Let's talk about that title Let's Rock

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

aldiboronti

Let's talk about that title Let's Rock

Post by aldiboronti »

What were most of us expecting of an episode with that title? Each time the phrase featured before it was in connection with mysterious Black Lodge happenings: the Little Man From Another Place, the disappearance of Chet Desmond on the trail of the Chalfonts and finding the Owl Cave Ring. It's natural then that we should connect the phrase with strange events and it's natural too that we should expect this episode to feature those events. I certainly did. Lynch of course must have known all that and he played us, he played us beautifully. No wonder people were so angry.

Now why would he do that? I don't know but I do know that when I watched this episode a second time, free of the expectation that we'd be dealing with Black Lodge forces, I absolutely loved it. What had been so frustrating before became riveting, I could sit back and enjoy the performances without screaming like Audrey, "Tell me! Tell me." I really can appreciate this episode now but I still don't know why Lynch did this to us.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Re: Let's talk about that title Let's Rock

Post by baxter »

I'm really glad I had my expectations deflated before watching it, and it is no mystery that my enjoyment of the episode seems greater than that of other people. There are lots of factors playing against taking the episodes on their own terms. e.g. the mounting sense of panic that there is little run time left, and every minute that isn't spent doing <insert Cooper + lodge craziness here> is wasted. Each week I think "this is the week where it will finally go crazy!", and of course it just plods along like it has for 12 hours now. I'm going to try and avoid anticipating next weeks episode, and simply watch it like a TV show that brings a few new revelations each week, and has a fun atmosphere and characters.

Having said that, surely next week is the week it goes crazy? ;-)
Cipher
RR Diner Member

Post by Cipher »

baxter wrote:I'm really glad I had my expectations deflated before watching it, and it is no mystery that my enjoyment of the episode seems greater than that of other people. There are lots of factors playing against taking the episodes on their own terms. e.g. the mounting sense of panic that there is little run time left, and every minute that isn't spent doing <insert Cooper + lodge craziness here> is wasted. Each week I think "this is the week where it will finally go crazy!", and of course it just plods along like it has for 12 hours now. I'm going to try and avoid anticipating next weeks episode, and simply watch it like a TV show that brings a few new revelations each week, and has a fun atmosphere and characters.

Having said that, surely next week is the week it goes crazy? ;-)
I'm not sure how much craziness can be expected before the genuine climax at this point. It's not like characters are going to come and go from the Lodges; I assume the next major visit we see will be the last.

It's also not like they're going to stop the Lodges from existing, or even really need to explain the more than they have. A lot could be done with even a single additional hour there in terms of wrapping up Laura and Cooper's stories, though I suspect we'll get closer to two.

As far as Lodge craziness, though, we just had Cole begin to be transported through a vortex last week, and Hastings was violently killed by a supernatural entity.
Dreamy Audrey
RR Diner Member

Post by Dreamy Audrey »

I expected the name to be said by the arm or Cooper or anyone connected to the Lodge and that it would happen near the end of the episode and could be related to Cooper waking up, but I never spent much time analyzing the titles before watching the episodes. I didn't mind that it was said by a different person than expected and thought it was kind of funny. I think it made Diane more interesting, because now we can speculate if there was more to her scene and if she is connected to the Black Lodge.
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

AudreyHorne wrote:I expected the name to be said by the arm or Cooper or anyone connected to the Lodge and that it would happen near the end of the episode and could be related to Cooper waking up, but I never spent much time analyzing the titles before watching the episodes. I didn't mind that it was said by a different person than expected and thought it was kind of funny. I think it made Diane more interesting, because now we can speculate if there was more to her scene and if she is connected to the Black Lodge.
Can anyone verify if the sound of rustling/walking just before Diane enters the curtained room in the Mayfair is forwards or backwards? I'm unclear, but to me it sounded an awful lot like some of the red room sounds. The whoosh sound as Diane draws her finger pistol is much clearer and obvious.

Listen to the sounds.
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
Daliz
Roadhouse Member

Post by Daliz »

There is definitely something yrev very suspicious about Diane. The little things and sounds in the "Let's rock" scene especially point towards a Black Lodge connection or at least knowledge of such things. Not to mention the phrase "Let's rock" itself.

I don't like Diane, at least this Diane much as a character but it is very interesting why she is like she is.
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

Maybe a trivial point but ultimately every analysable detail should be recorded, if not for use then for pleasure:

After Diane dramatically announces 'Let's Rock' Cole bangs the table. If it was done for the sake of drama, then to me it seemed superfluous, like a drum riff after a punchline. So perhaps it wasn't for drama, and was a gesture somewhat similar to crossing one's fingers (e.g. knocking on wood).
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
Saturn's child
RR Diner Member

Post by Saturn's child »

Novalis wrote:So perhaps it wasn't for drama, and was a gesture somewhat similar to crossing one's fingers (e.g. knocking on wood).
I took it a little like this as well. As I've heard it, you knock on wood to draw the attention of the spirits inside, calling back to the idea that trees are inhabited by supernatural beings. Feels like a Peaks thing to do (like whistling as you walk through the graveyard). I also just like the percussive effect of it following the music around Diane's "Let's rock", has a nice kinda whip-crack to it or something.
asmahan
RR Diner Member

Post by asmahan »

Diane probably is familiar with the Let's Rock phrase from Cooper's tapes. She was probably making a deadpan reference to the previous failures of the Blue Rose task force.
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

Between the red curtains and Diane's mannerisms, maybe there was some weird lodge happenings going on in that scene that we'll realize later on.
Elric99
Roadhouse Member

Post by Elric99 »

Novalis wrote:Maybe a trivial point but ultimately every analysable detail should be recorded, if not for use then for pleasure:

After Diane dramatically announces 'Let's Rock' Cole bangs the table. If it was done for the sake of drama, then to me it seemed superfluous, like a drum riff after a punchline. So perhaps it wasn't for drama, and was a gesture somewhat similar to crossing one's fingers (e.g. knocking on wood).
I thought Cole might have mis-heard her say "Let's knock" :D
wAtChLaR
RR Diner Member

Post by wAtChLaR »

Elric99 wrote:
I thought Cole might have mis-heard her say "Let's knock" :D

post of the day :lol:
i'm a moderator's nightmare

i know i know
Dreamy Audrey
RR Diner Member

Post by Dreamy Audrey »

I'm not sure if you're joking or not, but the way the character is written I really think he misheard her :D
Mr. Jackpots
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Jackpots »

Daliz wrote:
I don't like Diane, at least this Diane much as a character but it is very interesting why she is like she is.
I like this Diane just okay. I kind of liked Diane better when she was an unseen character. Dern is doing a Damn fine Job!

There very well could be a Lodge connection with Diane. She says"lets rock". She is connected/working with Mr. C. The sound design/effects that surround her are associated with lodge. And I bet there is more if you pay close attention.