Creepiest/scariest scene(s) [Spoilers]

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

claaa7
Great Northern Member

Creepiest/scariest scene(s) [Spoilers]

Post by claaa7 »

so what scenes in The Return gave you the creeps?

for me it's pretty much everything with Sarah Palmer and The Jumping Man.. the long scene with Sarah smashing the picture with a glass bottle was hands down the creepiest moment of TR for me. those otherwordly guttural crying/screaming sounds while we watch the empty Palmer living room (take note of it not being a static shot but using much small camera movement to create the sense of something being wrong) gave me the creeps big time.

likewise the scene rising up the stairs with all the crackling static cut to the Jumping Man quickly coming towards us as he descends the same staircase (17)

of course almost all of ep. 8

the very last scene!!! just seeing pictures of it gives me goosebumps
Harry Yallrite
Roadhouse Member

Re: Creepiest/scariest scene(s) [Spoilers]

Post by Harry Yallrite »

For me it has to be the frog-moth crawling into the girl while "My Prayer" was on the radio.
"...I'm not above feeling a little sympathy for the stalwart and the dull. ."
OrsonWelles
Roadhouse Member

Post by OrsonWelles »

Harry Yallrite wrote:For me it has to be the frog-moth crawling into the girl while "My Prayer" was on the radio.
Same, probably. I was getting serious Un Chien Andalou vibes with that scène
krzhuva

Post by krzhuva »

Intercourse between Richard-Coop and Linda-Diane. And the rest of the Odessa universe.
Cipher
RR Diner Member

Post by Cipher »

-Moving toward the atomic explosion

-Cole's doorway vision of Laura

-Cooper's face superimposed over his explanations at the sheriff's station

-The most uncomfortable sex scene I've ever experienced in fiction

-"What year is it?" and ending shots
floyd2024

Post by floyd2024 »

Of course the Woodsman's "Gotta Light?" scenes in episode 8 were freaky but the scene that creeped me out the most was in episode 17 when Cooper is saying goodbye to everyone while his face is superimposed in the background. There was something so artificial and dark about it, it reminded me of the old couple from Mulholland Drive.
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

- The shot of the fat Woodsman creeping up to the car to kill Hastings

- The jail Woodsman vanishing and his face floating away

- Slow-mo screencaps of Jumping Man morphing to Sarah morphing to the Experiment

- Evil Coop/Diane interview

- Frogbug snack

- Got a light?

- General existential angst of the finale (ha)
ikerno

Post by ikerno »

laura.jpg
laura.jpg (42.51 KiB) Viewed 12324 times
It Is Happening Again.
Saturn's child
RR Diner Member

Post by Saturn's child »

* Sarah ( : - ) ALL )

* The first woodsmen resurrect Mr C scene (part 8 )

* Part 18
DamnFineCreamedCorn
Roadhouse Member

Post by DamnFineCreamedCorn »

claaa7 wrote: the long scene with Sarah smashing the picture with a glass bottle was hands down the creepiest moment of TR for me. those otherwordly guttural crying/screaming sounds while we watch the empty Palmer living room (take note of it not being a static shot but using much small camera movement to create the sense of something being wrong) gave me the creeps big time.
For me as well. It shows so little and suggests so much. It's extremely unsettling.
I've already gone places. I just want to stay where I am.
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

There's different kinds of creepy.

In terms of growing unease, the conversation between Cooper and Mrs. Tremond on the doorstep of the house really had me biting my lip. Nothing particularly weird or strange in the dialogue or its delivery. Just the syrupy, stuck-in-the-throat feeling that accompanies that scene really affected me deeply. The way Cooper starts reaching, and is met with blanks, albeit names we recall from FWWM, is disturbing and frustrating together in a way I didn't even know existed before I watched the finale.

In terms of shock-creepy, Sarah's voice calling, Laura's final scream, and the lights blowing made me jump a mile.

For just flat-out scariness though, Sarah's wailing and gnashing noises offscreen in the Palmer house just totally ripped my nerves to ribbons. Wow, was that powerful. I don't know how much was performance and how much effects, and I don't care to find out.
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
Pinky
RR Diner Member

Post by Pinky »

a few of them, in no particular order:

Sarah's possessed moaning in the kitchen, offscreen. She sounds like Lambert in Alien when she's being killed. The things that house must have seen since 1989..

DoppelCoop's prison interview with Cole (at least the first one, before it became apparent that the voice is either a doppelganger quirk with electricity or he's just putting it on for a laugh whenever he meets old colleagues. Considering it was probably my favourite part of S3, it doesn't make much sense. He's relatively normal around everyone else but when it comes to someone he actually knows (and has a vested interest in convincing him that he's in fact the real Coop) he decides to put on a basso profundo take on James Mason and be as evil as he can be. Still my favourite scene, though.

Woodsman's entrance and exit.

Coop realizing the depth of the trouble they're in in the S3 finale ending. It feels like Bob Peck in Jurassic Park when he realizes the velociraptors have played him.

Honourable mention for the very eerily shaped car lights following our heroes on the journey back to TP.
tresojos
Roadhouse Member

Post by tresojos »

the first woodnman we saw in jail was the creepiest scene for me
donna madonna mañana fofana osama bin laden hayward
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Cipher wrote: -Cooper's face superimposed over his explanations at the sheriff's station
This.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
asmahan
RR Diner Member

Post by asmahan »

-the tension and shock during the glass box scene

-Diane seeing her double in the parking lot

-the turkey jerky scene

-anything with the Jumping Man

-"What year is it?"