You have been Lynched (Spoilers)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Low Entropy
Roadhouse Member

You have been Lynched (Spoilers)

Post by Low Entropy »

You have been Lynched. Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive and Inland Empire took years to decipher, and at least to me the theories are quite satisfying and conclusive. I don't think Twin Peaks Season 3 let a lot of questions open; it is conclusive and gives a final answer to most of them. We just haven't figured it out yet. Don't fall for the "Lynch leaves everything open to interpretation" trap. Lynch approves if people have their own, unique interpretation, because individualism in thinking is sweet; but that doesn't mean there would be no core answers in his works (like the core theories about Mulholland Drive and Lost Highway).
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: You have been Lynched (Spoilers)

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I think LH and particularly MD were "deciphered" (insofar as that's possible) pretty quickly; it didn't take years. OTOH, I don't believe there is a common consensus on IE to this day, although I have my interpretation.
Spacevessel

Post by Spacevessel »

When you watch a David Lynch movie, you get Lynched. This new TP season definitely didn't break the rule.
"I should have been a pair of ragged claws, scuttling across the floors of silent seas."
Cipher
RR Diner Member

Post by Cipher »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:I think LH and particularly MD were "deciphered" (insofar as that's possible) pretty quickly; it didn't take years. OTOH, I don't believe there is a common consensus on IE to this day, although I have my interpretation.
This is why LH and MD are on the lower end of Lynch's output for me, actually, whereas IE is tied for highest. The former two yield up a reading just a little too easily, I think, and the way their mysteries lock into place to a reasonable extent distracts from the raw emotional elements.

On the other hand, The Return is structured as one of his most genre-adherent mysteries yet, and I think its ending continues to offer all kinds of satisfactory readings that will never quite be married up. And in the moment, my focus was wholly on the feelings. Good stuff.