ROLLING POLL! Your ongoing reaction to the first half of The Return, parts 1-9 (SPOILERS)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Which option best describes your overall reaction, based upon all parts released to date?

Poll ended at Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:23 pm

Like or Love
86%
Heavily Mixed, Leaning Towards Like
9%
Heavily Mixed, Leaning Towards Dislike
3%
Dislike or Hate
2%

Total votes: 198
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

ROLLING POLL! Your ongoing reaction to the first half of The Return, parts 1-9 (SPOILERS)

Post by Jasper »

This is an ongoing poll covering the first half of The Return, for those who are up-to-date with all of the episodes that have been released at their time(s) of voting. Your vote will be editable in the event that the release of one or more new episodes changes your overall reaction.

The poll will remain open, and votes will remain editable, until the release of part 10, at which point voting will be locked.

The previous poll, which was exclusively about parts 1-4, can be found here:
http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3552
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Re: ROLLING POLL! Your ongoing reaction to the first half of The Return, parts 1-9 (SPOILERS)

Post by mtwentz »

Still really love it, but Ep. 5 I felt was a slight dip in quality, and I feel when all is said and done there will be many fan cuts in the future that will throw it entire scenes and maybe even entire storylines if they do not lead anywhere. But the main storyline has me as enthralled as ever.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
QuantumMechanic

Re: ROLLING POLL! Your ongoing reaction to the first half of The Return, parts 1-9 (SPOILERS)

Post by QuantumMechanic »

Would like two more poll options -- "Overall like, but mixed" and "Overall dislike, but mixed".

"Heavily mixed" to me implies a state where one is very torn about the show and has only a slight, and perhaps confused, preference toward like or dislike.

For me anyway, I can clearly say I like it (so "heavily mixed" doesn't work for me), but I do have non-trivial misgivings about a number of things. So "Like/Love" seems wrong, too.
That gum you like is going to come back in style.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

mtwentz wrote:Still really love it, but Ep. 5 I felt was a slight dip in quality, and I feel when all is said and done there will be many fan cuts in the future that will throw it entire scenes and maybe even entire storylines if they do not lead anywhere. But the main storyline has me as enthralled as ever.
Well, let's just see where all these characters and storylines lead up to, before we jump into any conclusions. Not every subplot need to be tied to the main storyline.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

QuantumMechanic wrote:Would like two more poll options -- "Overall like, but mixed" and "Overall dislike, but mixed".

"Heavily mixed" to me implies a state where one is very torn about the show and has only a slight, and perhaps confused, preference toward like or dislike.

For me anyway, I can clearly say I like it (so "heavily mixed" doesn't work for me), but I do have non-trivial misgivings about a number of things. So "Like/Love" seems wrong, too.
I understand, but this poll is designed to be fair and symmetrical, and to force people to choose between four roughly equal sections. This is also the reason there is no "neutral" option. The goal is obtain clear, broad results, rather than scattered hyper-specific results.

I'd say that you might ask yourself if you'd rate it a 75 or above on a scale of 100. To my thinking, that would be in the Like/Love section. Like/Love is an umbrella. It doesn't imply that you BOTH like and love it, and it definitely doesn't imply that you think it's perfect. Personally I love it, but I am not without my own criticisms.
Jatriot
Roadhouse Member

Post by Jatriot »

Naturally contingent on the evolution of the Series / Season or event. What are most of you calling it? Anyhow S3E5 was brilliant Unable to think beyond each episode, just like it's days on ABC. So far, just to play the game, I prefer it to originalTwin Peaks except S1-E2. As well as the 1st act of FWWM.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk
Jatriot
Roadhouse Member

Post by Jatriot »

Really? I thought it was so well rounded. Plus new Lynch / Angelo for the first time. I still can't shake the closing shot of Coop. Very Wender's Paris, Texas utterly alone and lost in place & time vibe. FTR-So far episode 3 is my favorite. Man I almost forgot Re Jacob's epic streaming rant.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

I still love every bit of it!

However, it didn't do for me what the originals did for me a couple of years ago... yet. After seeing ep 29 and then FWWM I was completely overwhelmed, as if someone grabbed something that had been growing in the deepest part of my subconscious, turned it upside down and wiggled it around. It was only then the whole series started sinking in on me, as a whole. It's a good thing we're only at 5 out of 18 now. I still have very high hopes.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

Still heavily mixed, towards enjoying. Put it this way: I've watched each part multiple times and am genuinely looking forward to part six. Overall, it's not the show I'd hoped for, which is profoundly disappointing, but it's enjoyable and intriguing in the context of what it is.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Screenshot of this poll taken moments before the debut of Part 6:
TP_The_Return_voting_pts_1-5.jpg
TP_The_Return_voting_pts_1-5.jpg (91.68 KiB) Viewed 12183 times
EDIT: Adding text version as a backup:

Like or Love: 87% (97 votes)
Mixed, Towards Like: 9% (10 votes)
Mixed, Towards Dislike: 3% (3 votes)
Dislike or Hate: 2% (2 votes)

TOTAL VOTES: 112
Last edited by Jasper on Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

Generally I'm in favour so far, and very glad the return exists. I suppose it must be difficult to recreate the original sense of uncanniness that the old series (at its best) and FWWM was steeped in. Especially after so many years of us fans poring over and getting used to what were, at the time of original consumption, very indigestible scenes. You would think that this would, in a way, force Lynch to up-the-ante on the estrangement effects and the disturbed editing. Maybe it has and this accounts for why the 'mauve room' scene is for me the new red room, in terms of its effectiveness, while new red room scenes such as Gerard 'air fishing' for Cooper seem to fall flat, feeling overly mundane. All is change I guess.
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Loving it. Big surprise, I know. It astounds me every week. I didn't realize it would be this daring.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

This week really hacked me off. Better luck next week! :D
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

N. Needleman wrote:Loving it. Big surprise, I know. It astounds me every week. I didn't realize it would be this daring.
Right? From the Mauve Room to the child getting struck by a car on-screen (hard to watch)... this is stuff I've never seen before on TV.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Hmmm. I'm still heavily mixed. I want to say I'm enjoying it, but I'm just not. Which sucks. But don't want to say I'm leaning towards dislike yet. I'm still wanting to love it or like it more than I do. So will leave it as "heavily mixed" for now, like some moments, overall disappointed, sticking with it. I think it will get better - or, rather, I think I will like it more as the series progresses.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.