Watching 17 and 18 in sync

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Re: Watching 17 and 18 in sync

Post by Soolsma »

:lol:
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Deep Thought
RR Diner Member

Post by Deep Thought »

Soolsma wrote:

:lol:
Watch this from 26:15 - 27:50. This is some of the most powerful television I have ever seen. It makes it clear that Cooper is the dreamer. :idea:
Last edited by Deep Thought on Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
There's your roast beef and cheese.
Deep Thought
RR Diner Member

Post by Deep Thought »

Firewalkwithme91 wrote:Well, to me the author is dead and so his opinion of his own work could be interesting but shouldn´t limit my own experience with a piece of art. And Sabrina Sutherland isn´t even the author, so it doesn´t really matter to me.
Is she involved in post production at all?
There's your roast beef and cheese.
mine
Roadhouse Member

Post by mine »

Firewalkwithme91 wrote:Well, to me the author is dead and so his opinion of his own work could be interesting but shouldn´t limit my own experience with a piece of art. And Sabrina Sutherland isn´t even the author, so it doesn´t really matter to me.
I absolutely agree. The work should speak for itself. Having said that pick a random bunch of reviews of The Return and you'll notice they spend more time talking about Lynch than the actual show and when they analyze the show is almost exclusively relative to Lynch and his opus.
p-air
Roadhouse Member

Post by p-air »

I’m surprised people thought to sync the start of Part 17 with the start of Part 18. If anything I’d have thought to sync around the duplicated scene where Laura disappears from Cooper in the woods. (As in, have that clip overlap with itself.) Anyone tried that? I’ve not, can’t really picture how it would go down - it would certainly move 18’s scene where Mr C burns up in the red room closer to the part where he’s “defeated” in 17?
AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Post by AgentEcho »

I totally agree with this. But with regards to the "sync" theory, the blog that originated it claimed they were "meant" to be viewed together, which was an an attempt to speak for the author's intentions. Many supporters of the sync theory are really invested in the idea that this was intentional. If people are just saying "hey I tried this and this is what my experience is", there's nothing that needs to be corrected. The notion that the episodes were intended to be viewed that way probably should and I think Sutherland was in a position to make that correction.
Rik Renault
Roadhouse Member

Post by Rik Renault »

When I saw the Sabrina Sutherland AMA, I thought her response was unusually direct, but the poster asked specifically if the two episodes were meant to be watched overlaid, rather than concurrently/side-by-side, etc.

I'm of the belief that any meaning we infer from the two episodes being played simultaneously is purely incidental, but this seems like an important caveat to me.