Food in Season 3, and the Last Supper

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Deep Thought
RR Diner Member

Food in Season 3, and the Last Supper

Post by Deep Thought »

I'm having a hard time coming up with the meal for next Sunday, finale day. Food has never been too prominent in the show, other than the obvious coffee, cherry pie and donuts, but I managed a good meal for the premier of season 3 with takes on coffee donuts, baguettes and brie, creamed corn, asparagus, cherry sauce and salmon (NW reference). I cook an awful lot and that meal turned out as one of the best I ever enjoyed, due entirely to the love that inspired it.

Season 3 is trickier, Cherries still, yes, and donuts. . . perhaps. What else? Chocolate cake, for sure. Coffee for sure. Finger sandwiches? "Just cheese" sandwiches? Hmmm. Bomb shelter rations? SPAM? Ugh, I hope not, but that would be a challenge!

What am I missing? Help, I don't want to eat SPAM!

Maybe I will go full New Mexico, with lamb (Richard) and black bean tamales (if I can't get black corn by Sunday, that would be awesome); rabbit (yes!) in a maybe a cherry sauce to make it pink, of course; Hatch Chile, coffee & chocolate cake. I knew Dugpa could help me work this out! Any veggie recommendations? I can't think of any . . .

Am I the only one in the nuthouse, or does anyone else want to mark this bittersweet Sunday with a "thank you" dinner?

Also, I just picked up some seasonal Ommegang Rosetta Cherry Ale at Total Wine, so that's all set.
There's your roast beef and cheese.
alreadygoneplaces
RR Diner Member

Re: Food in Season 3, and the Last Supper

Post by alreadygoneplaces »

Give me a donut.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Unidentified chunk of meat from Hastings's car,

Cheetos.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

Wendy's :D
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

Bordeaux. Green tea latté. Breakfast cereal.
asmahan
RR Diner Member

Post by asmahan »

(Mr.) Strawberry, huckleberry extract, frog-bug...?
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

Bobby's 'usual' the Double R diner - which appeared to be a big plate of plain spagetti and tomato sauce.
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

Shitloads of italian cappucino and a few large-ish donuts will do. SUGAR RUSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <3
whoisalhedges
RR Diner Member

Post by whoisalhedges »

As long as you don't grill any dog legs, I hope to hear all about it!
whoisalhedges
RR Diner Member

Post by whoisalhedges »

Re: black corn - are you referring to regular corn, just with black-colored kernels; or the Mexican delicacy huitlacoche, poetically referred to by Anglo farmers as "corn smut?"

Huitlacoche is a fungus that is considered "Mexican truffles" by some, and "goddammit my entire crop was ruined" by others. And it's available canned! :lol:

Just in keeping with Hawk referring to black corn as "tainted" - seems appropriate.
Elric99
Roadhouse Member

Post by Elric99 »

Quinoa with some broccoli. And frog moths for extra flavor.

referendum
RR Diner Member

Post by referendum »

Monica Bellucci likes spaghetti Schillaci apparently. Spaghetti with spicy diced tomatoes , fresh basil and chillies.
deceptively simple, it says here.
Just sayin'.
And a decent bottle of Bordeaux never hurt anyone.
Fronsac or Pomerol a much better deal than Medoc or St Julien/ Estephe usually.

enjoy
''let's not overthink this opportunity''
Deep Thought
RR Diner Member

Post by Deep Thought »

Great ideas! I’ve been thinking about ways to use Cheetos (maybe some caramel Cheetos would go well while watching the show, but we’ll be stuffed by then), but not the dog leg. . . ewe. This won’t be as ambitious as 18 episodes, but for a family Sunday dinner for just the four of us, it compares in scope. :D Now, I may improvise a little, but I’ve laid out the framework.

Two Ducks on a Lake – Duck Pâte and Duck Rillettes with toast points. "You pick them up with your fingers, very good."

Goodbye My Son - Seared Rare (cremated?) Corn-Crusted Petite Lamb Tenderloin on a Roasted Potato Rock with Jumping Man Carrots in a Cherry Reduction.

About the Bunnies – Rabbit Roulettes in a Chocolate Burgundy Sauce, with Olive Dirt, Giant Asparagus, and Wild Greens

Mr. Strawberry Tiramisu

I am a giant nerd, I know.
There's your roast beef and cheese.
DoppelBocker
Roadhouse Member

Post by DoppelBocker »

Interesting ideas...

I get a bit too distracted if I have too much. I already stream so I can replay parts at leisure, pause, and so forth to fully enjoy the episode at my own leisure. Thing I got a kick out of on the Lynch video is he makes a point of saying on the video to wash the cookware before settles down to plate of freshly made quinoa in that Inland Empire dvd extra. I happen to have some quinoa, bragg's amino acid, and broccoli so perhaps I'll make that with glass of Pinot Noir wine from OREGON! as Gordon Cole would say. "Planet Oregon" pretty good tasting Pinot at Hyvee.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

as I am watching the series first thing in the morning before work (luckily i can be at work as last as 10 on Mondays - and try to get up at around 5 for my Twin Peaks experience) i won't be eating anything fancy, but as with the four hour season premiere (one of the best days of the year for sure) i will load up on a lot of coffee and some donuts for the ocassion