Product Placement in 2017 Twin Peaks (Spoilers)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

tlk

Re: Product Placement in 2017 Twin Peaks (Spoilers)

Post by tlk »

DirkG wrote: Can't be too difficult if you love all of it so far. BTW the worst one for me so far was Andy's Rolex, mostly because it felt quite a bit uncharacteristic for the character. Put it on Ben and it may not had annoyed me.
Didn't say all of it. I only meant that PP in TP3 is not nearly as obnoxious as it is usually (I don't watch modern PP infused movies anyway mind you. so could be wrong). Sometimes genuinely funny. That Blackberry - isn't it some ancient model? Monochrome LCD screen and all. Negative PP?

Forgot the Rolex - yeah it feels misplaced for Andy, but I'd excuse. Chalk it up as 'funny'.
AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Post by AgentEcho »

Junglehop wrote:
I just realized Skype is owned by Microsoft, and in that screen shot Frank is clearly using a Mac, which almost surely wouldn't be the case if that was product placement.

HUH?! He's clearly using a DELL computer! It says DELL on the monitor that pops out of the desk and he's using a chunky black keyboard and mouse...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkVfMWD94KQ

Anyways, product placement or not I think the blatant Skype shoutout was a nod to how Season 3 was created as Lynch has said he and Mark Frost had lengthy discussions over Skype and used it to share and create ideas.
Yeah but look at the window on the actual monitor. I guess you can chalk up the product/software mashup as a continuity gaffe. I noted the second point in the post you responded to.
MoondogJR
RR Diner Member

Post by MoondogJR »

misterroundheels wrote:It isn't product placement, half the companies whose products are seen are competitors.
I agree with this. For instance Ford. We also saw Mercedes in the first part.
"Your log and I are on the same page."
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

DirkG wrote:
tlk wrote:Loving product placement (or the lack thereof) in the new series. Especially that Blackberry :) And how they switched from an enormous Mercedes badge on BadCoop's first car to using almost exclusively lincolns, then to an old rusty Ford.
All brands of electronics Samsung, Gaypple, a Thinkpad (yay!), Dell, etc. Love it. Don't care if its product placement or not if it's done right! Problem is it's extremely difficult to get PP right.
Can't be too difficult if you love all of it so far. BTW the worst one for me so far was Andy's Rolex, mostly because it felt quite a bit uncharacteristic for the character. Put it on Ben and it may not had annoyed me.
I'm sure the Rolex is there to make you think about Andy's character. How he's changed, that he's actually a serious guy, that maybe he always wanted one and maybe Lucy bought it for him, etc.
RR Diner Member

Post by 4815162342 »

"Total fucking bullshit"... I assume he hasn't changed his mind?
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

Andy's Rolex was the only thing that made me sit up and pay attention. Could there be more to Andy than meets the eye? A Rolex is a significant 'statement' piece of jewellery...
Venus
RR Diner Member

Post by Venus »

I really noticed the iPhone Jerry had this week. I do find product placement can take me out of a scene. It's the recognising the product and having my concentration interrupted for just a moment by acknowledging it. It's a distraction, to me at least. I have no idea whether or not money changed hands to have these products on the screen in TP3, I've no idea at all so can't really comment on that. I think when it comes down to it though we watch tv or movies to be entertained but personally, for me at least, I don't want to feel like I am watching one giant advert which is, through placement, trying to get me to buy products (the companies that sell the goods are). They are hoping that by subconsciously seeing your favourite character or actor using them you'll go out and buy them. It's quite underhand really. Just pay for an ad and put it on the advertising section of tv or at the cinema. That way it's upfront and out there. Still though, money is money, and companies will do whatever they need to in order to make the next sale. Plus the tv company or film company may get money back out of it if it is definite product placement so it's one big backscratching exercise.
When Jupiter and Saturn meet...
douglasb
RR Diner Member

Post by douglasb »

When I see people using i-Phones it can take me out of real life and I think I'm in a TV show. How ridiculous does that sound?
Venus
RR Diner Member

Post by Venus »

douglasb wrote:When I see people using i-Phones it can take me out of real life and I think I'm in a TV show. How ridiculous does that sound?
Yes Douglas. You do sound ridiculous :)
When Jupiter and Saturn meet...
writersblock
RR Diner Member

Post by writersblock »

I think the sudden appearance of "technology" and products that we may recognise might be showing that not all is well with Twin Peaks. It's been dragged into the real world and some people, like Lucy, are resisting it. Others, like Jerry and Andy, are embracing it...

Or maybe not :D

I agree that made up things - like Goggle, or a Pear Logo on a laptop instead of an Apple, or social media called Facespace or something - knock me right out of the story.
Dom834
Roadhouse Member

Post by Dom834 »

None of this feels to me like product placement, and if I had any doubt about that, Janey-E's anti Ford rant absolutely convinced me.

This is Lynch absolutely ignoring TV conventions, and Showtime letting him do it. It's become world where lawyers get afraid of their shadow and productions try to money everything, often with absurd results (a few years ago I made excellent money having to remove from dozens of shots products from a competitor of the company that had bought product placement on a show. The producers had not realized this when filming. It cost them a lot.).

What we're seeing is Lynch saying "to hell with that". I'll show real logos if I feel like it, I'll speak of real brands if I feel like it and if anyone's not happy let them sue us. Nobody will - they'd be a laughingstock if they did.

The evidence is all over the 7 parts. We've seen several competing brands of cars, both Apple and branded PC devices, etc. This would never happen if the show did any product placement. You can't ask Skype for money to be featured, yet show an i-Phone prominently for free in another scene, or a Blackberry if you ask Apple for money. A company also won't buy placement on a show where the product of their competitor is demolished by a character.

The other reason why there isn't any product placement on The Return is that those aren't bought "blind". The company gets to approve when and how their product is used. Does anyone imagine David Lynch agreeing to show the script of the scenes in which a Mercedes or Skype is used? I don't.
Skip Bittman
Roadhouse Member

Post by Skip Bittman »

Great to hear from somebody who understands how product placement works instead of just perpetuating the usual cynicism about marketing. Not that people SHOULDN'T be cynical about the horrors of marketing, but some of the presumptions on this thread are just not how it works in the industry.
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

I find this distracting:
fakehighlife.JPG
fakehighlife.JPG (10.24 KiB) Viewed 10098 times
Just give me a Miller already. Or PBR, or Heinekin.

The only thing I like about the fake beer ads at the roadhouse is that it is consistent with seasons 1 and 2. That makes me smile.
tlk

Post by tlk »

Abraham ***Lincoln***
Takes PP to another level :wink:
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Total fucking bullshit