An apologia for Sarah

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: An apologia for Sarah

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

chromereflectsimage wrote:Just thought I would share this post I came across. What if Sarah/Judy isn't an 'evil' entity, but something more complex?

https://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks/comm ... ould_have/
This is really interesting. I do think L/F — or at least Frost — were getting at something more complex than “ancient evil” with Judy. I speculated a few months ago that she is tied to the Earth-mother deity worshiped by indigenous cultures. Just as TP began with the rape and murder of a girl by her father — the ultimate betrayal of a woman by a man — Frost seems incredibly interested in exploring not only literal violence against women but also the metaphorical rape of planet Earth and the native cultures that value it by white men of power, overtly in TSHoTP and more subliminally in TP:TR. And he makes a point of saying that the morality and interests of the otherwordly entities — be they White Lodge/Black Lodge, Nordics/Greys, or what have you — may be so far removed from our own human concerns that we couldn’t possibly comprehend them. Notably, Sarah’s murder of the trucker is a reaction to an act of toxic masculinity. The fact that Judy came through to our world in one of the most destructive moments in the history of mankind could go either way: is she a creature of evil freed into our world by mankind meddling in forces it should have left alone? Or is she crossing over to fight mankind, to protect the planet from our wanton destruction? I wouldn’t be terribly surprised if Lynch and Frost had completely different intentions/opinions on this.

In any event, it’s an interesting question: if Dale theoretically had the ability to go back in time to erase Laura’s pain, to erase any memory of her suffering, does he have the right to do that? On the one hand, it seems like a gift to her. But does any man have the right to unilaterally erase a woman’s past, her identity, to decide on his own that she would be better off without it? Is tearing her out of her afterlife and messing with her memory in some ways even more of a violation than Leland’s crime? Is the fact that she took his hand, presumably without knowing what exactly she was agreeing to, enough to say she gave consent? I don’t doubt that Dale had the best of intentions, but you know what they say about the road to hell.

BTW, it is interesting to note that for whatever reason, Dale does NOT try to “save” Laura from her years of abuse, just from the last moments that led to her murder. The Reddit poster seems to be implying that the important thing Judy seems to be trying to preserve is the awareness of the world at large of Laura’s pain, which of course only came about because of her murder. But why on Earth wouldn’t Cooper ask Jeffries to send him back to 1984 or earlier, to bring a 12-year-old Laura “home” before she ever had to suffer Leland’s abuse at all? Maybe the Fireman could explain some reason why it HAD to be Laura from the night of 2/23/89, but to me, it feels like Dale’s ego being obsessed with the idea of preventing the very crime he was hired to solve — the ultimate act of crimefighting — rather than actually addressing Laura’s suffering. Particularly since her death was presented in FWWM as a freeing experience after years of suffering.
chromereflectsimage
RR Diner Member

Post by chromereflectsimage »

Goddess Kali
http://www.goddess.ws/kali.html

The dissolving ego, the love for her children (Laura), severed heads (which abound in the series), and the reference to "garland" (ie Briggs) --even dismembered arms (Mike, Ike) is noteworthy.

Also Lynch put Kali at the end of his Ronnie Rocket script. She was in the ocean full of gold pebbles (he didn't mention her by name but described her as a blue woman with four arms. Who else could he be talking about?)

The story of how Parvati splits into Kali in order to be able to kill a demon reminds me of Lynch's fascination with fragmented identities.
https://tracymarrs.com/parvati-kali-and-balance/
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
chromereflectsimage wrote:Just thought I would share this post I came across. What if Sarah/Judy isn't an 'evil' entity, but something more complex?

https://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks/comm ... ould_have/
This is really interesting. I do think L/F — or at least Frost — were getting at something more complex than “ancient evil” with Judy. I speculated a few months ago that she is tied to the Earth-mother deity worshiped by indigenous cultures. Just as TP began with the rape and murder of a girl by her father — the ultimate betrayal of a woman by a man — Frost seems incredibly interested in exploring not only literal violence against women but also the metaphorical rape of planet Earth and the native cultures that value it by white men of power, overtly in TSHoTP and more subliminally in TP:TR. And he makes a point of saying that the morality and interests of the otherwordly entities — be they White Lodge/Black Lodge, Nordics/Greys, or what have you — may be so far removed from our own human concerns that we couldn’t possibly comprehend them. Notably, Sarah’s murder of the trucker is a reaction to an act of toxic masculinity. The fact that Judy came through to our world in one of the most destructive moments in the history of mankind could go either way: is she a creature of evil freed into our world by mankind meddling in forces it should have left alone? Or is she crossing over to fight mankind, to protect the planet from our wanton destruction? I wouldn’t be terribly surprised if Lynch and Frost had completely different intentions/opinions on this.

In any event, it’s an interesting question: if Dale theoretically had the ability to go back in time to erase Laura’s pain, to erase any memory of her suffering, does he have the right to do that? On the one hand, it seems like a gift to her. But does any man have the right to unilaterally erase a woman’s past, her identity, to decide on his own that she would be better off without it? Is tearing her out of her afterlife and messing with her memory in some ways even more of a violation than Leland’s crime? Is the fact that she took his hand, presumably without knowing what exactly she was agreeing to, enough to say she gave consent? I don’t doubt that Dale had the best of intentions, but you know what they say about the road to hell.

BTW, it is interesting to note that for whatever reason, Dale does NOT try to “save” Laura from her years of abuse, just from the last moments that led to her murder. The Reddit poster seems to be implying that the important thing Judy seems to be trying to preserve is the awareness of the world at large of Laura’s pain, which of course only came about because of her murder. But why on Earth wouldn’t Cooper ask Jeffries to send him back to 1984 or earlier, to bring a 12-year-old Laura “home” before she ever had to suffer Leland’s abuse at all? Maybe the Fireman could explain some reason why it HAD to be Laura from the night of 2/23/89, but to me, it feels like Dale’s ego being obsessed with the idea of preventing the very crime he was hired to solve — the ultimate act of crimefighting — rather than actually addressing Laura’s suffering. Particularly since her death was presented in FWWM as a freeing experience after years of suffering.
Interesting post, but this raises another question: did Cooper try to trick The Fireman?
This could cause him being stuck in a self-made universe in which neither the Black Lodge or the White Lodge have enough influence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chromereflectsimage
RR Diner Member

Post by chromereflectsimage »

Something else about Judy: Cole describes her as an extreme negative force. What else is an negative force? Electricity. When Hawk is describing his map to Frank, he mentions it being a type of fire like electricity. Frank asks if it's good. Hawk says depends on the intention. I think this is important.

Only when the corn (symbolic for fertility) becomes black (diseased/unnatural/death) does the electricity turn into 'black fire.'

What else is made from corn? Ethanol. Electricty (spark plug) + Corn gives scorched engine oil.