What Did Laura Whisper?

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Rhiannon

Re: What Did Laura Whisper?

Post by Rhiannon »

dreamshake wrote:I think Cooper fails to realize that Leland is culpable for his actions on some level. So he'd still be shocked to hear from Laura that "my father killed me."
Interesting, never thought about that...like that theory.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Maybe she once more told him the killer's (BOB) name, Cooper himself in this case.

No way Lynch directed her to ad-lib just whatever. That wouldn't suit his style at all. He is so in to details, also unnoticeable ones.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

I would say "we live inside a dream," but it seems like she's saying a lot more than just one line.

Also, it looked like Coop pulled away from her as she kept whispering to him as though he didn't want to hear anymore because it was too terrible.
PsychoFox
Roadhouse Member

Post by PsychoFox »

It's a way for Frost & Lynch to put back a secret, because the sentence was revealed in season 2.

For me, Laura told Cooper "I can't be saved".
Last edited by PsychoFox on Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Archivist
Roadhouse Member

Post by The Archivist »

Sheryl told Kyle "my son is actually David's".
Manwith
RR Diner Member

Post by Manwith »

Soolsma wrote:Maybe she once more told him the killer's (BOB) name, Cooper himself in this case.

No way Lynch directed her to ad-lib just whatever. That wouldn't suit his style at all. He is so in to details, also unnoticeable ones.
It isn't a clue. You aren't supposed to know what she said. If the audience isn't supposed to hear it, it makes sense that it would be an ad-lib. Even if it wasn't an ad-lib, it should be something like nonsense talk to prevent you from figuring it out. It's not a puzzle, the fact that you don't know what it is is the whole point.

It's the final image of the show, unspeakable secrets that cannot be said aloud. You will never know what she said, and you aren't supposed to.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Manwith wrote:
Soolsma wrote:Maybe she once more told him the killer's (BOB) name, Cooper himself in this case.

It isn't a clue. You aren't supposed to know what she said. If the audience isn't supposed to hear it, it makes sense that it would be an ad-lib. Even if it wasn't an ad-lib, it should be something like nonsense talk to prevent you from figuring it out. It's not a puzzle, the fact that you don't know what it is is the whole point.

It's the final image of the show, unspeakable secrets that cannot be said aloud. You will never know what she said, and you aren't supposed to.
Correct. Just like Lynch and Frost did not originally want to ever solve the Laura Palmer murder mystery until their hand was forced by ABC.

However, I think the intellectual exercise of trying to figure out what Laura may have said is a good one.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

mtwentz wrote:
Manwith wrote:

Correct. Just like Lynch and Frost did not originally want to ever solve the Laura Palmer murder mystery until their hand was forced by ABC.
However, Lynch and Frost did for themselves identify who the killer was, way before the forced reveal. If I recall correctly it was not long after the pilot.

And yes, I am very aware that we aren't supposed to know nor figure it out. I felt that would be stating the obvious. I would like to note though, that to Lynch -and thereby to us- this is very much a puzzle, waiting to be solved (or not). Lynch has said on multiple occasions that the creative process is like being in a room, whereby the whole of the product is already complete in the room next to it. Slowly he takes out his rod and starts reeling the ideas in, bit by bit. I feel that in that sense Laura definitely whispered something in his ear; whether we know, Lynch knows, Lee knows or nobody does.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Manwith
RR Diner Member

Post by Manwith »

Soolsma wrote:

And yes, I am very aware that we aren't supposed to know nor figure it out.
Since there's a subset of fandom that seems to think we're supposed to create youtube videos playing two scenes side by side in order to unlock secret meanings, I thought it was worth pointing out that David Lynch isn't The Riddler.
mine
Roadhouse Member

Post by mine »

PsychoFox wrote:It's a way for Frost & Lynch to put back a secret, because the sentence was revealed in season 2.

For me, Laura told Cooper "I can't be saved".
It seems like a way longer sentence.
Shloogorgh
RR Diner Member

Post by Shloogorgh »

There was a Reddit thread that isolated and adjusted the sounds from the scene in episode 2 and came up with:

"Don't assume, nobody can spot your dark suit but me."
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Manwith wrote:
Soolsma wrote:

And yes, I am very aware that we aren't supposed to know nor figure it out.
Since there's a subset of fandom that seems to think we're supposed to create youtube videos playing two scenes side by side in order to unlock secret meanings, I thought it was worth pointing out that David Lynch isn't The Riddler.
:) Fair enough
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Soolsma wrote:
mtwentz wrote:
Manwith wrote:

However, Lynch and Frost did for themselves identify who the killer was, way before the forced reveal. If I recall correctly it was not long after the pilot.

And yes, I am very aware that we aren't supposed to know nor figure it out. I felt that would be stating the obvious. I would like to note though, that to Lynch -and thereby to us- this is very much a puzzle, waiting to be solved (or not). Lynch has said on multiple occasions that the creative process is like being in a room, whereby the whole of the product is already complete in the room next to it. Slowly he takes out his rod and starts reeling the ideas in, bit by bit. I feel that in that sense Laura definitely whispered something in his ear; whether we know, Lynch knows, Lee knows or nobody does.
Yeah, I guess it's up for debate whether they really were 'never' going to reveal the killer. I don't see how they could have gotten away with that without being run out of Hollywood on a rail.

Laura's whispering in Dale's ear is a little easier for them to get away with. It wasn't the focus of the show like Laura Palmer's murder was the focus of the original run.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
PsychoFox
Roadhouse Member

Post by PsychoFox »

mine wrote:
PsychoFox wrote: For me, Laura told Cooper "I can't be saved".
It seems like a way longer sentence.
Yes, I agree.
I meant a sentence of this kind.
writersblock
RR Diner Member

Post by writersblock »

You know what I don't get? Why people need to be so down on other people's ideas.

That is, to me, the beauty of Lynch stuff. Openness to debate. I mean, we could talk about his films and shows forever and all have different (if sometimes similar) ideas.

Who cares if someone has put something on Youtube showing the scene where Dougie is going to drink poisoned coffee side by side with Nadine's cheerleaders trial? What actual harm are they doing you? If you don't like theories you have two choices (you actually have three - but you have two respectful choices)

1. Ignore it
2, Debate it.

Is there any need for snarky "I think you're an idiot" or sarcastic replies?

We have been given a gift. We're all fans of Lynch's work. Okay some people didn't like The Return (and I respectfully disagree) but do we need to be so aggressive about it?

And to say what Laura whispered to Cooper isn't a clue based on the fact that we will never know what she says is something I disagree with. It can be both.

It's a subject for debate and just because we don't hear what she said doesn't mean what she said was meaningless or not important. Maybe it was the most important piece of dialogue in the whole show - but we didn't hear it? Maybe she said "Anyway Kyle, David asked me to whisper in your ear - look surprised!"

It's a mystery. It's a clue. It can be both. Cooper reacted to it. To me, that's important. But to other people it might not be.

We all take different things out of this show.

Calling people out on theories - especially ones they have put a lot of thought and enthusiasm to, is bullying. Plain and simple. And some people seem to get off on it.

And that's a tale older than the Internet.

Maybe we enjoyed the original run of Twin Peaks more because we didn't have as much of a gateway to people shooting down our ideas.

I love most of the theories I've read on here and other places - even if they're not the same as mine - because it's got people thinking. Surely that's a good thing?

Anyway rant over :-)