When do you think will "Dougie" snap back to being Cooper? (Spoilers)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

The Gazebo
RR Diner Member

Re: When do you think will "Dougie" snap back to being Cooper? (Spoilers)

Post by The Gazebo »

anthoto1 wrote:Agree with what someone said in the disappointed group : I think the Dougie arc may be a metaphor of a child slowly growing up and becoming a man.

Early in the season, we see him almost learning how to walk, play, then eat his first meal on his own. In the last two episodes, he discovers sex (what a typical teenager would do around age 16/17) and drink alcohol (something you're not supposed to do before the legal majority age). He's turning into an adult at this point and I think the rumour about him waking up during a particular episode are probably true.
I don't disagree. Some have tried to paint the story arc as an internal struggle to regain his faculties, but everything points to the fact that he only runs on basic sensory inputs, like taste and smell, as well as icons/logos (the very first things children learn to read). Whether we view him as a baby or an old, senile man isn't too big a deal for me - his behavior seems to be devoid of any deep thought.

However, it's a very odd choice for a story arc. If this is indeed the idea behind it, I really don't see what's so compelling about it, aside from laughing at his antics here and there. I have no issue with him needing time to become tuned to the world again after 25 years of god-knows-what, but starting like an infant? With this set-up, there really is no reason why he should suddenly "snap" out of it, like so many expect.
bastia
Roadhouse Member

Post by bastia »

That reddit theory has a giant hole. The serie is in 2014, not 2016.
pinballmars
Roadhouse Member

Post by pinballmars »

Cooper isn't merely adjusting to the world after twenty-five years. There's something wrong with him that might be beyond any human effort to overcome. When he passed through the electrical socket in Ep. 3, most of his mind and overall consciousness did not come with him. If that was taken away from him through mystical, Lodge-related means, then he might could be just as quickly restored via further supernatural hocus pocus.

My guess is that the date and time that Major Briggs wrote in his note will be important for this.
Mr. Jackpots
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Jackpots »

Theory:

The Lodges open in a couple of days. Mrs. Tremond and her Grandson will bring Dougie some Garmonbonzia. And Dale will wake up.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

pinballmars wrote:Cooper isn't merely adjusting to the world after twenty-five years. There's something wrong with him that might be beyond any human effort to overcome. When he passed through the electrical socket in Ep. 3, most of his mind and overall consciousness did not come with him. If that was taken away from him through mystical, Lodge-related means, then he might could be just as quickly restored via further supernatural hocus pocus.
Absolutely. He's experienced more things, and accomplished more things, but his intellect and his consciousness of being Cooper still seem to be almost completely absent. He's somewhat more oriented into the "Dougie" life, simply by familiarity, but what's missing from Coop's conscious mind is rather profound, and it doesn't seem that the many reminders of his true identity are accumulating all that much into any sort of significantly growing awareness. It's basically like he's got the level of intellect that he's got, and he's got the little conscious awareness that he's got, and with this pittance he's managed to sort of settle into a routine (despite his ongoing need to be herded, lured, and prompted.)

Something major must occur for Cooper to regain full consciousness. I don't believe this will ever happen by Dougie-Coop becoming more and more familiar with his routine. There's something missing. Either he has to integrate that little golden ball left over from the real Dougie, and/or he has to get back his shoes and lapel pin, and/or the doppelganger has to die or otherwise be reintegrated with Cooper's self.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I had hoped for Episode 12. And I'd read some people give a theory that he'd snap back in Episode 15. But based on the tagline for Episode 16
Spoiler:
and something else I can't really go into without giving away spoilers about one big scene - but if you know what that scene is then try to rewatch the footage and I think it looks like Dougie walking in that footage now, not Coop
(which sounds like something Dougie would say), I now think he'll still be Dougie - or Dougie-like - right up to or close to the end.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

Jasper wrote:
pinballmars wrote:Cooper isn't merely adjusting to the world after twenty-five years. There's something wrong with him that might be beyond any human effort to overcome. When he passed through the electrical socket in Ep. 3, most of his mind and overall consciousness did not come with him. If that was taken away from him through mystical, Lodge-related means, then he might could be just as quickly restored via further supernatural hocus pocus.
Absolutely. He's experienced more things, and accomplished more things, but his intellect and his consciousness of being Cooper still seem to be almost completely absent. He's somewhat more oriented into the "Dougie" life, simply by familiarity, but what's missing from Coop's conscious mind is rather profound, and it doesn't seem that the many reminders of his true identity are accumulating all that much into any sort of significantly growing awareness. It's basically like he's got the level of intellect that he's got, and he's got the little conscious awareness that he's got, and with this pittance he's managed to sort of settle into a routine (despite his ongoing need to be herded, lured, and prompted.)

Something major must occur for Cooper to regain full consciousness. I don't believe this will ever happen by Dougie-Coop becoming more and more familiar with his routine. There's something missing. Either he has to integrate that little golden ball left over from the real Dougie, and/or he has to get back his shoes and lapel pin, and/or the doppelganger has to die or otherwise be reintegrated with Cooper's self.
If you look closely at the episode 3 socket scene, Cooper's consciousness snaps right before he is sucked in. It's noticeable for half a second, but when he gets close there's a loud electrical noise and he blinks with an emotionless face like Dougie does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chromereflectsimage
RR Diner Member

Post by chromereflectsimage »

Jonah wrote:I had hoped for Episode 12. And I'd read some people give a theory that he'd snap back in Episode 15. But based on the tagline for Episode 16
Spoiler:
and something else I can't really go into without giving away spoilers about one big scene - but if you know what that scene is then try to rewatch the footage and I think it looks like Dougie walking in that footage now, not Coop
(which sounds like something Dougie would say), I now think he'll still be Dougie - or Dougie-like - right up to or close to the end.
Spoiler:
I just rewatched the footage you're talking about, and he's alot more proactive in that scene than I've seen him as Dougie. No one is leading him around as he walks, and he holds out his hand at one point. I can't see Dougie as he is now doing either
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

Is that a trailer scene you're talking about ?

chromereflectsimage
RR Diner Member

Re: When do you think will

Post by chromereflectsimage »

yaxomoxay wrote:Is that a trailer scene you're talking about ?

Spoiler:
No. One word: TMZ
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

Oh that one!!

yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

Yeah I just re-watched the leaked scene
Spoiler:
it's clearly not Dougie. He walks as Cooper in the lodge/outer world.
Given that Cooper loses his conscience right before entering the outlet, I still subscribe to the theory that Coop will come back on 10/1 (movie time).
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Spoiler:
There's something funny about how he walks up the steps and when he's taking her hand. The way he's holding his arms by his side, sort of gangly-like. And his very slightly stooped posture. I agree he's more pro-active but I still think he looks a little Dougie-like.
But apart from that, doesn't "no knock, no doorbell" sound like something he would say? Who else would say that?
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

Jonah wrote:
Spoiler:
There's something funny about how he walks up the steps and when he's taking her hand. The way he's holding his arms by his side, sort of gangly-like. And his very slightly stooped posture. I agree he's more pro-active but I still think he looks a little Dougie-like.
But apart from that, doesn't "no knock, no doorbell" sound like something he would say? Who else would say that?
Sounds more a Log Lady or Lodge spirit sentence.

Also, No Solicitations

Also,
No-Knock Warrant which would be something that has to do with Gordon (maybe something to do with TP's drugs).
Low Entropy
Roadhouse Member

Post by Low Entropy »

I had my hopes that the indicated (spoiler) scene would mean that Cooper will have more of a mind in later episodes, but I agree, his movements are very Dougie-like, almost as if he is led by "the other person", so I'm in doubt now.