Anyone wanna discuss the NY City Box Experiment? (SPOILERS)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Jackpots
RR Diner Member

Anyone wanna discuss the NY City Box Experiment? (SPOILERS)

Post by Mr. Jackpots »

This started in the episode 13 thread but thought a tangent about the box may deserve it's own topic. The episode specific threads I find get off-topic . So who want to share their current thoughts and feelings on the NY City box Experiment?

Manwith wrote:
28renton wrote:One thing that I doubt will ever get mentioned again in the show, but that I would love to know, is why the security guard wasn't at his post in the box room in NY (unless I totally missed it), thereby allowing the two young'uns to break the rules.
I suspect the Billionaire wanted the kids to die so sent the guard away. (The experiment being whether the creature would come out and eat them.) I have nothing to base that on, though!
I really hope they revisit the box in NY city. My suspicion is Mr.C set up the box experiment. Is there anything that happened that confirms this? I'm not sure. Obviously somebody with inside knowledge of Lodge physics set it up. So it could also be Jefferies apparatus.

Did Duncan Todd setup the break in with the Girl? Was he doing this on Mr.Cs behalf?, or trying to sabotage or get intelligence on the Operation?

I'm of the opinion that the box was a trap designed to catch good Cooper before he could return to Earth. And possibly to feed or sacrifice him to the Mother/Experiment. And it didn't go exactly as planned. Does this make sense to anybody? It's an evolving theory.
Framed_Angel
RR Diner Member

Re: Anyone wanna discuss the NY City Box Experiment?

Post by Framed_Angel »

I don't have any clear-cut theories; the disappearing security guard had bugged me though. I just have some observations.

Your idea about Duncan possibly hiring Tracey would work for me. "Tell her she's got the job." (even if the scenes weren't chronological in sequence.). There was some talk on the boards whether Candie was possibly "hired' to be a mole among the Mitchum brothers; however, the one brother told the other "She's got nowhere else to go"** whereas Tracey didn't have much background to provide us other than as a barrista who'd built a friendly interaction with Sam as a customer at the coffeeshop, it's understood.

For Tracey to be revealed ultimately as the person Duncan gave "the job" I think would be a nice surprise. It's complicated by the ongoing involvement we've seen with Duncan's role in orchestrating various hits on people, and raises the question why a billionaire who finances the Box experiment would also want to make it secure, with rules Sam had to follow about limited access; then work against that framework for the purpose of sabotaging Sam and the girl who got the job. (Unless the billionaire wasn't aware how deadly the Mother could be upon release, merely trying to coax Her out of the box/ portal).

I mainly noticed Tracey was very engaging and certainly coy in her approach, which Sam by contrast appeared somewhat stiff and preferring to adhere to pre-set rules. His manner and initial demeanor felt dry and delivery of his lines almost robotic ("Thanks, Tracey!" each time he uttered it, felt exactly the same both times). That contrast might've been purposeful to show how effectively he could be persuaded, once the obstacle of the security guard had been removed. The job was tedious and boring and repetitive so Sam might have been prone to being provoked by a diversion, even as he resisted it first.

** Just because Candie was implied by Bradley Mitchum's words to have been taken under their wing doesn't mean she wasn't set up to do so... I think that could also be feasible, if she was hired by Duncan: having a sob story to present potential employers would work to her benefit, and coming across as daffy and a little unpredictable could work to her advantage as a mole with other tasks to carry out as she plans to keep them caught off-guard.
"Fool me once... shame on me!"
JohnPalSki
Roadhouse Member

Re: Anyone wanna discuss the NY City Box Experiment? (SPOILERS)

Post by JohnPalSki »

About the security guard:
I have to wonder if the fact that he disappeared when Tracey showed up the 2nd time was due to some false/intentional distraction....
I really hope they revisit this because I want to know what the Mother was doing in that box, and why she appeared after Cooper...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
John Pal
---------------------
"Don't expect a turkey dog here."
Wally Brando
Roadhouse Member

Post by Wally Brando »

I do suspect Tracey was working for someone (Jefferies maybe) and was using Sam to gain access to the room.

If that's the case I'd also expect that she was responsible for the vanishing security guard (could've killed him and put the ring on him for example, or just paid him off if we're being less fanciful).

What the box was there for, as it's apparently over some sort of exit rather than entrance to any lodge / other world is open to debate. Was it there specifically to trap Cooper or was 'Mother' the target. We'd need to know how long it had been operating probably.

Alternately, if Tracey was an agent for forces working against Mr C, is it possible that 'Mother' recognised this and was the self-defence mechanism sent to stop her, eviscerating poor Sam in the process?
referendum
RR Diner Member

Post by referendum »

'' Duncan possibly hiring Tracey would work for me. "Tell her she's got the job."
i thought the ' she ' to whom Duncan gave the job, was the woman who ultimately got killed with by ike the spike's spike a few episodes later, the job being, killing Coop, and the instructions coming from mr C.
''let's not overthink this opportunity''
Troubbble
RR Diner Member

Post by Troubbble »

referendum wrote:
'' Duncan possibly hiring Tracey would work for me. "Tell her she's got the job."
i thought the ' she ' to whom Duncan gave the job, was the woman who ultimately got killed with by ike the spike's spike a few episodes later, the job being, killing Coop, and the instructions coming from mr C.
That's who it was. (Lorraine.)
referendum
RR Diner Member

Post by referendum »

Lorraine, yes.
Tracey was just after a shag. ( see tagline below)
''let's not overthink this opportunity''
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

delete, please
Last edited by BOB1 on Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

The only thing I have seen, which would arouse any kind of interest from me as for this NYC box, was this synchro:

but I don't really know what sense it makes that things happened simlutaneuosly there. It seems overdone to me and the New York scene was so out of context that I don't know what they'd have to do to give it any sense in my mind.

I'm sorry to say, guys... and I respect your efforts and thoughts but I also have a theory of a different kind... which is that the NYC Box scenes were completely redundant :(
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB