Favourite Music from the TP Collection to Date

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Novalis
RR Diner Member

Favourite Music from the TP Collection to Date

Post by Novalis »

I wanted to make this a poll but there are way too many options to add, so we'll do it this way.

You can pick a maximum of five pieces of music from anywhere among these official collections: Twin Peaks Season 1 Soundtrack, Twin Peaks Season 2 Music and More, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me Soundtrack, Twin Peaks (Limited Event Series Soundtrack), and Twin Peaks (Music from the Limited Event Series), The Twin Peaks Archive, and just for completeness, Dean Hurley's Anthology Resource Volume 1. That's these seven compilations:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

It's just for fun, btw.
Last edited by Novalis on Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: Favourite Music from the TP Collection to Date

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

No TP Archive?! Boo.

For me, it's "I Am" by BluntedBeatz all the way. It would be sacrilege to even mention another track in the same paragraph. ;)

Off the top of my head, "The World Spins," "Into the Night," "Sycamore Trees," "Birds in Hell," "The Pink Room." From the new show, "The Chair" and "Snake Eyes" are for sure up there, but not sure anything would make my top 5.
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:No TP Archive?! Boo.
Well, since it's official: eh, why not. I've added it.

Nice choices by the way. Sycamore Trees is absolutely in my top 5, as is the Badalamenti's Theme from Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me from the FWWM collection. And now I've got to add in Phillip Jefferies [sic] from the Archive collection too. It's one of those pieces of music that sort of blurs the distinction between score and sound design, but it has always deeply affected me. Trouble's Snake Eyes definitely makes the cut, from the new Roadhouse collection. Then I'm torn between Moving Through Time, Dark Space Low, and, surprisingly, Mississippi. I think I'll go with the latter, if only because it is really not the kind of music I normally listen to but I find it strangely more and more compelling on every listen. Sad to have to exclude so many other favourites. :(

Stupid rules. Who made this poll? :lol:
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Laura Palmer's Theme
Dark Mood Woods (Studio Version)
Owl Cave
Audrey's Prayer (Synth Version)
Half Speed Orchestra 1 (Stair Music / Danger Theme)

Tough. Really tough. Anthology Resource Vol. 1 should be an option as well.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

Jerry Horne wrote:Anthology Resource Vol. 1 should be an option as well.
I guess so. Stretching music and sound design into one another in places, but I already said that with a track from the archive, so what the hell. I feel like Cardinal Ximenez here. :lol:
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Realized that one of my choices, "The World Spins," technically isn't on any official TP release! As a runner-up, it's tempting to pick one of the obvious classic favorites ("Falling," LPT, "Dance of the Dream Man," "Dark Mood Woods"), but I'll go a tad more obscure/eclectic and say "I'm Hurt Bad." I can't hear that one without smiling, even after all these years.

EDIT: Whoops, NVM. Of course TWS was finally "canonized" as a TP soundtrack release on the new "Music" release for S3. Still, I'm glad I made the error so I could give "I'm Hurt Bad" a much-deserved shoutout! 8)
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

phew that's a tough one.. it's amazing how much incredible music we got out of this series!!
this recent obsession actually made me go back and pick up all of the other Lynch / Badalamenti soundtracks and then some..

and both of the new Twin Peaks soundtracks are still in constant rotation.

"Theme From Fire Walk With Me"
"Sycamore Trees"
"Moving Through Time"
"Laura Palmer's Theme"
"Accident / Farewell Theme"

as for best Peaks album that i play front-to-back it's between Fire Walk With Me and the score to The Return
Saturn's child
RR Diner Member

Post by Saturn's child »

Phillip Jeffries
Dark Space Low
Nightsea Wind
Sycamore Trees
Theme from Fire Walk With Me

(Shout out: Hook Rug Dance)
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

I got completely lost in all those releases of Twin Peaks music - album-wise I stick to the original soundtrack, the FWWM soundtrack and Julee Cruisse's Floating Into The Night. Of all the rest I've listened to, like, 5% perhaps?..

But I do know Twin Peaks and its music... so why not take part!

1. Whatever marvels came on the way the one and only favourite of mine will always be Laura Palmer's Theme. Angelo, it's beautiful!

2. Fire Walk With Me Theme. Totally brilliant.

3. The World Spins. I'm so sorry...

4. Sycamore Trees from the Black Lodge. Thrrrills!

5. Dark Mood Woods if I am correct with the title... it's the one from Ep.29 isn't it? Totally love how it was used in the last episode, floating from scene to scene.
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
dkenny78
RR Diner Member

Post by dkenny78 »

It's hard for me to divorce the music from the visuals but I love the version of the main theme that plays when Ben Horne watches home movies of the Great Northern groundbreaking ceremony (I believe it's called "Twin Peaks Theme (Harp and Guitar)" on the Archive album). I also love the "Hook Rug Dance," especially when Angela reworked it into a love theme of sorts towards the end of S2.

But my absolute favorite has to be "Dark Mood Woods." Was there ever a spookier, more foreboding tune in the history of music?
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

As an album, FWWM is hands down the winner. Not only is the music some of Badalamenti's best work, but the sequencing and editing makes it a great album in and of itself. The way the Montage blends the Love Theme and Falling is incredible.

My top individual tracks:
- Sycamore Trees
- The Pink Room
- Moving Through Time
- Montage from Twin Peaks
- Questions in a World of Blue
- The Red Room
- Dark Mood Woods
- Rockin' Back Inside My Heart

And the various half-speed orchestral stuff was easily the scariest of all.

Nothing from The Return quite matched up to the above in quality - aside from the music that accompanied the Atomic Bomb sequence, that was pretty chilling.
oxyboldine
Roadhouse Member

Post by oxyboldine »

"Dark Mood Woods"
"Theme from Fire walk with me"
"Shelly"
"Sycamore Tree"
"Farewell/The accident"
"Heartbreaking"