The music of ep. 8

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

claaa7
Great Northern Member

The music of ep. 8

Post by claaa7 »

I know the music of ep 8 has been discussed in the specific 8 thread but as its getting gigantic i think this is worth its own thread. The sound design, compositions and musical choices really enhanced this beautiful 1 hour film. I do need some help identifying whats Badalamenti, etc.

The credited songs are:

"The" Nine Inch Nails - She's Gone Away
Penderecki - Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima
The Platters - My Prayer
David Lynch & Dean Hurley - Slow 30s Room

I guess the Lynch track above is the first slow 30s jazz jam heard when we first see ??????? and Seniorita D. But whats the music following it when The Giant starts levitating, etc.?
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Re: The music of ep. 8

Post by Panapaok »

Slow 30s Room is when we first see Senorita Dido. The track when the Giant levitates is definitely Badalamenti. As well as the atmospheric music when Bad Coop and Ray are driving.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

The levitation music must be new Badalamenti material. It was so, so beautiful.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

According to WTTP the music during the scene where the Woodsmen are "healing" Bad Cooper after Ray's shooting are actually Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata" slowed down x5. Pretty crazy, check it out :

http://welcometotwinpeaks.com/music/woo ... ht-sonata/
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

claaa7 wrote:According to WTTP the music during the scene where the Woodsmen are "healing" Bad Cooper after Ray's shooting are actually Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata" slowed down x5. Pretty crazy, check it out :

Wow! So cool.'The soundscape in that scene was so haunting. It's stayed with me for days. For all Part 8's highlights, I think that scene is still my favorite.
alreadygoneplaces
RR Diner Member

Post by alreadygoneplaces »

Worth mentioning that the Penderecki was given a heavy dose of sound design steroids.
Last edited by alreadygoneplaces on Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Framed_Angel
RR Diner Member

Post by Framed_Angel »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
claaa7 wrote:According to WTTP the music during the scene where the Woodsmen are "healing" Bad Cooper after Ray's shooting are actually Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata" slowed down x5. Pretty crazy, check it out :

Wow! So cool.'The soundscape in that scene was so haunting. It's stayed with me for days. For all Part 8's highlights, I think that scene is still my favorite.
Agreed, I came to this thread especially to point out how very effective the music was during that scene. Seemed rhythmically erratic, and blended well with Ray's fading-in-and-out vocalized cries of shock. All of the music was outstanding -- the "30s room" tune upon 2nd viewing felt a little slow, which I have my own reconciliation with as emphasizing the Lodges' function outside of or in defiance of time (as we experience it). I can't comment about the NIN scene because after about 2 minutes I fast forwarded through it. The Badalamenti scoring in the theatre with Mr ?????? and Senorita evoked for me some chords and keys I knew from Season 2 (a kind of sparkly but sad tune played for example when Audrey visits Cooper's room not long after she's recovered from her time at One Eye Jacques; their conversation is interrupted I think when Cooper has the call from Truman that they found another body, and he tells Audrey to go to her room and stay safe?). I think the tune played during that S2 scene and other select places in S2 builds from a similar chord progression as what we hear in Part 8 when the sparks start filtering from the floating Mr. ???????'s head.

Each musical piece served the moment quite well, the Woodsmen circling Evil Coop though are especially haunting and surreal.
The Brown Lodge
RR Diner Member

Post by The Brown Lodge »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:

agreed.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

alreadygoneplaces wrote:Worth mentioning that the Penderecki was given a heavy dose of sound design steroids.
The use of Penderecki during that scene furthered its relationship with Kubrick and Terry Malick. My three favorite American directors! Kind of cool.
AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Post by AgentEcho »

claaa7 wrote:
alreadygoneplaces wrote:Worth mentioning that the Penderecki was given a heavy dose of sound design steroids.
The use of Penderecki during that scene furthered its relationship with Kubrick and Terry Malick. My three favorite American directors! Kind of cool.
Is there a connection between Penderecki and Malick? The list of films that have used Penderecki according to IMDB is surprisingly short... there have just been so many notable uses that I'd imagined his music had been used more often. But it actually looks like Lynch has used his music more frequently than any other filmmaker. This is the third time he's used Penderecki. Kubrick only did once.

The slowed down use of Moonlight Sonata is really cool. It's completely unrecognizable and it really as a perfect, unsettling effect.

Badalamenti's music for the theater scene is transcendent. I'm not sure the scene would have even worked without that music, but with it the scene was beautiful and haunting.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

AgentEcho wrote:
claaa7 wrote:
Is there a connection between Penderecki and Malick? The list of films that have used Penderecki according to IMDB is surprisingly short... there have just been so many notable uses that I'd imagined his music had been used more often. But it actually looks like Lynch has used his music more frequently than any other filmmaker. This is the third time he's used Penderecki. Kubrick only did once.

The slowed down use of Moonlight Sonata is really cool. It's completely unrecognizable and it really as a perfect, unsettling effect.

Badalamenti's music for the theater scene is transcendent. I'm not sure the scene would have even worked without that music, but with it the scene was beautiful and haunting.
I believe that Malick uses Penderecki in Voyage of Time. Id completely forgot Lynch had used his music in anything else than IE before. Its Wild at Heart right?
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Love, love, love all the music in this part!!!

Except for NiN... I skipped that during my re-watch..
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Fun fact: one of the singers in the Platters is also called David Lynch.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

AgentEcho wrote:
claaa7 wrote:

Lynch: I want to use Moonlight Sonata fir this scene, just slowed down.
Studio lackey slows it x2.
Lynch: no, no! Slow it down.
Studio lackey slows it down x3.
Lynch: what don't you understand, slow it down!
Studio lackey slows it down to x5.
Pissed off Studio lackey: This'll show him. Can't wait to see his face.
Lynch: PERFECT!!!
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

The ??????/Dido scenes rank as one of my all time favorite of anything I've seen, TV or cinema. Not one word, all was said with set, expressions, framing, movement, and MUSIC. Just amazing.

Maybe I've watched it too many times, but I swear that the Balalamenti ????? levitating music is an echo of sorts of the "Slow 30's Room." The structure kind of follows the theme of Slow 30, but in a glorious, full bodied synth organ. The two tracks should not fit, they feel like they should be oil and water, but instead, they form a nearly seamless foundation to build the film upon.