POLL: The Nature of Audrey's Situation

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

In your opinion, what is the nature of Audrey’s situation in Part 12?

Poll ended at Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:37 am

She is in the “real” world of Twin Peaks.
38%
She is in a coma, and the scene takes place in her head.
19%
She is not in a coma, but she is dreaming.
1%
She is not in a coma or dreaming, but experiencing a psychological delusion.
26%
She is trapped in the Black Lodge.
5%
Audrey and Charlie are acting in or rehearsing for a movie or play (not Twin Peaks)
3%
Other (please explain in thread)
8%

Total votes: 152
PsychoFox
Roadhouse Member

Re: POLL: The Nature of Audrey's Situation (Spoilers)

Post by PsychoFox »

Jonah wrote:I love all these theories (and there's definitely a lot of strange stuff to notice in that scene, especially how they barely move) but I think she's just Audrey and in the "real" Twin Peaks. But I do think this entire series may turn out to be a dream, ala (possibly) "Mulholland Drive".
They barely move because the 2 actors weren't shot at the same time. Possibly because of Sherilyn Fenn schedule.

You can see it with the editing glitches between Audrey's front / Audrey's back. Not very professional, to my mind.
PsychoFox
Roadhouse Member

Post by PsychoFox »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Metamorphia wrote:But does Charlie ever call her "Audrey"? I haven't seen the scene back so can't remember. If he does then it's probably not a scene from a movie.
Yes, he says Audrey's name at least once (I think multiple times).
And they spoke about the Roadhouse.
Dreamy Audrey
RR Diner Member

Post by Dreamy Audrey »

PsychoFox wrote:
Jonah wrote:I love all these theories (and there's definitely a lot of strange stuff to notice in that scene, especially how they barely move) but I think she's just Audrey and in the "real" Twin Peaks. But I do think this entire series may turn out to be a dream, ala (possibly) "Mulholland Drive".
They barely move because the 2 actors weren't shot at the same time. Possibly because of Sherilyn Fenn schedule.

You can see it with the editing glitches between Audrey's front / Audrey's back. Not very professional, to my mind.
1) They were in the same room because at the beginning the camera moved from Audrey to Charlie. 2) Shooting at different times doesn't mean the characters can't move around. The two characters weren't next to each other, so it would have been possible to focus on one of the characters and show some movement. Audrey could have moved around in her part of the room but she didn't. She remained in the same spot for 10 minutes, that is really strange.

PsychoFox wrote:And they spoke about the Roadhouse.
But isn't Roadhouse a very common name/type of inn? It doesn't necessarily have to be the Twin Peaks Roadhouse. It isn't even the actual name of the TP Roadhouse, I thought characters were only always referring to it as "the Roadhouse" because it was the only Roadhouse of the town, the same way some people might say "The Hotel" instead of "The Great Northern", which still doesn't make the Great Northern the only hotel in the world.
RR Diner Member

Post by 4815162342 »

Also mentioned Billy missing (mentioned by Bing at RR), and his truck (already had a scene about that).
Dreamy Audrey
RR Diner Member

Post by Dreamy Audrey »

4815162342 wrote:Also mentioned Billy missing (mentioned by Bing at RR), and his truck (already had a scene about that).
Assuming that truck owner we saw is also named Billy. As of now the character with the truck has only been credited as "Farmer", saying he is Billy is just speculation. Besides, the farmer's truck was stolen by Richard and the farmer was very reluctant to talk to the police, whereas Billy's truck was stolen by a character named Chuck and he didn't mind talking to the police, considering he called the Sheriff to report it stolen. If you insist Audrey's scene has to be taken literal, the farmer and Billy aren't be the same characters, you can't have it both ways.
Last edited by Dreamy Audrey on Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

It seems to be they were filmed in the same room. But if they weren't, is that a stand-in used for Audrey when you see her back looking at Charlie?
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
RR Diner Member

Post by 4815162342 »

AudreyHorne wrote:
4815162342 wrote:Also mentioned Billy missing (mentioned by Bing at RR), and his truck (already had a scene about that).
Assuming that truck owner we saw is also named Billy. As of now the character with the truck has only been credited as "Farmer", saying he is Billy is just speculation. Besides, the farmer's truck was stolen by Richard and the farmer was very reluctant to talk to the police, whereas Billy's truck was stolen by a character named Chuck and he didn't mind talking to the police, considering he called the Sheriff to report it stolen. If you insist Audrey's scene has to be taken literal, the farmer and Billy aren't be the same characters, you can't have it both ways.
I'll admit that the plot is confusing, but you have to admit it is possible that Chuck stole it and gave it to richard ( or it's Richard Charles Horne), and Billy reported it stolen, but when it was returned he was threatened (then killed).
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

I know this is stating the bleeding obvious, but people can dream about things that actually happened. It being a dream doesn't mean it bears no relation to events outside it. In fact, dreams have so far been accurate portrayals of events indeed even prescient (c.f. the Mitchum brothers' Candie-cut and pie-in-a-box).
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
DamnFineCreamedCorn
Roadhouse Member

Post by DamnFineCreamedCorn »

A coma. Her school-age reference to Charlie's "homework," the rotary phone, the lack of a computer, the aged set, her total absence from Richard's story, her dream and Charlie's sleepiness.... IMO it's an elegant mirror of Dale's removal from the world for 25 years.

The good Audrey is in a bad dream and she can't leave. Write it on the Internet.
I've already gone places. I just want to stay where I am.
Dreamy Audrey
RR Diner Member

Post by Dreamy Audrey »

4815162342 wrote:
AudreyHorne wrote:
I'll admit that the plot is confusing, but you have to admit it is possible that Chuck stole it and gave it to richard ( or it's Richard Charles Horne), and Billy reported it stolen, but when it was returned he was threatened (then killed).
I'll admit that anything is possible, but some people seem to think their interpretation of scenes is the only possible way to read them and that anyone who doesn't agree with them is an idiot.

By the way, since you mentioned the Chuck/Charles, I thought it was curious that Charlie is talking about a character named Chuck, since both are nicknames for the same name. It could be a hint at doppelgangers or maybe it's just a coincidence.
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

DamnFineCreamedCorn wrote:A coma. Her school-age reference to Charlie's "homework," the rotary phone, the lack of a computer, the aged set, her total absence from Richard's story, her dream and Charlie's sleepiness.... IMO it's an elegant mirror of Dale's removal from the world for 25 years.

The good Audrey is in a bad dream and she can't leave. Write it on the Internet.
This is also a very compelling argument, and one that is yrev well anchored in the mise en scène. The problem is, every interpretation I've read is also convincing to me -- hence my indecision. Also, I don't have a preference. It doesn't seem to matter to me whether this scene is expressionist-literal, straight literal, a coma-dream or a nightmare. Whether that's a good thing or not I don't know.
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
waferwhitemilk
Roadhouse Member

Post by waferwhitemilk »

People can be so delusional. David Lynch pissed on the corpse of Audrey Horne (re: the nature of Audrey's situation). He defiled her sublime memory as the pure hearted angel of the original series. He has no ideas left, no original ideas left and he views older women as either nags or invisible after the age of forty. He should be ashamed and people who support this should be ashamed too!!!
Dreamy Audrey
RR Diner Member

Post by Dreamy Audrey »

I think there are arguments for and against all of the theories so it's difficult to decide for one. In my opinion the theories that the scene wasn't what it seems are more interesting, but who knows. Maybe the scene being real could work for me, depending on how the story develops.

Maybe Audrey really needs Charlie to protect her, maybe he is protecting her from Richard or DoppelCoop and she is only safe as long as Charlie is with her. Though I can't imagine what's so special about Charlie and how him being at her side would stop Richard or DoppelCoop.
Voided
Roadhouse Member

Post by Voided »

Cooperscoffeecup wrote:It's a movie set and she is acting.
Charlie addresses her as Audrey. What are the chances of her playing an eponymous character?
Just forget you ever saw it. It's better that way.
Ragnell
RR Diner Member

Post by Ragnell »

AudreyHorne wrote:
4815162342 wrote:
AudreyHorne wrote: Assuming that truck owner we saw is also named Billy. As of now the character with the truck has only been credited as "Farmer", saying he is Billy is just speculation. Besides, the farmer's truck was stolen by Richard and the farmer was very reluctant to talk to the police, whereas Billy's truck was stolen by a character named Chuck and he didn't mind talking to the police, considering he called the Sheriff to report it stolen. If you insist Audrey's scene has to be taken literal, the farmer and Billy aren't be the same characters, you can't have it both ways.
I'll admit that anything is possible, but some people seem to think their interpretation of scenes is the only possible way to read them and that anyone who doesn't agree with them is an idiot.

By the way, since you mentioned the Chuck/Charles, I thought it was curious that Charlie is talking about a character named Chuck, since both are nicknames for the same name. It could be a hint at doppelgangers or maybe it's just a coincidence.
Maybe the farmer Andy talked to was Chuck. I could swear Andy asked if it was his truck, and then said "If that's not your truck, you have to tell me whose it is."