No votes
Other
28%

Total votes: 103
asmahan
RR Diner Member

Who is Judy? (Spoilers)

Post by asmahan »

In part 15, Jeffries tells Mr. C Judy is someone he has met, but who? Who is your guess for who Judy is? If it's ever revealed, that is.
Deep Thought
RR Diner Member

Re: Who is Judy? (Spoilers)

Post by Deep Thought »

Voltaire came up with Briggs, and I'm buyin' it!
There's your roast beef and cheese.
David Locke
RR Diner Member

Post by David Locke »

I have no idea and expect to be wrong but for now I'm going with Naido, in large part because of the monkey-like sounds she's been making in the jail cell. (Plus there's the Judy/Josie connection and Naido seems to be of Asian descent?)
Mallard
RR Diner Member

Post by Mallard »

"Author of Superfudge" wasn't listed as an option, so I chose Garland Briggs.
Welcome...to the third...place.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I vote Naido.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Elric99
Roadhouse Member

Post by Elric99 »

Did Jeffries only give Mr. C a 5 digit number to contact Judy with? What's up with that?
alreadygoneplaces
RR Diner Member

Post by alreadygoneplaces »

Elric99 wrote:Did Jeffries only give Mr. C a 5 digit number to contact Judy with? What's up with that?
We weren't shown them in full, but they co-ordinates from Ruth Davenport's arm. 48° 55' 14...
DoppelBocker
Roadhouse Member

Post by DoppelBocker »

David Locke wrote:
I have no idea and expect to be wrong but for now I'm going with Naido, in large part because of the monkey-like sounds she's been making in the jail cell. (Plus there's the Judy/Josie connection and Naido seems to be of Asian descent?)
Yeah, it's gotta be Naido. Whether she's still Josie's sister (in creative gestation Robert Englund confirmed in past although nothing done with it) we'll see I suppose. Don't know how Josie could ever have a sister in Seattle as narrative revolving around her in "Secret History of Twin Peaks" seems leave little room for this.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Robert Engels. This is Robert Englund:

AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

DoppelBocker wrote:
David Locke wrote:
Yeah, it's gotta be Naido. Whether she's still Josie's sister (in creative gestation Robert Englund confirmed in past although nothing done with it) we'll see I suppose. Don't know how Josie could ever have a sister in Seattle as narrative revolving around her in "Secret History of Twin Peaks" seems leave little room for this.
i wouldn't count ideas that were thrown around in the idea stage to be canon or have any bearing on the plot..

it could be Naido but i don't think so because i Believe Naido is Laura and Laura is Naido. i like the Major Briggs idea quite a bit so i'm going with that... for now.
Cipher
RR Diner Member

Post by Cipher »

Briggs being "Judy" seems a little underwhelming to me, as Briggs has already been a major part of the background of this season under his own name.

It could be Naido, who's apparently hugely important to the plot, but I'd also kind of just like her to ... be Naido, you know?

Who else has Cooper met? It could be either the original or the doppelganger, as Jeffries seems to conflate them both this episode.

"American Girl" from episode 3? Ronnette's doppelganger? Diane? Janey-E? Tammy? The "I'll unlock the door for you" spirit? Shelley? Constance???

It's Constance.
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

Judy Garland Briggs?! Wow, so simple I never even thought of that. Definitely for this option!
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
MoondogJR
RR Diner Member

Post by MoondogJR »

+1 for Naido.
"Your log and I are on the same page."
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

OK, but if this is Naido, I have two questions:

1) when did she and Mr C meet?

2) did Lynch & co. already have a Naido in mind in 1992? The mention about Judy is totally cryptic but if they had anything in particular in mind, it could have been GARLAND Briggs but rather not a Japanese eyeless woman, right?
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

The Garland theory is an old one (I can't believe some have never encountered it before) and is superficially pleasing given what we know of Lynch's Ozmania, but has drawbacks: in FWWM Jeffries says 'well now, we're not going to talk about Judy -- we're not going to talk about Judy at all, we're going to keep her out of this'; as noted also the Buenos Aires hotel concierge's conversation with Jeffries in TMP concerned a girl. Frankly I'd be disappointed if Judy turned out to be Major Briggs.

I've gone for other: Judy is Judy.

Not so much because I feel the answer will not turn out to be a disappointment on the order of Judy=Briggs or Judy=Laura, but because I desperately want to preserve the Judy mythos I have in my own mind: she's a Blue Rose; she's the Teresa Banks of Teresa Banks, in the way that Teresa Banks functioned for Laura Palmer. Just like the Clone Wars was a mysterious reference in the original Star Wars films that the later prequels exhausted of mystery, I really don't like the idea that you can tell it all. Judy is Judy. Anything else will make my heart sink.

Edit: I realise of course we have an all new Judy figure, with the potentially even earlier case of Lois Duffy (assuming Judy was a case Jeffries was assigned to). All the same I don't think we should be too eager to demystify Judy. Just because.
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?