which could make one wonder if they'd even have time to do it if they ever got around to committing. (They seem about as hurried as molasses running uphill on a cold day.) Yet another factor could be the ongoing amazement that Twin Peaks ever returned at all, and how much of an intense commitment it was for Frost & Lynch working without any other writers or directors, and how unlikely it was. (mtwentz has already mentioned that last point.)

I don't have any strong suspicions either way. It wouldn't surprise me if I woke up tomorrow and heard that they were continuing the story, and it also wouldn't surprise me if they got distracted by other things and never explored it any further. All I know is that it's become clear that Showtime wants more, and Lynch and Frost clearly haven't closed the door on the possibility. I thought that Lynch's most recent comments (that I saw) were the most hopeful yet, while remaining stubbornly inconclusive:

The Hollywood Reporter
November 22, 2017
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/fien- ... ew-1053029

HR: What would be the impetus that would require you and Mark Frost to come back to this world? What would it take?

LYNCH: “I don't know. It's too early to say that right now.”

HR: But it's definitely not something that you rule out?

LYNCH: “I’ve learned never say never.”

(a bit later in the interview...)

HR: Going back to the feelings you're having about TV, have you started thinking in terms of long-form storytelling more often in your mind?

LYNCH: "Yeah, it's thrilling to me. Continuing story. It's absolutely thrilling."

HR: And do you think that TV is generally ready for the kind of stories you want to tell, or was Showtime a special case?

LYNCH: "No, I think they're generally ready. And I think it's what's happening. All these things go in waves. But right now, it's a very friendly environment for a continuing story."

HR: Does that make you want to dive in aggressively? Does it make you want to go, I want to catch this wave while it's still cresting?

"In some ways, yes." (Pauses.)

HR: And in other ways?

"No." (Laughs.)
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

What would they do in any follow-up? They already turned the original series inside out, so would they do the same thing to "Return"? If "Return" is in many facets the opposite of the original, if a follow-up were the opposite of that, would it be more like traditional "TP"?

I'd say that most claims that more is possible came out of wanting to promote the new season, not wanting to have any negativity coming from them about it. Now that it's out and digested, they can be more realistic that it's not going to happen.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

IcedOver wrote:What would they do in any follow-up?
Presumably whatever they felt like. Any of us having a difficult time imagining what they might do has no bearing on the likelihood of a continuation.
IcedOver wrote:I'd say that most claims that more is possible came out of wanting to promote the new season, not wanting to have any negativity coming from them about it. Now that it's out and digested, they can be more realistic that it's not going to happen.
I wouldn't say that presenting The Return as a one-time thing would count as negativity. The claims haven't really changed. Kyle has never said that he thought it was going to continue. He's only said that he'd like it to continue. In any case, he doesn't get to make the decision, and he doesn't even get to know the decision until it's been made. Going by all available evidence, that decision isn't even remotely close to having been made, meaning even Frost & Lynch don't know. They probably feel differently about it day to day based upon the weather or what they ate for breakfast.

As I said earlier, Lynch's most recent words on the subject (that I've seen) seem the most positive thus far, and the same can be said (even more so, in fact) when it comes to Showtime's David Nevins. Nevins has always said that he thought that they probably wouldn't do any more because it was such a big effort for them, and especially for Lynch with so much filming and editing and such.

In any case, there's no evidence whatsoever that anything has changed. My assessment certainly hasn't changed one single iota. I still believe that things could go either way, but I'm not holding my breath for a continuation. The main thing working against a continuation is the age of the creators. They can't wait another quarter century. Even Clint Eastwood is only 15 years older than Lynch, not 25 (though I won't rule out the possibility of ol' Squint Eastwood still making films in ten years :lol: ).

P.S. As an interesting aside, Clint Eastwood's daughter Francesca played the Judy's diner waitress in Odessa.
BGate
RR Diner Member

Post by BGate »

Jasper wrote:Thanks, I’ve added this to my collection of quotes on the subject.

While I wouldn't outright ignore Kyle's comment, I wouldn't put too much weight on it. It's not like he's presenting inside information (I'm not convinced that even Frost & Lynch themselves have any idea of what they'll do). Kyle seems to simply be giving a temperature reading of his general optimism on the subject on that particular day.
In general I agree, things can change very quickly, but we know Kyle talks to Lynch all the time though (remember the recent picture of him with Lynch and Dern?) and I'd agree with the thread title that he is sounding a different tone here than he has before. Not encouraging to say the least.
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

Seconding BGate. I wish someone would ask Dern and see what her reading of the situation is.

As for what it would be about, I don't think they set out with the intent to turn anything inside out in s3, I think they simply told the story they wanted to tell. And they'd still tell the story they want to tell in a hypothetical continuation. And as Twin Peaks has exactly two gears, the first being "exactly what it says on the tin" and the second being "David Lynch did WHAT?" (sometimes both at once, but no middle ground), I think it's a 50% chance that this hypothetical continuation would plainly follow Coop and Laura's ongoing adventures and 50% that its concept would be so far out of left field we'd never see it coming.
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

laughingpinecone wrote:Seconding BGate. I wish someone would ask Dern and see what her reading of the situation is.

As for what it would be about, I don't think they set out with the intent to turn anything inside out in s3, I think they simply told the story they wanted to tell. And they'd still tell the story they want to tell in a hypothetical continuation. And as Twin Peaks has exactly two gears, the first being "exactly what it says on the tin" and the second being "David Lynch did WHAT?" (sometimes both at once, but no middle ground), I think it's a 50% chance that this hypothetical continuation would plainly follow Coop and Laura's ongoing adventures and 50% that its concept would be so far out of left field we'd never see it coming.
I mostly do think they set out to turn the original series inside out. What with the concepts of nostalgia and aging and going back home and all that. I think that was a process of tackling the same material 25 years later, and part of the story they wanted to tell. That said, I don't at all think that they'd take the same approach for a continuation. I have no idea what it would be, but I don't think it would purposely turn The Return inside out, as IceOver wondered, as it would be unnecessary, as the 25 years passing and the current cultural obsession with nostalgia probably necessitated doing that in The Return. If they continue, I'd think that The Return has freed them up even further to tell whatever story they wished to tell.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Though part of me hates to admit it, now that some time has passed, I feel like I've been fulfilled with what we got. Lucky us :)
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

Watching the bluray behind the scenes features really brought home what an epic project it was. I'm sure Lynch is positive because he'd love to continue the story, but I'm sure that is tempered by the knowledge of how much of his life it takes over. Of course, all we can do is speculate, but that is my hunch. The phrase he says most often is "it's too early to say yet", which means he is still in recovery mode!

I remain convinced that the ending was intended to leave room for more, but Frost in particular has also expressed satisfaction with where it ended, so they won't feel 100% compelled to do more.
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

Having had time to digest the ending and to see how it holds up against the various claims both authors made about it, I think that Lynch's comments about his fascination with ongoing stories may be very relevant here. He wants to be able to keep thinking about a world and its characters. And they've said over and over that this was their intended ending. So I don't think it's sequel bait. I think it's their idea of a standalone ending, but one that hints at a continuing story - an open ending, because Lynch has found out he digs ongoing stories. Of course this setup conveniently also makes it very easy to continue, if that's what they want to do. Even though it was intended as a real ending. Tough balancing act! (but an even tougher balancing act would be a hypothetical season 4 ending)

As an aside to LateReg, and ofc agree to disagree and all that, my point was that it wasn't their /intention/ to flip the table and do everything differently. I feel, rather, that it was a consequence of them being different people and, most importantly, of them approaching a continuation set 25 years later, thinking about the changes in that world and working from those changes. So yes it's very different, hinging on stylistic connections that were maybe minor approaches in the old show, but as an organic consequence, not as a statement. Then again in general I don't see half the meta-commentary that's usually attributed to Lynch. Anyway I fully agree that regardless of what spurred their creative process, this shift wouldn't concern any further project of theirs.
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

This is kind of amusing:

David Nevins
August 8, 2017
“I don’t think so, but it’s not impossible,”

_____

Kyle MacLachlan
February 05, 2018
“I don’t think so,”

Mark Frost
October 6, 2014
"We’ve learned never to say never.”

Mark Frost
Nov. 14, 2017
“never say never”

____

David Lynch
May 17, 2017
"You never say never.”

David Lynch
November 22, 2017
“I’ve learned never say never.”

____

Kyle MacLachlan
February 05, 2018
“I kind of take the line of ‘never say never,’”

When Kyle says he "takes the line" he really means he takes the line. This seems to be the official stance on the creative end.

In any case, looking back at the most recent quotes from these parties, I still don't think that there's any real evidence that anything has changed in any significant way. It seems to me that there's just as much of a chance of a continuation as there was before. I don't expect one, but I still believe that it could go either way. I'm pretty sure that even if there was to be a continuation, Lynch, especially, would want to take a big long break before committing to doing more (and I don't blame him at all). The lack of urgency has been a constant.
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

I suspect we'd be more likely to get another Twin Peaks story (be it a movie, or more episodes of story) if David Lynch could write it and direct it himself. I find it hard to imagine he would spend another year or two or three or four working in collaboration with Mark Frost (or any other writer) on a script to direct. I think, in terms of how the new story was conceived and created, this was a special, one-time thing.

But again, Never Say Never sounds about right.
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

Seeing how into sound design Lynch is these days, I wouldn't mind them continuing TP as a serialized radio drama. Obviously I'd prefer a season 4 on showtime, but I'm sure Lynch + Badalamenti and his other audio collaborators could produce some real rich headphone experiences were they to continue the story as a radio narrative. Plus it would be far more easy/cheaper to produce.
AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Post by AgentEcho »

If there is going to be more Twin Peaks, I would guess the process would be similar to how the third season came to be, only no one payed any attention to the possibility of more Twin Peaks when those discussions began (not even fans) and now discussions would happen under the shadow of attention and scrutiny. I recall Frost saying that he and Lynch had discussions for nine months or so (I can't recall the exact amount of time) before they felt they had "it", the groundwork to move forward with writing the season. I don't know at what point Kyle was brought into the loop but I suspect it happened after this point.

I'd guess right now, there is nothing more happening than informal discussions between Lynch and Frost about where they would want to go with more Twin Peaks, and even between the two of them the possibility of more is unknown and entirely contingent upon whether or not they can again come to a mutual agreement on what would be the foundation of a season 4.