The Roadhouse scenes performances (SPOILERS)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: The Roadhouse scenes performances (SPOILERS)

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

pinballmars wrote:The Sharon Van Etten song I find moving because, though I know it's a few years old, it almost seems to be from Cooper's point of view ("I can't remember, I can't recall, no, I can't recall anything at all").
I posted this in the Part 6 thread, but maybe it's more appropriate here:

Sharon van Etten's song has some interesting ties to the plot: "Slow it was seven / I wish it was seven all night" (seven is a lucky number of Lynch's and a recurring theme; see Lucky Seven Insurance).

Even more intriguing: "Send in the owl / Tell me I'm not a child." :shock: Possibly hinting at DougieCoop's awakening?
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

So the "original soundtrack" has been updated with Badalamenti's "The Chair," but the "Music from..." album hasn't been updated with the Hudson Mohawke song (as far as I can tell, the first song to make its world debut on the show) or "A Violent Yet Flammable World" (IMO a vastly better song than "Lark"). I guess these won't be on the album? Wonder if Mohawke's "Human" will get a single release.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:So the "original soundtrack" has been updated with Badalamenti's "The Chair," but the "Music from..." album hasn't been updated with the Hudson Mohawke song (as far as I can tell, the first song to make its world debut on the show) or "A Violent Yet Flammable World" (IMO a vastly better song than "Lark"). I guess these won't be on the album? Wonder if Mohawke's "Human" will get a single release.
The bands have been a real mixed bag for me. Nothing coming close to Julee Cruise. Hope she does something new when she appears.

The Cromatics song was ok. I Loved the Trouble track. I really liked the 2nd Au revoir Simone song (from ep 9), and agree its much stronger than their first track (in ep 4).

I'd likely never listen to the NIN track outside of the episode. Even IN the episode its a bit of a chore to sit thru, but I'm warming a bit to it. I hated the Hudson Mohawke "song".
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

I like the "looseness" of having a near-weekly musical guest more than I like the performances themselves. On re-listens, the Chromatics music (not the vocal, which I didn't like much) was good, and pretty Lynchian. The NIN performance I liked more on a second viewing, especially how it bisects the Mr. Cooper shooting and fades into him sitting up all bloody and fucked up. His leathered, older rock star-ish look works with the NIN feel. If they do a second performance, hopefully it's a better song.

I like the keyboard work of Au Revoir Simone, and the girls are cute, but I don't like their vocals. All the others I couldn't stand.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

IcedOver wrote:I like the "looseness" of having a near-weekly musical guest more than I like the performances themselves.
I like it, too, more than at the beginning, nevertheless I've come to appreciate the performances themselves a lot as well. Last time I posted here was after Ep.7's floor sweeping scene when we had sounds of something like a band practising. Since then there has been the big star (and the only artist I had been aware of so far), Nine Inch Nails, and the first band that comes for the second time, Au Revoir Simone, plus a moment of Hudson Mohawke but that was hardly an independent performance in the episode.

i have to say I enjoyed both a lot. But let me stick to the formula I started in the opening post. Just a quick reminder of how I rated so far:
BOB1 wrote:end of Part 2 - James/ Shelly - the band is called: Chromatics * * * * 1/2

end of Part 3 - The Cactus Blossoms * * *

end of Part 4 - Au revoir Simone * * *

end of Part 5 - no smoking - Trouble * * * * * !

end of Part 6 - Sharon van Etten * *

end of Part 7 - floor sweeping - name of band...??? * * * 1/2
So:

not-the-end of Part 8 - Nine Inch Nails * * * * 1/4

Of course the fact that I'm a huge fan of some of NIN's music does matter. I can feel the thrill of an announcement saying "... proudly presents The Nine Inch Nails!" and I'm there and I'm just WOW!! The song itself, however, was slightly disappointing. I appreciate the performance, the passion (OK, Trent's lip-syncing was not particularly successful but that's the kind of detail I don't care much about) but the songwriting might be better resulting in a more memorable song. Still, what I do like a lot about this scene has been well put in a post above:
IcedOver wrote:The NIN performance (...) how it bisects the Mr. Cooper shooting and fades into him sitting up all bloody and fucked up. His leathered, older rock star-ish look works with the NIN feel.
Yes, this scene felt perfectly placed, that's one thing I can say, and that's the extra fraction at the end of the stars ;-)

end of Part 9 - Hudson Mohawke/ the rash/ Au revoir Simone #2 * * * * 1/2

This is definitely one of my favourites and not sure if not my favourite scene from the whole Pt 9. It starts iconically, the shoe-in-the-puddle, then the lone guy struggles with his synthesizer and that's just a mood-setter (don't like the tune itself at all but it does set the mood for me in a very good way). Then these two... who are they anyway?! They're god awful!! And this arm pit rash grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr I just couldn't stand it. Physically found it impossible to endure like many people cringe when they hear the chalk on the blackboard. That was much worse, though!
Perhaps this is partly why the song struck me as really beautiful. I already said before that I don't really know why I liked the first one, too. It's not my kind of music at all. I should have been like this:
Hercousin wrote:Sharon Van Etten and Au Revoir Simone, though...might be the only feelings of intense dislike I've ever experienced watching anything Lynch. Generic, twee Brooklyn hipsters and an ersatz Patti Smith. Feel free to school me but that's everything about music I hate.
... but I just wasn't. And here I liked it even more.
Last edited by BOB1 on Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

BOB1 wrote:Last time I posted here was after Ep.7's floor sweeping scene when we had sounds of something like a band practising.
That wasn't intended to be a band practicing, but was just a soundtrack usage of an old 1962 instrumental tune called "Green Onions". I actually don't like that song, which made that scene more painful than the sweeping.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
Hercousin
Roadhouse Member

Post by Hercousin »

BOB1 wrote: ... but I just wasn't. And here I liked it even more.
That's really funny because I kinda liked their song in Part 9, too, and it sort of pisses me off that I find myself humming it lately. Well played, insidious hipsters, well played.
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

:)

One more thing I wanted to write about these two latest performances: I liked the way the light was used very much. The soft purple light matched the three girls and their soft purple music a lot... And the flickering, PinkRoom-like light went great with the neurotic, disturbing Nine Inch Nails song.

IcedOver wrote:
BOB1 wrote:Last time I posted here was after Ep.7's floor sweeping scene when we had sounds of something like a band practising.
That wasn't intended to be a band practicing, but was just a soundtrack usage of an old 1962 instrumental tune called "Green Onions". I actually don't like that song, which made that scene more painful than the sweeping.
Yeah, I remember someone posting it before. I accept it although without background information I would still think it a band rehearsal. Doesn't matter much to me - I liked the music very much, which made that scene even less painful as I liked the sweeping, too :)
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
Hercousin
Roadhouse Member

Post by Hercousin »

Rebekah del Rio is the one.
Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

Hercousin wrote:Rebekah del Rio is the one.
Yes. That was awesome.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Hercousin wrote:Rebekah del Rio is the one.
Yup, amazing. And Moby was the guitarist.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

end of Part 10 - Rebekah del Rio * * 1/2

This time I'm not very satisfied. The scene was too long, the song wasn't too good. The lady has a great voice, of course, but to be honest I think she overused it in a few places (or was it the infamous "autotune", which I don't know what it is, pardon my ignorance?) and the song didn't thrill me at all, either. Even though it's a kind of music I like much more than for example Au revoir Simone, it didn't play well in me. And once again, it was too long, without any context. Last week I thought Roadhouse was perhaps the best scene of the episode, this time not at all for me.
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
Hercousin
Roadhouse Member

Post by Hercousin »

I've read a lot of negative reviews of Rebekah's Roadhouse performance mainly related to the autotuning, which I didn't notice and am not qualified to speak about. Is it the sort of metallic background noise?

I was initially extremely annoyed and anxious, since I wanted more plot and we never know whether maybe more stuff will happen with the story or whether the song itself is it. In this case, I sat through it and just felt my feelings and eventually found myself in tears.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

So is "No Stars" Del Rio's only post-MD musical studio collaboration with DKL? I thought I'd hunted down all of DKL's musical endeavors, even the weird obscure ones, but I'm embarrassed to say I didn't know this track existed.
The Gazebo
RR Diner Member

Post by The Gazebo »

The song was allright and that, but her voice was too loud in the final mix. Painful when you're using headphones, if you also want to hear the music itself.