POLL: The Nature of Audrey's Situation

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

In your opinion, what is the nature of Audrey’s situation in Part 12?

Poll ended at Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:37 am

She is in the “real” world of Twin Peaks.
38%
She is in a coma, and the scene takes place in her head.
19%
She is not in a coma, but she is dreaming.
1%
She is not in a coma or dreaming, but experiencing a psychological delusion.
26%
She is trapped in the Black Lodge.
5%
Audrey and Charlie are acting in or rehearsing for a movie or play (not Twin Peaks)
3%
Other (please explain in thread)
8%

Total votes: 152
Dreamy Audrey
RR Diner Member

Re: POLL: The Nature of Audrey's Situation (Spoilers)

Post by Dreamy Audrey »

I noticed something weird in the scene from Part 13 when I was looking at episode stills and screencaps. In the episode (left picture) there is some sort of pillar in the room that wasn't in the episode still (right picture). I'm wondering why they added this pillar (or why it was removed for the still). Who has a giant pillar in their living room?

Image Image

Another thing I noticed is that the door to the living room has an additional bolt/door lock (I'm not sure how this thing is called) above the knob on the outside. Isn't this kind of lock usually on the inside so that you can lock yourself in? There's no real use for it on the outside because it won't keep people out, but it could lock someone (Audrey) in. I thought that was an interesting detail, since we discussed how Charlie was blocking the door and keeping her in in her other scene.

By the way, I'm curious what happened between the two scenes and why Audrey and Charlie went from one room to another if they are basically doing the same thing as before (= not going). Audrey even removed her coat again between the two scenes and at the end she sits down and stays. And Charlie, who claims he will take her to the Roadhouse, is also sitting. I love how their actions always contradict their words.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Dreamy Audrey wrote:I noticed something weird in the scene from Part 13 when I was looking at episode stills and screencaps. In the episode (left picture) there is some sort of pillar in the room that wasn't in the episode still (right picture). I'm wondering why they added this pillar (or why it was removed for the still). Who has a giant pillar in their living room?
The still is taken closer to Audrey and Charlie, so the pillar is out of the frame. That's all.
Dreamy Audrey wrote:Another thing I noticed is that the door to the living room has an additional bolt/door lock (I'm not sure how this thing is called) above the knob on the outside. Isn't this kind of lock usually on the inside so that you can lock yourself in? There's no real use for it on the outside because it won't keep people out, but it could lock someone (Audrey) in. I thought that was an interesting detail, since we discussed how Charlie was blocking the door and keeping her in in her other scene.
You could be right. I can't tell from the screenshot, but it could be a key lock that looks like a hand-turned lock simply because of misleading reflections. It could also be that the living room is a common room, and that door leads to a private study (or something like that).

In any case, I like this house a lot, whether it's real or imagined.
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

That "pillar" is just a stair railing / divider.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

The pilar is just part of the structure of that style of house, most likely a room divider... Common at early twentieth century, instead of walls, waist level with wooden columns, the production still is just taken at a slightly different angel. Not the position of the foreground chair.

I have no idea about the Audrey situation now. ...which I think is the point (obviously). But I think the important part to her story is they have put her in a situation that she has to break out of, to find herself again. I still don't think it is as simple as a "nuthouse."

And at this stage, I really don't think we're just all of a sudden going to have a scene where Billy is just a regular townsfolk. I still think it could be Cooper. (Bleeding, being chase, something stolen, "has anyone seen Billy?"). If not Cooper, he is representative of something else.

And my god, we're cutting it awful close to introduce a Linda. I think most likely she has to be an alias or means something else besides a person.
Last edited by Audrey Horne on Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
chromereflectsimage
RR Diner Member

Post by chromereflectsimage »

That is a peculiar statue behind Audrey
Attachments
electricity.jpg
electricity.jpg (279.9 KiB) Viewed 8503 times
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

The coma theory was interesting, but seems damaged by Megan's comments on Tina and Billy in the Roadhouse.

I think it would be redundant to have Audrey in the lodge like Cooper and so many others.

Considering the bank explosion and coma, the most likely scenario at this point is mental illness -- which already runs in the Horne family.

And if she has DID like I believe she does, that parallels thematically Cooper's own split identity.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
Dreamy Audrey
RR Diner Member

Post by Dreamy Audrey »

Jasper wrote:
Dreamy Audrey wrote:I noticed something weird in the scene from Part 13 when I was looking at episode stills and screencaps. In the episode (left picture) there is some sort of pillar in the room that wasn't in the episode still (right picture). I'm wondering why they added this pillar (or why it was removed for the still). Who has a giant pillar in their living room?
The still is taken closer to Audrey and Charlie, so the pillar is out of the frame. That's all.
No, the still is taken farer away, so the pillar should be in the frame. Look at the pattern of the carpet. You see the same part of the carpet, in one picture with the pillar and in the other without it, so the pillar was either added or removed.
Jasper wrote:
Dreamy Audrey wrote:Another thing I noticed is that the door to the living room has an additional bolt/door lock (I'm not sure how this thing is called) above the knob on the outside. Isn't this kind of lock usually on the inside so that you can lock yourself in? There's no real use for it on the outside because it won't keep people out, but it could lock someone (Audrey) in. I thought that was an interesting detail, since we discussed how Charlie was blocking the door and keeping her in in her other scene.
You could be right. I can't tell from the screenshot, but it could be a key lock that looks like a hand-turned lock simply because of misleading reflections. It could also be that the living room is a common room, and that door leads to a private study (or something like that).

In any case, I like this house a lot, whether it's real or imagined.
Yes, there is also a keyhole (you can see that in another episode still). And the door leads to a corridor or entrance hall (you get a brief glance of this), which is why I thought it's interesting to have this kind of lock. It's not to keep away people, because if some uninvited guests entered the house, they could just open this hand-turned lock, hence my conclusion that it's only purpose is to lock someone in.

Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Dreamy Audrey wrote:No, the still is taken farer away, so the pillar should be in the frame. Look at the pattern of the carpet. You see the same part of the carpet, in one picture with the pillar and in the other without it, so the pillar was either added or removed.
Upon closer investigation it becomes clear that the still was taken from over to the right of where the camera was filming the scene. Look at the two unoccupied chairs between Audrey and Charlie to see the change in perspective. Any way you cut it, the pillar's just not in the frame.
48558947_22419b.jpg
48558947_22419b.jpg (278.11 KiB) Viewed 8430 times
Dreamy Audrey
RR Diner Member

Post by Dreamy Audrey »

I see the change of perspective, but I cut the pictures myself for comparison and still think that at least some part of the pillar would be in the frame. But it seems we won't agree on this and it's not such an important detail to fight about, I was just curious about a possible set change.
Manwith
RR Diner Member

Post by Manwith »

Could this simply be a drug hallucination similar to what Jerry is going through? While admittedly it's weird that Audrey has never been mentioned by her family, the simplest explanation is that the lack of mention is a red herring and she's just high. Hopefully what's going on will turn out to be more interesting than that.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

There's still quite a bit of mystery with regards to Audrey, so I am extending this poll for yet another week :!:

:arrow: Remember that you can edit your votes.

A screenshot of this poll just prior to the debut of part 15:

Audrey_poll_through_pt_14.png
Audrey_poll_through_pt_14.png (136.53 KiB) Viewed 8293 times
Dreamy Audrey
RR Diner Member

Post by Dreamy Audrey »

Interesting, how the scene in Part 15 parallels and reverses the scene from Part 12. It's like they are going round in circles and never achieving the goal. But there are changes. In the first scene, they are in a room with closed doors and not moving, in the second scene they are in an room with open doors, but Audrey regresses by sitting down (and she removed her coat), in the third scene they are on the "threshold" (to what? leaving, waking up, realizing the truth?) but there is regress because they go back into the living room. And every time, Audrey seems a bit more frustrated and crazy. In the first scene it was very subtle, but now it's obvious that something is wrong with Audrey.

The parallels:

Audrey:
"Okay, I'm tired of waiting for the phone to ring. I'm going to the Roadhouse. I know he couldn't stand that place [...]" (Part 12)
"I'm just tired of waiting for the phone. Billy hated that place, but-" (Part 15)

Charlie:
"It's already late, and I'm getting sleepy.", "I'm so sleepy" (Part 12)
"It's already late and I'm so sleepy." (Part 15)

The reversed roles:

In Part 12 Charlie is surprised Audrey already has her jacket and she answers that she obviously needs it because they are going out, in Part 15 their roles are reversed:

Part 12:
Charlie: "I'll need my jacket. I see you've already got yours."
Audrey: "Uh, yeah, what the fuck do you think? I told you we were going out. Obviously I'll need my jacket."
[...]
Audrey: "Just get your jacket. Asshole."

Part 15:
Audrey: "Oh. You got your coat on."
Charlie: "Of course I do. We're going out. We're going to the Roadhouse. I will need my coat."
[...]
Charlie: "Are you gonna put your coat on [...]?"

In Part 12, Charlie was stalling and changing the topic, in Part 15 it's Audrey.

In Part 13, Audrey thinks she is not herself or a different person, in Part 15 she thinks Charlie is a different person.
Part 13: "I feel like I'm somewhere else. [...] Like I'm somewhere else and - and like I'm somebody else."
Part 15: "You, Charlie, it's you. I just never really saw you before the way I'm seeing you now. Like I'm meeting a different person. Who are you, Charlie?"

The characters act the same way and in reversed roles, does this indicate that Audrey is struggling with herself? Is she starting to realize this when she begins to see Charlie as a different person? Does she hate herself because she keeps herself from leaving? Or is she processing past events, like realizing that Cooper acts like a different person and questioning that he is not the real Cooper? There seems to be an emphasis on Billy and Charlie being different people:

Audrey: "You know, when Billy and I go places, he never speaks to me the way you do, Charlie." (-> Good Cooper never speaks to me the way you do, bad Cooper)
Charlie: "Yes. Well, I am Charlie and he is Billy." (-> Well, I am bad Cooper and he is good Cooper. Of course we act differently.)
Audrey: "And I like Billy better." (-> I like good Cooper better.)

Audrey: "Look, Charlie, let's just call a spade a spade. You have no balls. That's why I'm in love with Billy." (-> That's why I'm in love with good Cooper.)

Audrey: "How can you be like this? I hate your fucking guts! I hate you! Do you know how much I fucking hate you?" (-> I hate you, bad Cooper!)

Audrey seems to have a real problem with Charlie. It looks like she is always trying to argue with him, even when he is calm and doesn't do anything. She calls him names, gets angry and finds fault with his behaviour or words. Especially the last quote (about how much she hates him) is what makes me think Charlie might represent bad Cooper. The way she attacks him and expresses her hate seemed like Charlie had wronged her in some way. I don't think she would act that way if this was just a loveless marriage and she felt indifferent towards Charlie (unless she is just crazy) or if she was angry at herself for not waking up.
Ragnell
RR Diner Member

Post by Ragnell »

I know we focus on Audrey's behavior, because she is more aggressive and active and emotional but... To me, Charlie seems off too. He is just too calm. Too unemotional. "It's late and I'm so sleepy" is delivered like he doesn't mean it. It's not bad acting, it's a true-seeming character--like, he just.. doesn't care. At all. And it's not, he doesn't care to go find Billy because this is the guy his wife is in love with. He doesn't care about the horrible things she's saying to him. He doesn't care that his wife is in love with this guy. He doesn't care about the papers. He doesn't really seem to care about the contract or Paul, although those change his behaviors. When he says he's tired, he doesn't sound actually tired. He sounds like he's mocking her seriousness. He is the polar opposite of Audrey in temperament, and that holds true no matter who wants to leave and who doesn't.

Honestly, it's been hard for me to judge Audrey's words so harshly when Charlie seems completely unperturbed by ANY of the verbal abuse, and seems to hold a significant level of emotional power in this dynamic. They seem to trade off who's got the power. And when she attacks him, well... these two are pretty much the same size. I'm not worried at all about Charlie and the scene isn't framed like he's frightened or in danger. I fully expect the next scene to be them just arguing again, having forgotten she attacked him.

Maybe this is the "real" world Twin Peaks.. but neither of them are in their right mind. Maybe the weirdness in town is affecting how they both relate to each other, and is what's causing this constant battle about going out where they switch roles back and forth and Audrey goes up and down the emotional spectrum while Charlie doesn't seem to feel anything and something is affecting their memories.

If that's the case, then, if Cooper and Co can restore balance and head off whatever disaster is building, then maybe we'll see Audrey and Charlie settle into a more congenial dynamic, settle the dispute, wonder why they behaved this way... and then actually leave and go to the Roadhouse. They might even be the last Roadhouse booth scene.
nonemoreblack
RR Diner Member

Post by nonemoreblack »

Dreamy Audrey wrote:Interesting, how the scene in Part 15 parallels and reverses the scene from Part 12. It's like they are going round in circles and never achieving the goal. But there are changes. In the first scene, they are in a room with closed doors and not moving, in the second scene they are in an room with open doors, but Audrey regresses by sitting down (and she removed her coat), in the third scene they are on the "threshold" (to what? leaving, waking up, realizing the truth?) but there is regress because they go back into the living room. And every time, Audrey seems a bit more frustrated and crazy. In the first scene it was very subtle, but now it's obvious that something is wrong with Audrey.
Your theory is similar to what I've been thinking. Audrey's relationship with Cooper was a key part of her storyline, so I feel like it can't be as simple as her having a breakdown because of the bank explosion and having marriage problems. Audrey's mental state being related to the trauma of her perfect man raping her makes more sense, and it gives her a connection to the wider storyline.

Also, I'm not sure about the theory that he's her therapist anymore because the environment they're in doesn't seem healthy for either of them.
Dreamy Audrey
RR Diner Member

Post by Dreamy Audrey »

Part 15 also reminded us of the fact that Cooper was important to Audrey and that this storyline hasn't been abandoned despite the Wheeler and Annie storylines in season 2. Why else did Richard find a picture of Cooper in Audrey's possession? We also had an earlier reminder of their relationship when Doc Hayward said he assumed Cooper visited Audrey in intensive care. These reminders would be pointless, if Mr. C. doesn't have anything to do with Audrey's situation at all.