Poll: Would you like to see a 4th season happen? (SPOILERS PERMITTED)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Would you like to see a 4th season happen?

Yes
65%
No
17%
Unsure
18%

Total votes: 264
Troubbble
RR Diner Member

Re: Poll: Would you like to see a 4th season happen? (SPOILERS PERMITTED)

Post by Troubbble »

Pinky wrote:
IcedOver wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:Would have probably leaned toward "no" before Sunday night -- I thought it was extremely unlikely that L/F would have the energy/inclination to do this again and was hoping for a closed ending.

After having seen Part 18, my answer is a resounding "yes." I'm happy with what we got as an ending if that's what L/F want. But if they have more to say, I want to hear it.
That's why I'm finding it hard in evaluating what we got -- we don't know what they want to do, if they have any concrete inclination to do more and left all this open for that, or if it was intentionally left so totally obscure to prove an absurd point.
My thoughts exactly. Although it works as a bleak ending, and it's pretty powerful, I think there's more they could and would have done with it if they were not returning. Way too much dramatic meat left on the bone, plenty of people who'd be dead or in any number of really crazy situations. I think it's really hard to imagine them not grabbing a barnstorming, ambiguous yet emotionally devastating ending unless they had a good reason not to. It feels like a compromise, albeit one that leans heavily towards the show continuing at some point. I mean, all the characters are grouped up and basically ready to go.

Don't want this to sound like wish fulfilment. I was fine with it being done, and if i'm shocked by the finale, it's because I was very certain they were done.
Yes. It's not that I couldn't deal with this being the end... They just clearly left so much open to potentially revisit later.

David also crucially indicated his interest in meeting with Nevins after the airing of the finale. If he intended that there could be no more Twin Peaks after The Return, he would never have said that.

Finally, and maybe most importantly: I don't think Showtime needs to be on board for this to happen. If David wants to do it, it doesn't matter if they want to participate or not -- someone else will step in to help make it happen, if they won't.

Hulu, Amazon, Netflix... There is a war going on for our attention right now, and a property like Twin Peaks has incredible value beyond what live tune-in numbers may suggest.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

powerleftist wrote:
whoisalhedges wrote:Coop never knew Laura, she's just an image to him.
Ha, I was thinking about Preminger's movie after Part 18 aired! The reference ended up being a little more on the nose this time.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

One way I look at The Return is that it could be the Twin Peaks equivalent of Star Trek: the Motion Picture. After TMP, the Star Trek creator was politely bumped out of the way and new people took over. So one wonders.... are we in line for the Twin Peaks equivalent of the Wrath of Khan next time, made by a new team who get the original better than the show's creator? ;)
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Didn't they start writing TPTR in ~2012? I suspect they might have some rough outlines of what's to come, combine that with some scraps left from S3 and the process could be on it's way.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Pinky
RR Diner Member

Post by Pinky »

Imagine what a S4 could do with an Invasion of the Body Snatchers vibe, hunted from the start to the end. It opens with something charging out of that house..
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Gabriel wrote:One way I look at The Return is that it could be the Twin Peaks equivalent of Star Trek: the Motion Picture. After TMP, the Star Trek creator was politely bumped out of the way and new people took over. So one wonders.... are we in line for the Twin Peaks equivalent of the Wrath of Khan next time, made by a new team who get the original better than the show's creator? ;)
Oh, Gabriel.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

Richard is V'ger and that's the end of it.

:lol:
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
referendum
RR Diner Member

Post by referendum »

David also crucially indicated his interest in meeting with Nevins after the airing of the finale. If he intended that there could be no more Twin Peaks after The Return, he would never have said that.
pardon me, but this has no connection to a season 4. If someone hands you xxx million dollars to do what you want, you are gonna meet up with them after you have done it, if only to say thanks.

what was the budget by the way?
''let's not overthink this opportunity''
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

referendum wrote: what was the budget by the way?
Good question for the Sabrina Sutherland AMA?
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

referendum wrote:
pardon me, but this has no connection to a season 4. If someone hands you xxx million dollars to do what you want, you are gonna meet up with them after you have done it, if only to say thanks.
I think Nevins has made it fairly clear that their meeting again would include at least some sort of discussion about whether or not Lynch/Frost and Showtime would be interested in another installment of Twin Peaks.

David Nevins on August 8, when asked about a continuation:
“[Lynch and I are] both avoiding the conversation for a while; we want to let the story coalesce and see how people feel at the end.”

Nevins promised that he and Lynch won’t discuss the future of Twin Peaks until the show’s finale, scheduled for Labor Day weekend. He also noted that “Lynch has been in France pretty much since the premiere event we had,” so he hasn’t been available for discussion

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/20 ... ext-season
referendum
RR Diner Member

Post by referendum »

Jasper wrote:
referendum wrote:
I think Nevins has made it fairly clear that their meeting again would include at least some sort of discussion about whether or not Lynch/Frost and Showtime would be interested in another installment of Twin Peaks.

David Nevins on August 8, when asked about a continuation:
“[Lynch and I are] both avoiding the conversation for a while; we want to let the story coalesce and see how people feel at the end.”

Nevins promised that he and Lynch won’t discuss the future of Twin Peaks until the show’s finale, scheduled for Labor Day weekend. He also noted that “Lynch has been in France pretty much since the premiere event we had,” so he hasn’t been available for discussion

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/20 ... ext-season
we will see :D
''let's not overthink this opportunity''
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

I must admit that I'm quietly hopeful. In any case, we are unlikely to ever get a definitive "no", so we can keep on hoping until it really becomes impossible.
Mb3
RR Diner Member

Post by Mb3 »

I don't need it but I want it.
rugerblackhawk357
Roadhouse Member

Post by rugerblackhawk357 »

lynch never wrote season 3 (9 episodes) with a 4th season in mind.that's how much the finale sucked.
Sometimes i wish i was better off dead. No wait. Not me. You.
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

At this moment, I'm wondering what the point would be. This was supposed to be it -- 18 hours expanded from 9 that would be a complete and satisfying way to close out this show. If they decided to leave it open while hoping for more, that was folly because they had to know the likelihood wouldn't be great. It was hard enough getting this season negotiated.

I'm just not finding an overwhelming need for this world to be revisited again. If Lynch just wants to play, perhaps he can ask for money from Showtime for his own variety and sketch show, which "Return" pretty much was anyway. Returning to this world would mean a continuation of the storylines set forth (assuming the show hasn't been actually negated by an extremely lazy plot point). However, Lynch proved with this season he had no interest in following up on anything or creating fleshed out characters. The same problems would be present.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!