Poll: Do You Understand Now Why S.F. was pissed about her role in The Return?

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Do you understand why Sherilyn Fenn was unhappy once she read the lines she was supposed to deliver?

Yes, I understand completely
49%
No, I do not understand. She had a great role in The Return.
51%

Total votes: 98
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Poll: Do You Understand Now Why S.F. was pissed about her role in The Return?

Post by mtwentz »

This poll is based on the rumor (reinforced by tweets) that Sherilyn Fenn was initially unhappy with her role in The Return. Now that the series is over, do you understand why she may have been miffed about her role (including both the substance of the role and the amount of screen time).
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Cipher
RR Diner Member

Re: Poll: Do You Understand Now Why S.F. was pissed about her role in The Return?

Post by Cipher »

This is impossible to answer because I feel the version of the role we wound up with was likely partially a result of her late signing-on.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Re: Poll: Do You Understand Now Why S.F. was pissed about her role in The Return?

Post by mtwentz »

Cipher wrote:This is impossible to answer because I feel the version of the role we wound up with was likely partially a result of her late signing-on.
That could be true. If so, darn it, we wuz robbed by both Lynch/Frost and Fenn!
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

Cipher wrote:This is impossible to answer because I feel the version of the role we wound up with was likely partially a result of her late signing-on.
Same.

It's quite a complex differential equation. The thing she's reacting to is partially a function of her own actions.
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
trismegistus
Roadhouse Member

Post by trismegistus »

Or perhaps, Fenn assumed that the show coming back would mean that the formula and format of the original run would remain intact and would guarantee her a large role, but like most of the returning cast members her's and their roles were more peripheral this go around(albeit thematically significant). So my assumption is that she was banking on a career reinvigoration and because she was kept in the dark due to the secrecy around The Return jumped to the conclusion that the younger actors would take the forefront (Amanda Seyfried being unofficially announced just before production) because in Hollywood there is a very real bias against older actresses and she's probably been told that bluntly on other productions. But I'm assuming that David probably cleared it up later and once it was explained Fenn was happy with what she was given. It's possible that her scenes were rewritten afterwards (probably due to production scheduling and resources) but at the end of the day the entire thing amounted to a big misunderstanding that was resolved and everyone walked away perfectly content with the final result. I don't see any reason to make a fuss about it all this time afterwards. This is no MJA incident. And even that one is just the result of someone's mental health being compromised and despite what was said and done we should really just hope that he gets the help he needs.

Sorry, just covering all bases for where I know this thread could drift into bad territory.
Cipher
RR Diner Member

Post by Cipher »

To also help steer clear of potentially unproductive territory, I'm not dissatisfied with the version we got (I'm not sure I love it as an ending for that character, but it's certainly not a bone I have to pick with the season), nor mad at Fenn.

Disputes and creative changes happen all the time during production. It's just the nature of creative work on this scale. The issues referenced above about dovetailing ageism and sexism in the film industry are also quite real, so of all the disputes to lose shooting time over, that's a pretty reasonable one.

And that's all assuming the theory I posted above is correct, which we don't know.
asmahan
RR Diner Member

Post by asmahan »

I don't think Fenn is REALLY mad about her role, she was notably pissed about being excluded from publicity/marketing events, even though she made peace with it. This is an understandable gripe, if kind of petty. There were rumors floating around that she was going to have only one scene or that she was only on set for an hour, which turned out to be totally unfounded.

If she is indeed mad about her role on the show, I'd say it was because she didn't get to have any scenes with her original castmates, which I guess I can see why she was disappointed. Her arc itself was quite interesting and she had a relatively good deal of screen time.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Wasn't she also unhappy because ''it's only all about Kyle!''?

Of course I can understand how one's way of thinking could cause one to act in such a manner. That does not at all mean I approve of such behavior. The notion that she's owed what she initially imagined for her role just because she had such a prominent one in the originals, I deem a little selfish. She really acted as if some major scandal happened (''Oh, If only you knew'')

FWIW, the Audrey arc was really cool and Fenn did a great job.
Last edited by Soolsma on Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Skip Bittman
Roadhouse Member

Post by Skip Bittman »

Going by her social media feeds, I don't think I'll ever understand her. That's fine!
richsmith
Roadhouse Member

Post by richsmith »

The problem with many of the actors, writers, musicians etc associated with Twin Peaks is that it remains both the biggest, if not only, thing they're known for, and also an albatross around their necks as they've never subsequently matched its success. I'm sure Fenn, Julee Cruise, etc, expected to be given far more significant parts to play in this series, and likely thought it would help bring them back into the spotlight, so their disappointment there is understandable. However, they're not owed anything by Lynch, Frost, or anyone else. The Return very clearly was intended to evolve into something very different from the original series, and as both Fenn and Cruise were so iconic in the original, it's not a surprise that they fell "victim" to this brutal severance from nostalgia. As hired guns in the service of a filmmaker's vision, they have really no cause to complain: As Lynch giveth, Lynch taketh away.

Additionally, from past interviews and behaviour, you can also see that quite a number of Peaks alumni have often shown erratic behaviour, so it's no surprise to see this continue now.
Mr. Strawberry
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Strawberry »

I both understand her disappointment and feel that she had a great role in The Return. She most likely imagined something very different for Audrey, and was shocked by the direction her character went in.

It's not unlike my feelings for the fans that have been let down by this new addition to Twin Peaks. I can completely understand why they are disappointed, and at the same time, I am yrev happy with the series and greatly appreciate that it was made.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

^ same

here are a couple of retweets by Fenn during the last few days:

"She did that whole campaign to get Lynch back on the show bc she respected his artistic vision & she wasn't shown the same respect in return"

"In hindsight my only huge objection to #TwinPeaks2017 is its treatment of @sherilynfenn1"
(which ^ Fenn retweeted with an AMEN added)
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

YAAAAWN.... Fenn and her groupies. Here we go again.
Sey

Post by Sey »

claaa7 wrote:^ same

here are a couple of retweets by Fenn during the last few days:

"She did that whole campaign to get Lynch back on the show bc she respected his artistic vision & she wasn't shown the same respect in return"

"In hindsight my only huge objection to #TwinPeaks2017 is its treatment of @sherilynfenn1"
(which ^ Fenn retweeted with an AMEN added)
Abhorrent behavior. Has she no dignity and self-respect?
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

I understand, but she has much to be proud of. Audrey's arc this season was one of the most talked about and based on the finale, I'd argue one of the most significant. I personally thought it was pretty enthralling and I thought she did a great job.