POLL: The Nature of Audrey's Situation

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

In your opinion, what is the nature of Audrey’s situation in Part 12?

Poll ended at Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:37 am

She is in the “real” world of Twin Peaks.
38%
She is in a coma, and the scene takes place in her head.
19%
She is not in a coma, but she is dreaming.
1%
She is not in a coma or dreaming, but experiencing a psychological delusion.
26%
She is trapped in the Black Lodge.
5%
Audrey and Charlie are acting in or rehearsing for a movie or play (not Twin Peaks)
3%
Other (please explain in thread)
8%

Total votes: 152
Cooperscoffeecup
RR Diner Member

Re: POLL: The Nature of Audrey's Situation (Spoilers)

Post by Cooperscoffeecup »

Low Entropy wrote:I assume all of season 3, including this scene, is a dream, but likely not by Audrey. Maybe by Cooper, or maybe it won't ever be revealed.
I think that would be disappointing if everything was a dream.
Dreamy Audrey
RR Diner Member

Post by Dreamy Audrey »

Cooperscoffeecup wrote:
Low Entropy wrote:I assume all of season 3, including this scene, is a dream, but likely not by Audrey. Maybe by Cooper, or maybe it won't ever be revealed.
Maybe the last episode will end with a younger Cooper saying: "Harry, let me tell you about the dream I had last night." :mrgreen:
RR Diner Member

Post by 4815162342 »

AudreyHorne wrote:
Cooperscoffeecup wrote:
Maybe the last episode will end with a younger Cooper saying: "Harry, let me tell you about the dream I had last night." :mrgreen:
Horrible idea. Hideous. Everything this season hasn't worked, but that would literally ruin everything.
Cooperscoffeecup
RR Diner Member

AudreyHorne wrote:
Cooperscoffeecup wrote:
LOL. That specific scene would be funny though. You have to be on the Sparkle big time to dream all this up. :lol:

Kyle said it would all come together, I have faith in that. I think the next episode is going to be big one. The Audrey saga will probably be hanging for a week or so now. :)
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

Some of the crazy and random thoughts I've had about this scene -

It reminded me of that Twilight Zone episode where the writer wrote his mistress and wife into existence. I don't know why - maybe it was all of the papers and books signifying that he might be some kind of writer and the fireplace - the wife in TZ ended up throwing the paper of her existence into the fireplace and disappeared before her husband's eyes. Maybe Charlie is similar to the Cowboy from MD. Maybe the real Audrey died (which might be why we've never heard any of the other Hornes mention her to date), and the Audrey we are seeing is some kind of weird Dougie-esque lodge creation.

I'm wondering why Charlie and Audrey aren't wearing wedding rings - some married couples don't, and this isn't weird given that they are at odds, but that stuck out to me. Also, why does Audrey need Charlie to go with her for his company and protection? All his company seems to do is piss her off, and what kind of protection could he offer her? Protection from what? This doesn't seem like the old Audrey at all - the old Audrey wouldn't be waiting around for the phone to ring or for someone to accompany her. She would have been halfway to the Roadhouse by then. She seems unusually dependent on Charlie almost by design and is unable to leave on her own. There is a roadblock at every turn - it's late, the papers are fishy, Charlie won't get his coat, etc. Is this the real Audrey? How does "the contract" tie into this?

I don't know what any of this means - just some rambling thoughts way past my bedtime!
wAtChLaR
RR Diner Member

Post by wAtChLaR »

Hester Prynne wrote:Some of the crazy and random thoughts I've had about this scene -

It reminded me of that Twilight Zone episode where the writer wrote his mistress and wife into existence. !
soooo many allusions to twilight zone this season...thank you for posting this....YES
i'm a moderator's nightmare

i know i know
madeleineferguson
RR Diner Member

Post by madeleineferguson »

I'm thinking that Audrey is out of her mind and Charlie is actually her full time mental health caregiver. Rather than be put away into a lunatic asylum, Ben Horne hired Charlie to care for Audrey, and that's what he does. He's purposely evasive with her because he knows her mind will quickly move onto something else anyway.

Charlie purposely mentions the crystal ball on his desk, hoping it will distract Audrey and calm her down.
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

wAtChLaR wrote:
Hester Prynne wrote:Some of the crazy and random thoughts I've had about this scene -

It reminded me of that Twilight Zone episode where the writer wrote his mistress and wife into existence. !
soooo many allusions to twilight zone this season...thank you for posting this....YES
The acting and phrasing of the lines reminded me of the scene in the "On the Air" Pilot between Betty and Bert. Specifically Bert's line below:

BETTY
Where are you calling from, Andrew? You sound like
you're right down in the lobby.

BERT
(emphatically)
I'm NOT calling from downstairs in the lobby, Sarah.
I'm calling from my office clear across town.
wAtChLaR
RR Diner Member

Post by wAtChLaR »

dugpa wrote:
wAtChLaR wrote:

The acting and phrasing of the lines reminded me of the scene in the "On the Air" Pilot between Betty and Bert. Specifically Bert's line below:

BETTY
Where are you calling from, Andrew? You sound like
you're right down in the lobby.

BERT
(emphatically)
I'm NOT calling from downstairs in the lobby, Sarah.
I'm calling from my office clear across town.

i really need to watch those episodes again....you are spot on
i'm a moderator's nightmare

i know i know
tresojos
Roadhouse Member

Post by tresojos »

audrey is the viewer, charlie is david lynch :wink:
donna madonna mañana fofana osama bin laden hayward
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

madeleineferguson wrote:I'm thinking that Audrey is out of her mind and Charlie is actually her full time mental health caregiver. Rather than be put away into a lunatic asylum, Ben Horne hired Charlie to care for Audrey, and that's what he does. He's purposely evasive with her because he knows her mind will quickly move onto something else anyway.

Charlie purposely mentions the crystal ball on his desk, hoping it will distract Audrey and calm her down.
Damn, that would be depressing.

Interesting how pretty much all theories jive with the scene at this point.
Ragnell
RR Diner Member

Post by Ragnell »

Jasper wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:And as far as Audrey specifically: keep in mind that this is a person we last saw at age 18; we're now seeing her 25 years later as a fully-formed middle-aged adult, with all the regret, anger and loss that entails. Are you the person you thought or hoped you'd be at this age, back when you were 18? I'm certainly not. I'm not saying you have to like what L/F did with the character, or that we shouldn't question artistic choices. But I really think, realistically, when you're dealing with seeing teenage characters a quarter of a century later, you need to set expectations WAY to the side, even moreso than with any other aspect of this show.
Putting all of this aside, why are some of us acting as if Audrey's entire personality can be known based upon a single scene where she's clearly engaged in a bitter argument and desperately concerned about finding her missing lover? I hope nobody ever takes video of me after somebody just cut me off in traffic and says "This is Jasper at [AGE REDACTED], folks. He just screams obscenities at cars all day every day." :lol:
What's surprising me is the lack of empathy. I thought we learned better back in Part 6 about judging the frustrated wives. And we KNOW Audrey. We know she was a purehearted romantic girl who liked to say and do outrageous things to try and get a reaction from her father, and that that covered a desperate pain and a finetuned moral sense.

And here we see her, in this room, worried about a MISSING person, trying to get a reaction from this passionless man. She yells at him, she curses at him, she berates him, she tells him (whether truthfully or not but knowing Audrey it's probably an exaggeration) that she's having an affair, she asks about (divorce?) papers. But he is clearly not bothered at all, doesn't care at all about Billy, doesn't care to move.

For some reason, she needs Charlie to care about something. To go with her. Maybe she can't drive anymore (lingering disability from the coma?). Maybe she is afraid to be alone for some reason. Maybe she WANTS to salvage this marriage like she WANTED a good father and she is trying to get some jndication he gives a damn.

Whatever it is, its clear Audrey's frustration is warranted. She has the higher priority. She has good reason to be upset. We as the audience are supposed to see HER as the reasonable one and be frustrated with her. Its clear she is in an unusually frightening circumstance. She has a dream about him bleeding from the nose and mouth. That is a big deal in Twin Peaks.

But so many fans seem to think she's become a horrible person and an unreasonable, unlikable shrew.
PsychoFox
Roadhouse Member

Post by PsychoFox »

I don't remenber: did we see her moving ? Did we see her legs ?
Cipher
RR Diner Member

Post by Cipher »

My crazy theory at this point is that she really does live in the real world of Twin Peaks, and she really is in a marriage of convenience with Charlie.
Cooperscoffeecup
RR Diner Member

PsychoFox wrote:I don't remenber: did we see her moving ? Did we see her legs ?
she is standing, she doesn't walk steps but she moves on the spot. It doesn't look like there is any physical limitations. her hand that she had the coat draped over I thought for a few minutes may have been kept in the same positions purposely, but she moved it later on in the scene ok.