Sarah Palmer

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Re: Sarah Palmer

Post by eyeboogers »

Cappy wrote:One odd thing I noticed, or think I noticed, was during ep. 3 when Cooper slowly approached the big electrical outlet in the Purple Room. There was this ominous, slow pulsating noise, and it sounded kind of like a distorted version of Sarah calling "Laura, Laura..." from ep. 2 of the original series. It was during Cooper's original dream, and it used a slowed down version of Sarah calling for Laura from the pilot.

I'm not sure what the implications of this would be, but did anyone else notice this?
Without having read your post first, I rewatched episode 3 today. There isn't the slowed down "Laura..." but there is the pulsating "I am the arm and I sound like this..." sound we also hear at the electricity pole.
Saturn's child
RR Diner Member

Re: Sarah Palmer

Post by Saturn's child »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Cappy wrote:One odd thing I noticed, or think I noticed, was during ep. 3 when Cooper slowly approached the big electrical outlet in the Purple Room. There was this ominous, slow pulsating noise, and it sounded kind of like a distorted version of Sarah calling "Laura, Laura..." from ep. 2 of the original series. It was during Cooper's original dream, and it used a slowed down version of Sarah calling for Laura from the pilot.

I'm not sure what the implications of this would be, but did anyone else notice this?
No, but will check during rewatch. Very interesting if true...that audio also figures into the closing seconds of Part 18.
I've mentioned this in another thread, but the cadence of the "Laura..." audio clip reminds me of the sound we hear when we see Laura's face in the opening credits (albeit manipulated to the extreme); does anybody else hear this?

(awesome thread, Mr. Reindeer! FWIW, I'm of the opinion that Sarah's current state is informed by her grief, & that the frog-mo(u)th girl is not Sarah [although I like entertaining the idea that it is])
LL-FF-SS wrote:Understanding The Jumping Man is the key to figuring out what the deal with Sarah is.

There was never any question as to what BOB represented in the original series because the answer was explicitly or at least heavily suggested to the audience. He became "The evil that men do" that's one reading on it anyways. If Bob represents evil, then The Jumping Man represents grief/trauma. Every scene we've seen him in he's in constant turmoil, as if he's stuck in the state of the agony their stolen "garmonbozia" has left behind.

I believe the room above the convenience store is the Palmer house, a twisted version of it. It is the very same one that Laura stepped into in her dream. We see The Jumping Man running down a staircase in Part 17, this immediately recalled the shot of Sarah running down the stairs in the pilot, except the intensity of it has been heightened to such an extreme, as if the memory of it has only made it more dreadful and overtly horror-esque with time. This is where The Jumping Man lives, in an echo of Sarah's misery.

Clearly something has gone terribly wrong with her, she isn't "Good", but I don't believe she is the vessel to the ultimate evil of Twin Peaks. I can't figure out what other role The Jumping Man would play, why her face would be superimposed on him. We already know that Bob isn't just Bob when he attaches himself to somebody, they coalesce into one, I don't see why it would be different here.
Great post!