TP:TR. Full 18-hour experience

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

BGate
RR Diner Member

Re: TP:TR. Full 18-hour experience

Post by BGate »

Sabrina mentioned in her AMA that she is working on an upcoming Lynch retrospective. She didn't say where it was (presumably somewhere in LA or NY) , but I wonder if this will be the first opportunity to screen The Return, or least parts of it.
writersblock
RR Diner Member

Post by writersblock »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
writersblock wrote:I cannot wait for the Blu Ray release.
Indeed! Since 5/21, I've been watching on the Showtime Anytime app, throwing the feed up on my TV screen (I don't have cable). I've found the app to be glitchy in a way that HBO Go, Netflix, and similar apps are not, frequently freezing and needing to be refreshed. Not the ideal way to experience a primarily mood-based work! I can't wait to watch the show all the way through with no aggravation, and the ability to rewind and pause without getting up and disturbing my dog!
Amen!

I think it's amazing that, as technology gets more advanced, we get more hassles like this. And we settle for it!!!! I am always an earlier adopter of new technologies and software and hardware and then I complain complain and complain. I should wait until they iron out all the glitches and then glide in :-)
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

Yaxo, it's great you were able to do it and it sounds to me... well, logistically so impossible that I don't even know what to say. Obviously I would sort of like to do that, too... and perhaps I will one day, who knows. Although my feelings towards The Return are growing colder and colder and I've come to the point when I don't really feel like rewatching any of the episodes, not to mention whole 18 hours.
However, I realise how it works - the moment it gets me started again, I will sink into it and I might want to watch all of it.

Cheers to you and your family! It's perfect that you could have wathced it together!

But c'mon?... Cohesive?... Rushed...? What were you on? :mrgreen:
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

yaxomoxay wrote:This post was originally intended for the Disappointed group as during the months I had pretty amazing conversations with them; however, I decided to open another thread because I feared that it would’ve been seen as trolling.
Last weekend a friend of mine, my wife, my kids (15yo and 11yo boys), and I did the full run of TP:TR. All 18 episodes in a row, no break, no pauses. For the record, my kids didn’t watch most of the episodes (which they have seen already) in the single-sitting session, but they watched probably a good 75% of it.
Fueled by coffee (gallons of it, and we brewed it using different methods, including pour over), donuts, cherry pie, and a non-lynchian pizza we started at 7:45am.

I have to say, what an incredible experience. I think that entertainment-wise I have never seen something like that. It really changed the viewing experience, my understanding of it, and even how it relates to time itself. Talking to my friend, he’s of the same opinion, and so is my wife. (My kids just want S4, and my 15yo now wants to watch all of Lynch’s movies... which I didn’t even see!).

First of all, and I realize it might sound like a joke but I assure you it’s not, the show felt rushed. Yep, I said it: rushed. During my first and second views of the show, some scenes seemed to drag on. Watching the whole feature film in a single sitting completely changed my perspective. Audrey’s first scene, which I felt it was a bad scene that dragged forever, felt fast... and incredibly funny. Obviously twelve hours will make 10 minutes go fast, but that was extreme.

Furthermore, it all felt pieced together. This work is as cohesive as it could be. One of the main complaints I had was how certain things felt disconnected (Roadhouse scenes anyone?). They are not, at least not in the sense that they do not belong there. They are intermezzos used to set a mood, to explain a state of confusion and of regular life. I don’t even care about Tina anymore because in the grand design she doesn’t matter, she’s just one of the many wheels of the (Disney’s song roaring) Circle of Life.

Ultimately, I think that TP:TR does not narrates chronologies. It narrates states of consciousness and the proof is that Cooper goes back to the lodge and changes/re-lives prior events (in the Lodge) to enter Richard’s universe... where he is still Cooper and Laura is still Laura.
I thought for a while that deleting Laura’s murder created a sort of new timeline, but it doesn’t make much sense because the Palmers bought the house before Laura was born. Deleting the murder would’ve changed what followed, not what was before.

I strongly suggest everyone to do this. Has anyone else lived through the 18 hour long movie in a single sitting?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I posted about this in early September, as I took the plunge on the Tuesday after the show ended. I wholeheartedly agree with everything you've said! I also started at around 7:30 in the morning. I was dog sitting so I had to take a few breaks, so I ended up finishing close to 4 am. But my God was it an unbelievable experience.

Watching it in an 18-hour chunk felt awesomely cohesive, and nothing seemed slow, and nothing felt incomplete. Watching it knowing the destination opens up new meanings and interpretations, and I believe the finale in particular really drives home all of the themes regarding returning, revivals, time, aging, identity (the entire thing is about Cooper's identity as much as anything, which the finale makes clear) and trauma. I've always been against criticizing the show for its confrontational treatment of gender (analysis is great, and I've enjoyed the deep analysis in the gender thread; negative criticism, imo, shouldn't apply as it is missing the deeply humanist point and the psychological mapping), and that final scream brings home and sums up the trauma that was mapped over the female gender and the town itself throughout the show. Such a powerhouse.

To reply to Mr. Reindeer's query about how Yaxomoxay watched, I watched every opening credits and closing credits. I'd still love to see a cut with one opening credits sequence and one closing credits sequence, but watching all of the credits didn't detract from the flow of the film; it helps that the opening credits are so elegant. Nor do the bands, which I would always want kept in the film as they are such an emotional, mood-based part of the experience, as their songs majorly tie in to the themes throughout. It's almost like the Roadhouse is a sentient being, sensing shifts in the mood of the town/world.
Last edited by LateReg on Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Gazebo
RR Diner Member

Post by The Gazebo »

yaxomoxay wrote:This post was originally intended for the Disappointed group as during the months I had pretty amazing conversations with them; however, I decided to open another thread because I feared that it would’ve been seen as trolling.
Last weekend a friend of mine, my wife, my kids (15yo and 11yo boys), and I did the full run of TP:TR. All 18 episodes in a row, no break, no pauses. For the record, my kids didn’t watch most of the episodes (which they have seen already) in the single-sitting session, but they watched probably a good 75% of it.
Fueled by coffee (gallons of it, and we brewed it using different methods, including pour over), donuts, cherry pie, and a non-lynchian pizza we started at 7:45am.

I strongly suggest everyone to do this. Has anyone else lived through the 18 hour long movie in a single sitting?
I was always looking forward to this, "knowing" that the finale would shed some light on the previous 16 episodes. And then everything that came before it was rendered insignificant by the finale. I'm not the only one with this view, but the finale was kind of interesting. However, at the same time it killed my urge to watch the earlier episodes. I haven't watched a single minute since the finale, and nor do I have any plans to watch the whole thing. That's probably my biggest disappointment - it was always a lifeline for me as I struggled through some of the earlier episodes.

(PS. Just wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for some great banter and discussions throughout the summer in the other thread. Really enjoyed it. Here's hoping you and your family will enjoy the Return for years to come, yaxomoxay :D )
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

LateReg wrote:To reply to Mr. Reindeer's query about how Yaxomoxay watched, I watched every opening credits and closing credits. I'd still love to see a cut with one opening credits sequence and one closing credits sequence, but watching all of the credits didn't detract from the flow of the film; it helps that the opening credits are so elegant.
If there were an official 18-hour edit with only one opening credit sequence, I'd want it use the original, longer version of the theme. I've never been comfortable with the truncated version, which simply doesn't unfold with the same gracefulness. It would present a nice opportunity to mix in a few more beautiful visuals.

It's quite possible that both a longer and shorter cut of the season 3 intro were made, before they ultimately settled upon the short version. A fan with some skill and imagination could make a longer cut, but I'd much rather see such a thing handled by Lynch.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

BOB1 wrote:Yaxo, it's great you were able to do it and it sounds to me... well, logistically so impossible that I don't even know what to say. Obviously I would sort of like to do that, too... and perhaps I will one day, who knows.
May the blueray player rise up to your TV set! :)
Although my feelings towards The Return are growing colder and colder and I've come to the point when I don't really feel like rewatching any of the episodes, not to mention whole 18 hours.
However, I realise how it works - the moment it gets me started again, I will sink into it and I might want to watch all of it.
Lol, probably :) Of course our full immersion into TP:TR (and TP in general) might leave some sort of physical and emotional strain, but I bet than in a few months you will rewatch the whole thing.
But c'mon?... Cohesive?... Rushed...? What were you on? :mrgreen:
I guess that 18 hours of TP:TR really messed up with my judgment, and my sanity in general!
Seriously, viewing the show in one sitting completely revolutionize my experience up to the point that I find the idea of watching one or two episodes unattractive. I’d rather wait an watch the whole thing again in one sitting (maybe two) than splitting it up in several pieces. I don’t know, the pacing feels just... different.

yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

LateReg wrote:

I have to say, what an incredible experience. I think that entertainment-wise I have never seen something like that. It really changed the viewing experience, my understanding of it, and even how it relates to time itself. Talking to my friend, he’s of the same opinion, and so is my wife. (My kids just want S4, and my 15yo now wants to watch all of Lynch’s movies... which I didn’t even see!).

First of all, and I realize it might sound like a joke but I assure you it’s not, the show felt rushed. Yep, I said it: rushed. During my first and second views of the show, some scenes seemed to drag on. Watching the whole feature film in a single sitting completely changed my perspective. Audrey’s first scene, which I felt it was a bad scene that dragged forever, felt fast... and incredibly funny. Obviously twelve hours will make 10 minutes go fast, but that was extreme.

Furthermore, it all felt pieced together. This work is as cohesive as it could be. One of the main complaints I had was how certain things felt disconnected (Roadhouse scenes anyone?). They are not, at least not in the sense that they do not belong there. They are intermezzos used to set a mood, to explain a state of confusion and of regular life. I don’t even care about Tina anymore because in the grand design she doesn’t matter, she’s just one of the many wheels of the (Disney’s song roaring) Circle of Life.

Ultimately, I think that TP:TR does not narrates chronologies. It narrates states of consciousness and the proof is that Cooper goes back to the lodge and changes/re-lives prior events (in the Lodge) to enter Richard’s universe... where he is still Cooper and Laura is still Laura.
I thought for a while that deleting Laura’s murder created a sort of new timeline, but it doesn’t make much sense because the Palmers bought the house before Laura was born. Deleting the murder would’ve changed what followed, not what was before.

I posted about this in early September, as I took the plunge on the Tuesday after the show ended. I wholeheartedly agree with everything you've said! I also started at around 7:30 in the morning. I was dog sitting so I had to take a few breaks, so I ended up finishing close to 4 am. But my God was it an unbelievable experience.

Watching it in an 18-hour chunk felt awesomely cohesive, and nothing seemed slow, and nothing felt incomplete. Watching it knowing the destination opens up new meanings and interpretations, and I believe the finale in particular really drives home all of the themes regarding returning, revivals, time, aging, identity (the entire thing is about Cooper's identity as much as anything, which the finale makes clear) and trauma. I've always been against criticizing the show for its confrontational treatment of gender (analysis is great, and I've enjoyed the deep analysis in the gender thread; negative criticism, imo, shouldn't apply as it is missing the deeply humanist point and the psychological mapping), and that final scream brings home and sums up the trauma that was mapped over the female gender and the town itself throughout the show. Such a powerhouse.

To reply to Mr. Reindeer's query about how Yaxomoxay watched, I watched every opening credits and closing credits. I'd still love to see a cut with one opening credits sequence and one closing credits sequence, but watching all of the credits didn't detract from the flow of the film; it helps that the opening credits are so elegant. Nor do the bands, which I would always want kept in the film as they are such an emotional, mood-based part of the experience, as their songs majorly tie in to the themes throughout. It's almost like the Roadhouse is a sentient being, sensing shifts in the mood of the town/world.

Exactly! It’s completely different... up to the point that my friend and I already decided not only that we will re-watch in exactly 12 months, but since February 24 (Laura’s death) is going to fall on a Saturday, we will watch S1, plus selected episodes of S2 on that day!

yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

The Gazebo wrote:

I was always looking forward to this, "knowing" that the finale would shed some light on the previous 16 episodes. And then everything that came before it was rendered insignificant by the finale. I'm not the only one with this view, but the finale was kind of interesting. However, at the same time it killed my urge to watch the earlier episodes. I haven't watched a single minute since the finale, and nor do I have any plans to watch the whole thing. That's probably my biggest disappointment - it was always a lifeline for me as I struggled through some of the earlier episodes.

(PS. Just wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for some great banter and discussions throughout the summer in the other thread. Really enjoyed it. Here's hoping you and your family will enjoy the Return for years to come, yaxomoxay :D )
(Thank you, it was a pleasure to discuss/argue/yell with you on the other thread)

As for the finale, after the 18 hours I don’t really know exactly what to say. It felt to me like a “going back to reality” piece. I am not sure how to describe it to you - and it might change next year - but the finale felt like the most realistic part of all three seasons, with just the very tiny exception of the last two seconds.

One thing that really surprised me is how much I enjoyed the seemingly senseless Roadhouse scenes.

BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

Nowhere near an 18 hour watch, of course, but lately I have come across parts 10-18 screened on HBO one by one (as far as I've seen even without commercials between, however including all the opening and closing credits). I suppose parts 1-9 had been on the previous day or week. Anyway, I tuned in at the beginning of Part 10 and so it happened that I watched till the end of Pt.13, although falling asleep here and there as it was very late.

I will admit that it felt much better this way. I'm not convinced to the word 'coherent' but at least it didn't strike me as incoherent. Another thing is that Pts 10 and 11 (and, say, the first half of 12) I'd enjoyed at the first viewing, too and it was around late Pt 12 that I started dozing off so perhaps not so much has changed... Still, what I think HAS changed is that while I had no expectations whatsoever (didn't even intend to watch, it happened accidentally), and while I also knew that plots came to no conclusion etc., I found watching these loosely connected scenes enjoyable and interesting. Not sure if you know what I mean: when you expect narrative coherence, you wait for things to happen -> they don't -> you get pissed off. When you watch it more like a collage of various elements which have something in common but not necessarily storywise, the tension's off. You know: a bit like looking at a landscape, the trees and the river and the birds are all parts of the same ladscape but you don't really expect them to influence one another in a clear way.

I'm not sure if perceiving The Return as narrative landscape is really the proper way but I'm trying ;)
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Like Yaxomoxay and I were saying, this writer agrees that the 18-hour marathon makes this thing flow like a river:

https://decider.com/2017/11/24/twin-pea ... -marathon/
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

Personally, I can't imagine that watching in one sitting (or close to it) would be a valuable experience or enhance the show. Just from a time perspective, It's not something I would do. The problems with the show weren't all about how it flowed. Poor narrative and character choices aren't going to disappear if one watches it strung together. In fact they may become more glaring.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
Xavi
RR Diner Member

Post by Xavi »

IcedOver wrote:Personally, I can't imagine that watching in one sitting (or close to it) would be a valuable experience or enhance the show. Just from a time perspective, It's not something I would do. The problems with the show weren't all about how it flowed. Poor narrative and character choices aren't going to disappear if one watches it strung together. In fact they may become more glaring.
Without curiosity the world would stop spinning. A long long time ago when I was a kid, I still am btw, my parents read me stories, which I did not understand. Time and time again as they retold and reread these stories I was delighted, and each time I thought that I almost comprehended every detailed meaning. Now that I am older and wiser, albeit still a pinocchio-friend, my preference for complex stories survived through the years, whereas the popular straight-plot narratives feel extremely boring and outdated to me. You seen one or once, you seen them all and ever again. But Twin Peaks Season 3 is something completely different, it's an adventure, it's a journey, it's like life itself: a mystery. This brings me back to my very first beginning of an innocent child listening to stories; such a wonderful and strange experience.

An 18 hour enduring watch? I would not recommend it. Sleep deprivation is very bad. If anything awareness is crucial for keeping curiosity alive.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

IcedOver wrote:Personally, I can't imagine that watching in one sitting (or close to it) would be a valuable experience or enhance the show. Just from a time perspective, It's not something I would do. The problems with the show weren't all about how it flowed. Poor narrative and character choices aren't going to disappear if one watches it strung together. In fact they may become more glaring.
The show is a real puzzler, no doubt. I don't see any poor narrative and character choices - but I do see odd, against the grain ones that often tie into the show's greater themes and meaning. And these odd ones certainly make more sense when watching it all at once, or in large chunks over the course of a few days, in part because of the unbroken flow which can have the effect of making everything more dreamlike, and in part because everything seems consistent as the narrative spirals outward into directions one may not want or anticipate it to go.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

LateReg wrote:Like Yaxomoxay and I were saying, this writer agrees that the 18-hour marathon makes this thing flow like a river:

https://decider.com/2017/11/24/twin-pea ... -marathon/
Thank you for sharing this article! I agree with most - if not all - of it. The author described the change of flow in a great way. I am almost sorry that I didn’t wait for the show to be over before watching it for the first time as an 18 hour marathon.