Is anyone else a huge Dougie fan and would be sad to see him gone? (SPOILERS)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Re: Is anyone else a huge Dougie fan and would be sad to see him gone?

Post by yaxomoxay »

BOB1 wrote:I watched this video
where the guy expresses an opinion that Dale Cooper will come back really close to the end and the idea behind it is that this will really be such a WOW effect that everybody is going to want a season 4and it will happen again.

I don't know... it's a good theory in.. theory ;) But that's all nice on condition that theshow generally becomes widely appreciated. Otherwise there can be no talk of a season 4. And I'm not so sure about that. It might after all be too... well, I don't wanna evaluate here so let's just say "too... (many things)" to get a really probable continuation on TV.
CBS said that profits increase is due to Twin Peaks.
Showtime said that they will green light season 4.
Lynch ... well, ball in his court.

I am starting to believe that S3 will end with "To be continued."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Venus
RR Diner Member

Post by Venus »

yaxomoxay wrote:
Venus wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:#savedougie

Where's my steak dinner? :lol: #don'tsavedougie #nadinesandbagdougie
Wait wait, he made a guy confess. He saw right through him! He was awake!!!!

#savedougie
Not sure he saw right through him. Think he just saw dandruff. Who knew dandruff could be a life saver?
When Jupiter and Saturn meet...
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

Venus wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:
Venus wrote: Where's my steak dinner? :lol: #don'tsavedougie #nadinesandbagdougie

#savedougie
Not sure he saw right through him. Think he just saw dandruff. Who knew dandruff could be a life saver?
Anti-dandruff shampoo ads weren't lying. Ever.

Bookworm
Roadhouse Member

Post by Bookworm »

Dreamy Audrey wrote:The Dougie storyline has dragged on long enough. I won't be sad to see him go, I miss Cooper and it's time for him to wake up. The poor guy can't even express himself, go to the toilet without help or buy his own cherry pie, I don't understand why some people see that as some sort of happy ending. Would you really want him to stay trapped in that confused life - which isn't even his own and which he never chose - for ever? And even if it is sad for Janey-E and Sonny Jim if Cooper wakes up and leaves, he was never really "their" Dougie, he can't be expected to stick around just to maintain their happiness, if it's not what he wants.
You summed up exactly what I feel, I couldn't have said it better, thanks. Indeed I can't see the happiness about spending the rest of his life as a mere zombie. Unable to express himself, unable to do the simplest things without help. Yes he enjoy pies and coffee, but does that mean he's happy? Yes he made friends with some gangsters, and he make people around him happy. And don't forget the new found sexual vitality for Janey. Great. But does that mean he's happy himself? Like feeling good about helping those people? I'm convinced he didn't even understand what the old woman told him. Or the Mitchums joy and delight. Or his colleague confession and cry for forgiveness.

He seems to just go with the flow nothing more nothing less. Enjoying little things here and there. But happy? I don't think so. Should he stay in that state (and I have the feeling he will) forever I wouldn't consider that a happy ending. Far from it.

So yes, I may be a tad bitter there. Understand me: First no Harry Truman, my second favorite character from the original run. Then no Cooper too. And no need to argue this is really Cooper because, for me, it's not. I feel cheated. The rest of the show is quite good, and actually I just love and root for Mr.C but still, I feel cheated.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Venus wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:
Venus wrote: Where's my steak dinner? :lol: #don'tsavedougie #nadinesandbagdougie

#savedougie
I thought the dandruff looked similar to the powdery poison Sinclair was putting in Dougie's coffee. I thought it was another intuition thing with Dougie-Coop. My mind instantly went there, like, did this guy get some of this poison on his jacket??? I think somehow it was Dougie connecting some dots that way, possibly without even knowing.
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

LateReg wrote:
Venus wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:

#savedougie
I thought the dandruff looked similar to the powdery poison Sinclair was putting in Dougie's coffee. I thought it was another intuition thing with Dougie-Coop. My mind instantly went there, like, did this guy get some of this poison on his jacket??? I think somehow it was Dougie connecting some dots that way, possibly without even knowing.
This reminded me of the ketchup stain on Piotrek / Smithy's t-shirt at the barbecue / hot dog garden party in Inland Empire. The Lost Girl was visible in the stain for Nikki, but it also recalled a wound in another life.

Powdery dandruff-like stuff around Anthony's collar, looking very much like the poison he poured in the coffee maybe recalled something for DougieCoop (someone clever mentioned the star-field which DougieCoop had to traverse on his incoming voyage back into the world), as well as foreshadowing what would have happened had he not noticed it.

In both cases the detail on which the protagonist concentrates is a simulacrum of something fatal (in one case a bleeding wound, in the other the poison powder) but is not the thing itself. Somehow it reminds DougieCoop/Nikki of what has not yet happened, or happened in an alternate reality, through the very simple mechanism of visual resemblance.

Funny how secrets travel.
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Novalis wrote:
LateReg wrote:
Venus wrote: Not sure he saw right through him. Think he just saw dandruff. Who knew dandruff could be a life saver?
This reminded me of the ketchup stain on Piotrek / Smithy's t-shirt at the barbecue / hot dog garden party in Inland Empire. The Lost Girl was visible in the stain for Nikki, but it also recalled a wound in another life.

Powdery dandruff-like stuff around Anthony's collar, looking very much like the poison he poured in the coffee maybe recalled something for DougieCoop (someone clever mentioned the star-field which DougieCoop had to traverse on his incoming voyage back into the world), as well as foreshadowing what would have happened had he not noticed it.

In both cases the detail on which the protagonist concentrates is a simulacrum of something fatal (in one case a bleeding wound, in the other the poison powder) but is not the thing itself. Somehow it reminds DougieCoop/Nikki of what has not yet happened, or happened in an alternate reality, through the very simple mechanism of visual resemblance.

Funny how secrets travel.
Excellent!
Ragnell
RR Diner Member

Post by Ragnell »

I love the above analysis, but I have to bring up another, more practical angle.

ne of the youtubers I saw had assumed that in this scene we just weren't seeing Coop's intuitive functions anymore like we had been up until now. The way he aat up and looked at the coffee shop door, for example, when the pies are not clearly in his line of sight, made him think Coop was seeing TOAM in the door again.

Which would mean those little flashes as we saw in the case files and over Tony's face were also there, prompting Coop to interact again.

Now, what it means that we as the audience no longer SEE this, I don't know but I have a thought. I remember when 5 came out I got the impression these insight flashes, excluding the actual visions of TOAM, were just an artistic representation of Cooper's natural intuition, and I found the thought preferrable in Part 6 too. It occurs to me, though, that given how.. well, Coopery he looks when he gets up to get the pie, and how Dale would habe sudden, unexplainable motivation to look in one place or another ("I'm not going to Cliff's trailer." "Then where are you going?" "Over here.") that large glimpses of another reality leading him in one direction or another may not be new either.

We might not be seeing the intuition flashes because Dougie is transitioning from pure intuition to another stage, maybe? Or because now that we've seen them Lynch now wants to show Dougie without that view inside his psyche, and how that view looks considerably more like the Cooper we know than it did in the earlier parts.