General Discussion on Season 3 (All Opinions Welcome)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Re: General Discussion on the New Series (All Opinions Welcome)

Post by N. Needleman »

Nah and nah.

Signed,
N. Needleman
President/Charter Member of Freddie Sykes Fan Club
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I took that as meaning that the green glove originated as a separate/original idea/character for Nance, not that Pete Martell would have worn the glove. I’ve always thought it was a shame that Nance never had another lead role in DKL’s films post-Eraserhead (other than TP he only had bit parts).
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Maybe you can find some solace in considering it was more the Giant who defeated BOB? Freddie was more of a tool, like the glove itself.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Poiuyt
Roadhouse Member

Post by Poiuyt »

I wonder if Freddie's clothing being so similar to Pete's was intentional, or just one of those happy accidents for Lynch (like the atomic bomb in Eraserhead).
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

“I had the green-glove idea from long ago and originally Jack Nance was going to wear it, and that would’ve been a whole different thing.”

Just as long as it wouldn’t have been for a green glove spanking video. :lol:

(If you don't know, you probably shouldn't ask.)
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Jasper wrote:""
LOL you make me google things I shouldn't.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Mr. Jackpots
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Jackpots »

Rigpa wrote:Just heard a short interview on NPR with David Lynch. After talking a bit about the new book Room To Dream, the interviewer asked him about his meditation practice. Lynch spoke about how with the meditation technique stress, anxieties, tensions, sadness, depression, hate, rage, need for revenge, and fear start to automatically lift away. So why, the interviewer asks, are his movies are so dark? His answer was an artist doesn’t have to suffer to show suffering. I understand that, but what I would have asked instead was why does he choose to give the world portrayals of suffering instead of joy? This is what so bewildered me about season 3. At this point in my life, with the world so full of pain and suffering and craziness, I don’t need to add to my consciousness, through the art I choose to experience, more suffering. I was knocked down for several days after watching part 18. So bleak and hopeless…Why not spread around calm, peace, happiness, love instead? At least a better balance of light and dark. There is still much I enjoy and admire in Lynch’s work. And I did re-watch parts 1-17—but I will never watch part 18 again. I’ll go re-watch Call Me By Your Name instead.
I thought the balance of light and dark in season 3 was spot on. So much humour and lightheartedness in the Series. Dr. AMP, "it's not about the bunnies", Mrs. Truman, Candy, Cherry Pie, Dougie Jones our protagonist was a total laugh riot from beginning to end. Etc.

I think the lack of music created a mood that was not as colourful as in the original. A darker mood perhaps.

The sound design was spectacular in its own right though.
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

I wish I'd picked up on the light-heartedness in season 3 or that Dougie was just non-stop hilarity. He wasn't exactly the Marx Bros. Dougie was very melancholy.

The whole season was damn bleak and that's what Lynch and Frost made it for a reason. Its just that they won't tell us why yet.
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

NormoftheAndes wrote:I wish I'd picked up on the light-heartedness in season 3 or that Dougie was just non-stop hilarity. He wasn't exactly the Marx Bros. Dougie was very melancholy.

The whole season was damn bleak and that's what Lynch and Frost made it for a reason. Its just that they won't tell us why yet.
It baffles me that people consider the Dougie arc pure comic relief. I agree with you that there was a lot of melancholy there, but there was also a ton of joy in that arc (Frank and his green tea latte, the Santino’s scene, postcoitus with Janey-E, placing the potato chip on Sonny Jim’s bed, &c.). And there was undeniably comedy as well (whether you found it worked successfully is another story): Dougie holding his pee, wearing his tie on his head, getting bonked with a baseball. For me, a lot of the Dougie material sat in a grey area between joy, melancholy and comedy, and I could see an argument for each interpretation. I definitely would not categorize any of the Dougie material as “bleak,” though.
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
NormoftheAndes wrote:I wish I'd picked up on the light-heartedness in season 3 or that Dougie was just non-stop hilarity. He wasn't exactly the Marx Bros. Dougie was very melancholy.

It baffles me that people consider the Dougie arc pure comic relief. I agree with you that there was a lot of melancholy there, but there was also a ton of joy in that arc (Frank and his green tea latte, the Santino’s scene, postcoitus with Janey-E, placing the potato chip on Sonny Jim’s bed, &c.). And there was undeniably comedy as well (whether you found it worked successfully is another story): Dougie holding his pee, wearing his tie on his head, getting bonked with a baseball. For me, a lot of the Dougie material sat in a grey area between joy, melancholy and comedy, and I could see an argument for each interpretation. I definitely would not categorize any of the Dougie material as “bleak,” though.
I just found the choice of location (Rancho Rosa) to be deliberately bleak. You didn't find the 119 scenes to be very dark? A lot of the houses looked like they were empty as well in Dougie's street - how else could you describe that but bleak? The 119 scenes and Jade were my favourite parts of everything in Vegas and despite any amusing aspects it painted a dark picture of Rancho Rosa life to me.

I am unsure where you find JOY from a potato chip on Sonny Jim's bed-clothes? Again, another melancholy moment that depicted a detachment between Dougie and his son. Yes it was mildly amusing but not a laugh riot. To suggest you found joy in that scene is just Lynch avid fans going nuts for anything Lynch produces.
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

The Rancho Rosa setting is bleak, but when I think of the Dougie storyline over fourteen or so Parts, Rancho Rosa is just one small piece of it, even though that’s where it began. Dougie’s own neighborhood looked perfectly affluent to me.

I didn’t interpret the potato chip as showing detachment between father and son, I saw it as a sweet offering that Sonny Jim appreciated. Kids do stuff like that. I think from the “thumbs-up” scene on, we see Dougie and Sonny Jim connect more than Dougie connects with anyone else because they share a sense of childish wonderment/amusement. Having a different gut reaction to one moment than you do doesn’t make me an apologist. I’m not even sure what you’re getting at; if I found the scene melancholy (as I do many other Dougie scenes), it wouldn’t necessarily make me love it any more or less or make Lynch any more or less brilliant. It would just evoke a different emotion.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I think a lot of Vegas is about how the purest attributes of Cooper - through "Dougie" - bring out the best in a troubled world and people around him. It changes to accommodate him, not vice versa.

Unfortunately, when Cooper fully regrows into his skin and adult self, he is still prone to the same adult neuroses and flaws that led him afield long ago.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Poiuyt
Roadhouse Member

Post by Poiuyt »

Was Rancho Rosa not Dougie's neighorbood? I honestly thought they were the same place
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Poiuyt wrote:Was Rancho Rosa not Dougie's neighorbood? I honestly thought they were the same place
It's a little confusing, as the neighborhoods look similar, but as I understand it, Rancho Rosa is the neighborhood where Jade and Dougie 1.0 have their tryst across from the home of the drugged-out 119 mother and her son. It wouldn't make sense for Dougie 1.0 to park his car at a house in his own neighborhood and enter and exit there with a prostitute.
Poiuyt
Roadhouse Member

Post by Poiuyt »

Jasper wrote:
Poiuyt wrote:Was Rancho Rosa not Dougie's neighorbood? I honestly thought they were the same place
It's a little confusing, as the neighborhoods look similar, but as I understand it, Rancho Rosa is the neighborhood where Jade and Dougie 1.0 have their tryst across from the home of the drugged-out 119 mother and her son. It wouldn't make sense for Dougie 1.0 to park his car at a house in his own neighborhood and enter and exit there with a prostitute.
Yep, you're right. Wow. This will make me think about things differently