3%
Julee Cruise
3%

Total votes: 100
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: Poll: Worst Roadhouse performance

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Mistertom wrote:Honestly I was surprised they chose that song of hers to play. I was kind of thinking it would be “everywhere I go” , check it out if you liked the song she performed on twin peaks ! I agree it was an odd choice for the show. Highly recommend seeing her live in person if she comes your way sometime !
Listened to “Everywhere I Go”; pretty song and I agree that it would have felt more Peaksy, but also wouldn’t have stood out as much. “Wild West” is so fist-pumpingly (again, for lack of a better word) joyous. I think that’s part of the reason a lot of people are down on the performance, but I also think it’s a brilliantly idiosyncratic choice. It’s a much-needed upbeat note on the soundtrack album, and onscreen it’s a great showcase for her showmanship. It also seems like with a few exceptions (“Lark,” “Tarifa”), DKL was mostly interested in using relatively new material from the various artists.

The Roadhouse scenes have introduced me to so many artists whose discographies I want to explore further, but I would definitely check out a Lissie concert if she rolls through!
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Mb3 wrote:I also voted for Au Revoir Simone even though I loved their second song (can't remember the name right now), Lark was my least favorite track and also performance of the Return.
Funny that so many of us seem to feel this way, and yet Dean Hurley said DKL specifically wanted the 2006 track “Lark” in the show, whereas it seems like “A Violent Yet Flammable World” (off their latest release) seems to have been a bit more thrown-into-the-mix.
Mb3
RR Diner Member

Post by Mb3 »

Yeah, that's strange. I remember when I watched part 4 I thought damn this song is boring but then again “A Violent Yet Flammable World” is a nice song and I also enjoyed the performance better in part 9. One more thing No Stars from Ms. Del Rio is one of my favorite if not the favorite out of all the performances but why did they have to mess around the song with auto tune (is it even auto tune ? or what else did they use to distort her voice ?). Otherwise this song would be perfect for me.
David Locke
RR Diner Member

Post by David Locke »

I liked Lissie's song, haven't heard anything else from her but I thought it was quite good and she has a great stage presence - it was one of the more compelling performances because it seemed more like it could be "real" and not just lip-synched etc (insert Club Silencio reference here).

I voted for Sharon Van Etten - it's an okay song, not outright bad per se, but it's a bit draggy and a bit whiny almost. It's aiming at an emotional resonance which makes sense given the highly charged content of Part 6, but the whole tone of her voice and the music just doesn't work for Twin Peaks for me, it's a little too ordinary. Which I'd actually say is somewhat true for Lissie as well but not to the same extent - I'd guess that most vote Lissie the worst because maybe she doesn't have much of a TP vibe to her music, not that song anyway. That's the only thing I could say against it really, otherwise it was good stuff. But Sharon's tune was kinda a slog.

Otherwise, I actually would vote James Marshall's lowly as it was just the same exact track as Episode 9 and it didn't do enough new things with it to feel like much more of a nostalgia-fest... it was fun and all the first viewing, when he was announced and all, but it's a bit repetitive as a song to say the least and so for a Roadhouse performance it falls short - despite the thing with Renee which was at least some kind of engaging thread. I'd prefer though if we got a bit more backstory on James in the last 25 years, perhaps confirming that Donna had died after an accident on his bike, and he's been a broken and guilt-filled shell of his former self since then, or whatever.. that would give this performance much much more power. As is, it's just a bit empty. But it was moving simply to see the older James's face and his newly shaved head and to contemplate that passage of time.

I would hardly vote it worst but I will say Rebekah Del Rio's autotune made her song more frustrating than it should be. It's a long song and a bit samey or repetitive already - though otherwise quite gorgeous - so having that autotune effect where it sounds like a robot is singing every 30 seconds.... didn't help.

Loved Trouble, Cactus Blossoms, Chromatics, and NIN to an extent. Au Revoir Simone were good. Lukewarm on Vedder, The Veils, and Cruise - look, if we're evaluating these as performances then the whole scene of The World Spins just was disappointing. Yes it was cool the way it cut in at the end from that devastating moment in the forest, yes it was lit nicely and Lynch wisely didn't cut from the wide shot of the band to any Roadhouse activity or crowd shots, and of course it's an absolutely incredible song, no doubt about that. BUT, it was already put to perfect use in the Roadhouse in Episode 14. And so I can only associate the song with that amazing sequence when I hear it. I suspect many others are similar. So it's unfortunate to bring it back and try to make it work for a whole other scene and context when it's already so solidly rooted in that ending of Maddie's murder, Bobby looking lost, Donna sobbing, "I'm so sorry," etc. Plus, it was just a tiny snippet of the song. Why? I understand Cruise's anger, especially for her to only get this bit of a song while everyone else gets an entire song played. So why use that bit at all then? It worked for me as a tonal placeholder between 17 and 18 and a way of setting a mood, but it still is a big disappointment that this is all Cruise was given to do.
The Gazebo
RR Diner Member

Post by The Gazebo »

David Locke wrote:I would hardly vote it worst but I will say Rebekah Del Rio's autotune made her song more frustrating than it should be. It's a long song and a bit samey or repetitive already - though otherwise quite gorgeous - so having that autotune effect where it sounds like a robot is singing every 30 seconds.... didn't help.
Yeah, the song is gorgeous and very Peaksy, but listening through headphones I almost threw a hissy fit. The vocals just violently attacked my ears at certain points.
David Locke wrote:Loved Trouble, Cactus Blossoms, Chromatics, and NIN to an extent.
Agree. Loved all of these.
pixletwin
Roadhouse Member

Post by pixletwin »

Man... you guys are breaking my heart. The Sharon van Etten song is my favorite of the whole season.
Mistertom
Roadhouse Member

Post by Mistertom »

pixletwin wrote:Man... you guys are breaking my heart. The Sharon van Etten song is my favorite of the whole season.

I LOVED the Sharon van etten song !
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

pixletwin wrote:Man... you guys are breaking my heart. The Sharon van Etten song is my favorite of the whole season.
For me, it was a dreadful song/performance wrapping up a dreadful episode!!
The Gazebo
RR Diner Member

Post by The Gazebo »

Gabriel wrote:
For me, it was a dreadful song/performance wrapping up a dreadful episode!!
I can't remember the song, but I detested it at the time. Nor can I remember the episode number, or what preceeded it in the episode. It was just one of those mundane things rounding off a mundane episode.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

The Gazebo wrote: For me, it was a dreadful song/performance wrapping up a dreadful episode!!
I can't remember the song, but I detested it at the time. Nor can I remember the episode number, or what preceeded it in the episode. It was just one of those mundane things rounding off a mundane episode.[/quote]
Yeah, it was one of those episodes that just stopped after 50 minutes of boring crap, followed by a shite song. TPTR in a nutshell!
BGate
RR Diner Member

Post by BGate »

Not only is it one of the best of the songs/performances, it fits the the tone/caps off the (absolutely wonderful) episode as well as any of them.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

BGate wrote:Not only is it one of the best of the songs/performances, it fits the the tone/caps off the (absolutely wonderful) episode as well as any of them.
Don't worry about it. Gabriel and a few others were trolling around spouting negativity, long before the season even started airing. I personally don't see the point in spending such a vast amount of a brief lifetime doing such. I also wish the headline for this thread could be "Best Roadhouse Performance".
pixletwin
Roadhouse Member

Poll: Worst Roadhouse performance

Post by pixletwin »

BGate wrote:Not only is it one of the best of the songs/performances, it fits the the tone/caps off the (absolutely wonderful) episode as well as any of them.
Exactly. Her lyrics fit perfectly with Coop becoming Dougie Coop.
BGate
RR Diner Member

Post by BGate »

eyeboogers wrote:
Don't worry about it. Gabriel and a few others were trolling around spouting negativity, long before the season even started airing. I personally don't see the point in spending such a vast amount of a brief lifetime doing such. I also wish the headline for this thread could be "Best Roadhouse Performance".
Wasn't responding to anyone really, just giving my take on the topic. I don't sweat the Coffee and Pie brigade.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

eyeboogers wrote:[

Don't worry about it. Gabriel and a few others were trolling around spouting negativity, long before the season even started airing.
I hardly think that's fair nor true to fact.