Meaning And Ending Of Season 3 - My Opinion (Spoilers)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Low Entropy
Roadhouse Member

Meaning And Ending Of Season 3 - My Opinion (Spoilers)

Post by Low Entropy »

When I saw one of the Showtime trailers that showed new scenes for the first time, I had the impression that the whole of season 3 was already contained and revealed in that trailer. Then when watching the first episodes, I felt confirmed in that opinion.
I'm talking about the scene in the trailer in which Cooper emerges from darkness (walking towards the camera). That's the situation Cooper finds himself in - he is literally "in the dark", without his knowledge, his personality, his intellect, almost everything about him, and has to slowly walk, almost crawl back into the "light" - getting back to himself and his self and awareness of himself and the world around him.
But there is more to it. Basically, this is the situation every human has to face. To walk through life to slowly get back to one's self, to get knowledge of oneself, to be in tune with one's true personality. We feel stuck in this confusing world until we have achieved this - and some people never achieve this. I think this is what Lynch is hinting at, because we can find similiar themes in other works of him, tales about people who are very far away from their own selves and a healthy state of mind - Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive, Inland Empire...
That's the one goal of human life - to get in contact with your own true self.
I find the Dougie scenes sometimes hard to watch, a test on my patience - because they are very "close to home", so to say. They show a real deep sense of alienation, in office workplaces, in suburban enviroments, and that "Dougie Cooper" is helpless and stuck is a good metaphor for that - just as the old Twin Peaks showed the dark sides of smalltown life. It relates to our own struggles and confusion in life.
In the end it's a good thing we can't see every episode at once and that things happen at a slow pace, because this shows Cooper's real struggle to get back to himself, which is not a quick and easy thing.
So, I think the ending will undoubtly be that Cooper get's "back home", is finally himself once more. Maybe he "saves" Laura too during this slow walk back. It's really just about stepping out of the dark.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Re: Meaning And Ending Of Season 3 - My Opinion (Spoiler)

Post by Jonah »

Low Entropy wrote:When I saw one of the Showtime trailers that showed new scenes for the first time, I had the impression that the whole of season 3 was already contained and revealed in that trailer. Then when watching the first episodes, I felt confirmed in that opinion.
I'm talking about the scene in the trailer in which Cooper emerges from darkness (walking towards the camera). That's the situation Cooper finds himself in - he is literally "in the dark", without his knowledge, his personality, his intellect, almost everything about him, and has to slowly walk, almost crawl back into the "light" - getting back to himself and his self and awareness of himself and the world around him.
But there is more to it. Basically, this is the situation every human has to face. To walk through life to slowly get back to one's self, to get knowledge of oneself, to be in tune with one's true personality. We feel stuck in this confusing world until we have achieved this - and some people never achieve this. I think this is what Lynch is hinting at, because we can find similiar themes in other works of him, tales about people who are very far away from their own selves and a healthy state of mind - Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive, Inland Empire...
I find the Dougie scenes sometimes hard to watch, a test on my patience - because they are very "close to home", so to say. They show a real deep sense of alienation, in office workplaces, in suburban enviroments, and that "Dougie Cooper" is helpless and stuck is a good metaphor for that - just as the old Twin Peaks showed the dark sides of smalltown life. It relates to our own struggles and confusion in life.
In the end it's a good thing we can't see every episode at once and that things happen at a slow pace, because this shows Cooper's real struggle to get back to himself, which is not a quick and easy thing.
So, I think the ending will undoubtly be that Cooper get's "back home", is finally himself once more. Maybe he "saves" Laura too during this slow walk back. It's really just about stepping out of the dark.
Love this.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

Low Entropy wrote:When I saw one of the Showtime trailers that showed new scenes for the first time, I had the impression that the whole of season 3 was already contained and revealed in that trailer. Then when watching the first episodes, I felt confirmed in that opinion.
Great post.
Also, DougieCoop's theme title is "Windswept" (by Johnny Jewel), which is quite appropriate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

Yes- that is the path to enlightenment.

I've been researching the esoteric symbolism we've seen so far and am coming to the same conclusions

Wasn't sure where I could add this, it's a bit out there, but poking around Theosophical resource, including a page that talked about Mysticism in devout Theosophist L Frank Baum's Oz universe the idea of the mayavik or ego. The ego is the wizard that tricks us into thinking it's capable of the impossible. Self-deception and other trickery ensures no one is who them seem or think themselves to be.

HOME and SHADOW SELF: Kansas and Oz are permanent reality vs fluctuation illusion. First Dorothy wants to escape from Oz, in later books the value reversal has Oz as her home. Theosophy says the ego is reflected consciousness that recognizes it is a mayavik or shadow self. One ego aspires upward and is the reincarnating ego, one is astral-human ego that is earthbound (the so-called "silver thread.")

SEVEN SOULS- MULTIPLE TWIN SELVES FROM ONE ENERGY SOURCE- DOUGIE'S POWERS:

http://humanityhealing.net/2011/07/the- ... tulkism-i/

The word tulku literally means “a form created by magic process”. These are mysterious beings that, from time to time, emerge onto the surface of the Earth in order to transform it.

According to the Tibetan mystics, the tulkus are emanations, projection or vehicles “fabricated” by a highly developed mind, to fulfill orders and service; acting as a living ‘statue’ and equipped with an extraordinary quality of intelligence with advanced spiritual and physical DNA. The living Buddha is a tulku, or a mayavic shadow projected by a Buddha. The Dalai Lama is an incarnated disciple.
There are many difficulties in the clear understanding of Tulkism. The tulkus are “soul extensions”, usually seven in the number, which sprang from the same individual source, or repository, of all the experiences acquired. All these “personalities” are interconnected and together they are joined to a Major Being as a central consciousness center.
The “horizontal tulkus” are beings that belong mainly to the physical realm and their bodies are specially prepared to hold higher vibrations that will pulsate in them, whether occasionally or permanently.
The horizontal tulkus are a tangible double of a living person, a look alike, as if they were twin brothers and sisters, including the fact that they tend to present almost the same psychic and emotional characteristics of maternal twins.
They usually present life purposes related to the evolution of the human beings, when related to their immediate environment. They can have jurisdiction over various sectors of society and their activities in the physical plane can vary enormously in relation to a superior spiritual command, which inspires, expands and promotes human evolution.
The “vertical tulkus” belong to the Spiritual realms and they are continuously attached to the higher vibratory patterns of consciousness, whose the primary goal is to expand the quantum possibilities of the human conscious mind. They usually do not interfere on the physical plane, maintaining their primary focus of action in the inspiration for noble action and revelations.

https://www.theosophical.org/42-publica ... -sufi-view
Too Old to Die Young > TP S03
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Re: Meaning And Ending Of Season 3 - My Opinion (Spoilers)

Post by sylvia_north »

Instead of an emnation from a specific lama, it's from a specific being. Trying to figure this stuff ^^ out made my head hurt. Still patting myself on the back tho!!!!

Tul- prefix is the "energy seed" Tulpa (sprul pa) can be broken down into two pieces: tul, and pa. Pa is just a suffix that terms a verb into a person (agentive particle). So for instance I perform the ritual chöd, so I’m called a chödpa, and someone who transmits a lung (rlung) in this case meaning the “energy seed” of a text to simplify it) is a lungpa. Tul means basically created, incarnated, emanated. So it really just means an emanated person or emanation.

Now it gets a bit confusing because it linked with the term Tulku (sprul sku), ku (sku) meaning body, so emanated body. This term gets used in relationship to a Tibetan Lama who is recognized as a reincarnation of a specific high lama, they are an “emanated body” of that lama. The reason this gets confusing is an older term for Tulku was tulpaku, the person who has emanated their body-
from Tulpa Not What You Think
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

I'm going to quote from something I'm reading right now, which I think may go some way towards expressing how I feel this season will play out. When I say play out, I mean that in a holistic, musical sense: I'm talking about the structure of the season, not just its destination.
[The] idea, [Lynch] claimed, simply comes to a creator unannounced. The creator... must at all costs be 'true' to this idea, whatever it may be. Though the idea might be irreducibly strange, it still contains 'clues' to its meaning. The 'clues', Lynch concluded, are among the most beautiful parts of a riddling film. They are beautiful because all of us are 'detectives'. 'We mull things over', Lynch stated, 'and we figure things out. We're always working in this way. People's minds hold things and form conclusions with indications.' Lynch likened this hermeneutical activity to the way people understand music. After the music starts, a theme suggests itself. This theme disappears, but when it again returns, 'it's so much greater than what's gone before.'[1]
While some of the material Wilson is citing here also appears in Lynch on Lynch, and incorporates an interview that was focused on MD rather than TP, I think that the rubric of disappearance and return has some bearing on what we're seeing and ultimately the whole shape of this thing. It's not just that Coop (as we know him) has gone, and will at some point presumably return in some form (not necessarily the same form). It's that all the thematics of Twin Peaks, Coop included, had already been laid down in series 1 and 2. That was one symphonic 'movement', to use the musical terminology. Rather than simply continue those thematics, season 3 has been, and probably will continue to be right up until the end, a very different movement: if anything it has been about the evaporation or disappearance of the original atmosphere. Only now (at episode 14 at time of writing) are we beginning to sense that something like a reprise is on its way. Tantalising notes, little miniature variations on the old theme were at times dropped in, but it still has not been resumed as such. Nonetheless the movement 1 -> movement 2 / elaboration -> movement 1 recapitulation structure from musical theory could hold weight. Lynch and Frost could well have organised this season to work as a large scale discord->harmony cadence, a Return in all senses of the word. If so I would predict a triumphal reprise, a proper blow-out that celebrates 'all things Twin Peaks' for the climax.

A word of caution. If the idea that the reappearance/recapitulation is always 'greater than what's gone before' then this means that it won't be on the same level: you can't step into the same river twice. Heraclitus and Lynch both know that, maybe Frost too. There may be an attempt to up-the-ante as if were, to outtwinpeaks Twin Peaks. Or it may just be that our same old northwestern town gets represented on a higher level of the spiritual spiral. But generally I think the whole thing is going to be like a celebration. I doubt that will mean a theme-park; I'm thinking more along the lines of Inland Empire's lively closing roster of players. Perhaps with far less finality -- I think the circle/spiral has to appear to continue, whether it will or not in real terms of future writing.

With all that has been written on the theme of a journey up the mountain to find the true core of the human spirit, I think ultimately 'chopping wood, carrying water' will be the only real meaning. The prodigal son, etc. There is no treasure at the end of the rainbow -- the treasure is the rainbow. Sometime I hate these pithy 1990s new-agey nuggets (as you can tell from my pat characterisations), but it seems to me to be the most likely take-away given Lynch's inclinations. Frost, on the other hand, is perhaps a bit more literary and esoteric, and could well manage to shoehorn in a more authentic philosophical-metaphysical lesson. Perhaps together Lynch and Frost will combine both Sufi passion and Gnostic nous to pull off something no-one could have predicted, a genuine Event -- capital E -- of art. I guess we'll have to wait and see how far the finale allows us to transcend ourselves back to ourselves.

[1] Wilson G Eric (2007) The Strange World of David Lynch: Transcendental Irony from Eraserhead to Mulholland Dr., Continuum, London, p.137
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

Novalis wrote: Perhaps together Lynch and Frost will combine both Sufi passion and Gnostic nous to pull off something no-one could have predicted, a genuine Event -- capital E -- of art. I guess we'll have to wait and see how far the finale allows us to transcend ourselves back to ourselves.
The audience is the dreamer who dreams then lives inside the dream (Dorothy.)