New Stand-alone Parts of Twin Peaks?

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Qubism
Roadhouse Member
Location: Another Place - Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song and there's always music in the air.

New Stand-alone Parts of Twin Peaks?

Post by Qubism »

I really, really wish that we had seen some where in The Return/S3 some sign or much more of what happened to Special Agent Chester Desmond. There are endless possibilities to that tale. I wish we could even have seen a glimpse of him somewhere in the 18 hours.

What I would love to see are a few more Parts, maybe one-offs, an hour or so, maybe standalone tales. I think this would be something a lot of fans would like to see. Even better, maybe we could have a few 3 or 4 part tales (3 or 4 more hours of Twin Peaks of almost any kind would be awesome IMHO).

This would surely be a great option for Lynch and Frost and Showtime because it wouldn't take another 4 and a half years.

Frankly I would even love Lynch to maybe do a few internet shorts, say 20 minutes. If Mark can do his books, I think Dave could do a few shorts, narrative and/or abstract.

I kinda already did one for Special Agent Philip Jeffries completely made of existing Bowie footage that was so perfectly suitable for Twin Peaks that I felt compelled to edit it together and make a soundtrack of suitable noises and music. For 15 minutes of fun, it was great! I uploaded it to youtube but it got taken down in less than 24 hours. I called it Part zero. Philip Jeffries is in trouble in the woods around Twin Peaks in 2003. It involved doppelgangers and someone making their way to New York at the end to a particular building with no windows which would have lead neatly into Part 1!

So would anyone else like to see some stand-alone tales, shorts, full parts or even a stand alone feature film? FWWM is probably still my favourite 4 hours of Twin Peaks and there was talk of more films years back...

Most importantly which characters/tales would we like to see? If we start with Chet, I have to see how Sam Stanley is doing too... the actors are still alive and willing I believe... what about Ronnette Pulaski (or... American woman in S3 Ep3?) , more Audrey or Donna or Sarah Palmer?

Shout up and maybe someone can pass our wishes/ideas to Lynch & Frost...
Part Zero - Special Agent Phillip Jeffries In Trouble In 2003.png
Part Zero - Special Agent Phillip Jeffries In Trouble In 2003.png (923.7 KiB) Viewed 15483 times
PsychoFox
Roadhouse Member

Re: New Stand-alone Parts of Twin Peaks?

Post by PsychoFox »

A conclusion for Catherine Martell, and Josie Packard's ghost ?
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

At the moment the idea just isn't appealing to me. Certainly nothing on the internet like you suggested; it would have to be on traditional TV. Anything new like you say would be focused on some aspect of plot, but Lynch showed us time and again over three and a half months how little he cares about the actual plot of the show. I don't care to know any details about Jeffries; he shouldn't even have been included in this show. Same for Desmond.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

Post by SpookyDollhouse »

IcedOver wrote:-Lynch showed us time and again over three and a half months how little he cares about the actual plot of the show.
"actual plot" I'm in pieces over here :lol:
Xavi
RR Diner Member

Post by Xavi »

SpookyDollhouse wrote:
IcedOver wrote:-Lynch showed us time and again over three and a half months how little he cares about the actual plot of the show.
"actual plot" I'm in pieces over here
If anything, Twin Peaks The Return is NOT A STORY, yet there is A STORY; The illusive truth of Club Silencio evolves into a tale not being told, but still got conveyed and spread as if a hypnotic spell were cast through the ether. A mind blowing achievement indeed.

The audience gets a vast network of occurrences, of scenes, of fragments, of imageries, of sounds and visions, implanted in its brain as if it were a seed. This seed will grow in the fertile surroundings of the subconscious until some tiny little sprouts, buds and first green leaves reach awareness. It causes a troubling conflict between intellect and intuition: There is no story, yet there is a story.

DISCLAMIER: This only works for the open minded ones, for the curious ones, for the ones that know there is more than what trigger the senses, and for the ones that are bored to death by straight forward narratives.
Qubism
Roadhouse Member
Location: Another Place - Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song and there's always music in the air.

Post by Qubism »

Hi Xavi,

I think you are in the right frame of mind. Lynch keeps mentioning in interviews in the last few days/weeks that he feels that TV is the new Arthouse.
We have to see that the word Art is in Arthouse. ...and he is an actual Artist.

This was never going to be a beginning a middle and a happy end. ...but that's Ok, it's a just a ride... (Bill Hicks told me that). It is an experience, visual moving art with sound and a soundtrack. I wonder if any viewers have ever looked at any of the 100% genuine video art of the type you might find in Tate Modern Art Gallery. It is pretty far out there and not much of it does anything for me, but Twin Peaks espesh The Return/S3 seems to be art with characters, an atmosphere, a narrative, it just might not be the narrative many fans were wanting!
Qubism
Roadhouse Member

Post by Qubism »

Someone PMd me to ask if they could get to see Part Zero some how and I thought I'd post my answer here too:

Hi,

After I put this (Twin Peaks Part zero) up on youtube and it got took down in less than 24 hours I kind of gave up. I made my part zero out of love for ALL of Twin Peaks and also because I am a huge Bowie Fan. I so wish we could have seen some more of Bowie in Twin Peaks. To be clear none of it is my work. All I did was edit it and add some Moby & Badalamenti music and some noises by Dean Hurley. Having said that, it took me quite a long time to put together because I've never really done any significant video editing. (it's still a bit of a rough edit, there are a few glitches I think (less than a second long so no biggie, plus they could be "artistic flourishes"!).

The weird thing is if you have no idea where any of the original footage comes from, the end product seems VERY like The Return in atmosphere and plot (what little there is!)

So It's 1.5GB 15minutes long so I do not know what to do with it but I was thinking of trying to put it up in some cloud type thing that anyone could access, but again if Showtime/CBS or whoever read dugpa they may again be able to shut it down. I'll try and have a think about how we could get it around....
Do you have any ideas? I know 1.5GB is too big for an email attachment...

All ideas for where I could put this Part Zero so people could download it would be gratefully accepted :-)
Xavi
RR Diner Member

Post by Xavi »

Qubism wrote:Hi Xavi,

I think you are in the right frame of mind. Lynch keeps mentioning in interviews in the last few days/weeks that he feels that TV is the new Arthouse.
We have to see that the word Art is in Arthouse. ...and he is an actual Artist.

This was never going to be a beginning a middle and a happy end. ...but that's Ok, it's a just a ride... (Bill Hicks told me that). It is an experience, visual moving art with sound and a soundtrack. I wonder if any viewers have ever looked at any of the 100% genuine video art of the type you might find in Tate Modern Art Gallery. It is pretty far out there and not much of it does anything for me, but Twin Peaks espesh The Return/S3 seems to be art with characters, an atmosphere, a narrative, it just might not be the narrative many fans were wanting!
Hi to you too, Qubism,

Thanks for the encouragement. Well, you know what they say "Curiosity killed the cat," whereas if there is one property needed to dive into this vast network of possibilities, which indeed may be called as you say "Art," for me it is another wonderful movie in line with IE, then it is curiosity. To put it in a Tom Waitsian way "What's he building in there?"

Mary Sweeney:

There is a logic in all of David's films-it's just not a traditional one, and for me it makes my work much more interesting. I feel like a juggler walking across a tightrope and I am pretty focused on making sure that I absolutely stay on that tightrope while the balls are revolving in the air.
Interview Michael Horse - “Hawk”

“But everything, everything, makes sense in David's world. I said sometimes you have to meet him. You have to know David to understand what he does.”
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-f ... ew-1013513

Let's keep art alive ...
Rami Airola
RR Diner Member

Post by Rami Airola »

Xavi wrote:
SpookyDollhouse wrote:
"actual plot" I'm in pieces over here
If anything, Twin Peaks The Return is NOT A STORY, yet there is A STORY; The illusive truth of Club Silencio evolves into a tale not being told, but still got conveyed and spread as if a hypnotic spell were cast through the ether. A mind blowing achievement indeed.

The audience gets a vast network of occurrences, of scenes, of fragments, of imageries, of sounds and visions, implanted in its brain as if it were a seed. This seed will grow in the fertile surroundings of the subconscious until some tiny little sprouts, buds and first green leaves reach awareness. It causes a troubling conflict between intellect and intuition: There is no story, yet there is a story.

DISCLAMIER: This only works for the open minded ones, for the curious ones, for the ones that know there is more than what trigger the senses, and for the ones that are bored to death by straight forward narratives.
All of that is ok and good - when those bits and pieces are interesting.

Creating something in an unorthodox way is not enough. I don't require scenes that make sense. I don't require scenes that logically follow each other. All I require is content that is interesting.
Twin Peaks Season 3 failed to do that. No amount of saying how unique the form of the season was changes the fact that in the end, for me, a lot of the things I saw in the season were either lukewarm or bad stuff.

What comes to this topic, yeah, I would be interested to see new smaller stand-alone pieces of Twin Peaks. At least there wouldn't be any unfulfilled expectations based on the length of the thing :D
Qubism
Roadhouse Member

Post by Qubism »

Hmmmm..... regarding the expectations that some have or had, I'm reminded of an interview with David Sylvian where he spoke about his music, the traditional-ish song forms versus the "difficult" (wrong word.....different or improvisational instrumentals....)

Whatever.... this bit of the interview has some things to say about the artist's motivation and I think much of it could apply to what we saw in The Return:

"Sylvian's entire career has been one long series of fascinating curve-balls delivered in a sophisticated, unusually refined style, and it serves him well on A Victim Of Stars to see the manner in which he's continued to develop and explore new ideas. It's been confusing for fans, of course: he flip-flops from his more structured songwriting to improvised excursions with regularity, adopting different styles for which less stubborn individuals might hide behind pseudonyms. But that would be disloyal to his muse, it seems.

"There's no desire to alienate," he argues. "If the work doesn't communicate itself successfully then it's really a failure, in my opinion. But the flip-side of that is that you have to be true to the work itself, and some avenues you choose to walk down are just not going to be accessible for everyone, and I accept that. So if I'm working on a piece that is largely experimental and has very little familiar form to it, I know it's going to alienate a certain number of listeners. I've been doing this for a long time now, and the trick is to stay totally engrossed in what it is you're producing so that you follow your instincts. And sometimes that means you take a road that's slightly less traveled musically. I wouldn't want to dilute the work for the sake of making it accessible, because basically you're making the work weaker by diluting it, and you probably won't reach that many more people anyway. You can't second-guess an audience, and I think that's also underestimating the intelligence of your audience, and you might as well just go for it 100% and hope for the best."

Showtime's David Nevins told us in January that the show is the “pure heroin vision of David Lynch”

100% :lol:
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

Showtime want people who subscribe to them and stick around - how would that work with a short series of standalone parts? Does Showtime even have any history of doing such a thing?
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.
Qubism
Roadhouse Member

Post by Qubism »

I don't know how it would work business wise but if Lynch and Frost had an idea for say about 2 hours of Chet Desmond Convenience store madness, I would love it if they would fund it.

If you want to see another 2 hours of a kind of sequel to FWWM and it's only on showtime, I guess it would keep the TP interest going and some more peeps might subscribe. I think the thing with The Return is Showtime got a lot of media coverage and its almost seen as a prestige project, critically acclaimed, (award winning?) rather than a blockbuster TV with 100 million viewers.... but that prestige builds a brand etc driving growth etc etc

You can see why I'm not a media mogul eh? :lol:
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

Yeah I'd love to see Chris Isaak back. But I can see Showtime making a new 10 or 12 part Twin Peaks - or how about two more seasons? I think it works that you've got to have a full season - and the interest in the blu-ray coming out show that's a big part of it all too! :D
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.
SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

Post by SpookyDollhouse »

Rami Airola wrote: All of that is ok and good - when those bits and pieces are interesting.
They are. As with everything on the planet media related though, ymmv. I'm sorry you didn't find it interesting.
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

Qubism wrote:I wonder if any viewers have ever looked at any of the 100% genuine video art of the type you might find in Tate Modern Art Gallery. It is pretty far out there and not much of it does anything for me, but Twin Peaks espesh The Return/S3 seems to be art with characters, an atmosphere, a narrative, it just might not be the narrative many fans were wanting!
My partner and I have visited the Venice Biennale pointing at basically every video installation and going "on a scale of zero to the new Twin Peaks, ..." :lol: so yeah I see the parallel. The Most Twin Peaks turned out to be a Chinese work at the Arsenale. Good stuff.
(Incidentally, if you wanna throw that Jeffries thing of yours my way, via PM or something...)
NormoftheAndes wrote:Showtime want people who subscribe to them and stick around - how would that work with a short series of standalone parts? Does Showtime even have any history of doing such a thing?
Anthology series with each episode doing its own thing aren't common, but they are not unheard of either, especially when it comes to expanding preexisting franchises! I think Animatrix was the first famous one? The Star Wars cartoons are a little like that, and those recent shorts they made with their female characters are 100% like that...

ETA this was our winner in the "a lil bit Twin Peaks, but mostly '90s point and click videogame" category: https://youtu.be/jUFzs_RuOiI (and TPTR has so much in common with '90s point and click games, anyway)
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.