Annie Speculation (SPOILERS)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Leebob
Roadhouse Member

Re: Annie Speculation (SPOILERS)

Post by Leebob »

Here is my wild ass speculation re: Annie in Season 8:
The character of Annie will return, but she will be played by Sheryl Lee.
oldforce
Roadhouse Member

Post by oldforce »

Leebob wrote:Here is my wild ass speculation re: Annie in Season 8:
The character of Annie will return, but she will be played by Sheryl Lee.
I kind of like that. How about:

Annie is the Mother/Babylon.
Coffee
Roadhouse Member

Post by Coffee »

I like that theory too... Hmmmm, so she's been 'replaced' due to ??????'s meddling.
Framed_Angel
RR Diner Member

Post by Framed_Angel »

Hercousin wrote:I mean, Cooper only really talked about falling for Annie to Annie and Harry. Hawk's nonchalance and lack of follow up here seem pretty normal to me. The scene wasn't meant to fill us in on her, it was the revelation that the Cooper who came out wasn't the good Cooper.

On the other hand...........I still want to know how Annie is. It could go either way. She's not my Laura, but still. We know more about what Jerry Horne is up to these days. So far. And that seems weird. Is this a Heather Graham issue, or the demotion of a character no one liked?
Both your username and your "She's not my Laura" have prompted me to speculate on a theory that may go nowhere. I'm thinking of the absurdity of a "Miss Twin Peaks" contest, the winner voted on and not unlike a Prom Queen popularity contest. Like Laura got Homecoming status, we see Annie get crowned with a pageant title - - and the idea she'd had this mix of troubled past with innocent post-convent outlook on life, the impression she made on Cooper in S2 representing all kinds of purity and conflict, so that it was unclear (to me) whether she spelled trouble for Cooper or Cooper spelled trouble for her.

Top all that with how vague her interaction with Norma was, introduced as her sister but as others have mentioned, Norma in S2 didn't seem much invested in the direction her "sister"'s relationship was taking. Annie seemed more the product of having been away for those years, cloistered and as we then came to know her mainly through Cooper's eyes, reciting her speech to much glowing admiration from an audience but also when she & Cooper were standing earlier, in each other arms and she gave some spiel, looked away from him and recited it toward the camera and I felt she should be looking at him. Almost exaggerated in delivery like a projection of everything Cooper would consider in his perfect woman -- yet in fact just as "full of secrets" as LMFAP described Laura in the Red Room to Cooper during his dream.

"She is my cousin -- but doesn't she look just like Laura Palmer?" the LMFAP added. Annie is "Norma's sister" -- or is she? "Doesn't she look just like..." -- like who? If she embodied a projection of Cooper's, my answer would be he'd fallen for a duality of his lost Caroline, whom you recall appears in Annie's place at one point in the Red Room during the S2 finale~
Leebob
Roadhouse Member

Post by Leebob »

Coffee wrote:I like that theory too... Hmmmm, so she's been 'replaced' due to ??????'s meddling.
That's the gist of what got me thinking about this. Again, I think this is unlikely to happen, but what if the gold orb containing Laura's essence created by ??????? and sent to earth by his (spouse?) in ep8 becomes a new version of Annie - who according to like she was from another time and place.

Are there issues with this theory - yes, many. The timing does not seem to line up; the gold orb seemed to have been sent to earth in 1956, which is too early for Annie (or Laura or that matter) to make return.
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

I don't know if anyone has ever noticed this before or not, but in the Twin Peaks Access Guide, there is an odd reference to Annie. I don't have an image of this, but on the page describing various fishing baits, on the top right there is a bait titled simply "Annie". Also notable a few rows down, the "Black Palmer".

I know the whole "Annie was Lodge bait to lure in Coop" thing has been disproven (at least for now), but this would have been fun evidence towards that theory.
Last edited by Cappy on Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hercousin
Roadhouse Member

Post by Hercousin »

^Framed_Angel that was some really nice theorizing in response to my gossipy curiosity.

Annie definitely has secrets, whether we're going to find out her personal secrets or whether she is a doomed Eurydice archetype is something I'm looking forward to!
DamnFineCreamedCorn
Roadhouse Member

Post by DamnFineCreamedCorn »

Hi. First post, long-time Lynch/Twin Peaks fan, loving Season 3. Registered to post my speculation about Annie.

I've come to think Annie may be Janey-E, in something like a White Lodge witness protection program.

We now know that Annie lived and survived, but elements of her story have been rewritten. Why? Perhaps to save her from Mr C, and to save her for Cooper. Perhaps the rewriting goes even deeper, and she has become an entirely new character.

If/when Cooper awakes, what do we expect his relationship to be to Dougie's family? I don't expect he would simply abandon them, but there also needs to be a cord binding him to them. That could be Annie. (In fact, if I'm right about this, it wouldn't surprise me if Janey-E discovers her Annie within before we see Cooper restored.)

Why did Janey-E fall in love with, and stick with, a cheating, gambling shlub like Dougie? Subconsciously, she's always seen Cooper in him.

Casting Naomi Watts famously recalls the duality she played in Mulholland Drive.
Last edited by DamnFineCreamedCorn on Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
I've already gone places. I just want to stay where I am.
oldforce
Roadhouse Member

Post by oldforce »

DamnFineCreamedCorn wrote:Hi. First post, long-time Lynch/Twin Peaks fan, loving Season 3. Registered to post my speculation about Annie.

I've come to think Annie may be Janey-E, in something like a White Lodge witness protection program.

We now know that Annie lived and survived, but elements of her story have been rewritten. Why? Perhaps to save her from Mr C. Perhaps the rewriting goes even deeper, and she has become an entirely new character.

If/when Cooper awakes, what do we expect his relationship to be to Dougie's family? I don't expect he would simply abandon them, but there also needs to be a cord binding him to them. That could be Annie. (In fact, if I'm right about this, it wouldn't surprise me if Janey-E discovers her Annie within before we see Cooper restored.)

Why did Janey-E fall in love with, and stick with, a cheating, gambling shlub like Dougie? Subconsciously, she's always seen Cooper in him.

Casting Naomi Watts famously recalls the duality she played in Mulholland Drive.
Ok I'm on board.
vanderohe

Re: Annie Speculation (SPOILER

Post by vanderohe »

sry guys cant jump on the annie/janey-e train.

In ep20 annie quotes Werner Heisenberg. Since Heisenberg was (next to other great achievements) supervisor to "the father of the hydrogen bomb", the "annie is mother" theory feels muchmore fitting.
>>>>two and two do not always equal four >>>>
DamnFineCreamedCorn
Roadhouse Member

Re: Annie Speculation (SPOILER

Post by DamnFineCreamedCorn »

vanderohe wrote:sry guys cant jump on the annie/janey-e train.

In ep20 annie quotes Werner Heisenberg. Since Heisenberg was (next to other great achievements) supervisor to "the father of the hydrogen bomb", the "annie is mother" theory feels muchmore fitting.
But, if that were the case, why would Annie appear to Laura and provide such helpful information about Dale?

I think I'm riding the Annie/Janey-E train until proven wrong. But whatever is eventually revealed about Annie, I expect it will surprise me, and it will feel absolutely right.
I've already gone places. I just want to stay where I am.
Rigpa
Roadhouse Member

Post by Rigpa »

I’ve always assumed Annie died. In the last episode of Season 2, when Coop is in bed at the Great Northern with Harry and Doc nearby and Coop asks “How’s Annie?”, Harry and Doc exchange a concerned look. There’s a pause before they answer. To me, that look Harry and Doc give each other and the pause says they know Annie is gone, but Coop is too fragile to hear the truth. So it made sense to me that Heather Graham wasn’t asked to appear in Season 3. I’m not sure if she died of her injuries, or if Dopplecoop killed her, but I’m fairly sure she is an ex-Annie.
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

I guess while we're discussing different actresses playing the role of Annie, I'm going to guess Sherilyn Fenn. I'm not sure why, but this feels plausible. Both Audrey and Annie ended the original series hospitalized (Audrey in a coma, Annie in some sort of shock speaking to Laura about her diary), so I don't think a character swap between the two would be that crazy. Especially considering that Annie was more or less created to take Audrey's place as Coop's love interest.

Plus wasn't Sherilyn blonde for a while around 2015 or whenever filming took place?

Edit: Also, both characters have been conspicuously absent from Season 3 so far. Annie and Audrey's fates seem linked somehow.
asmahan
RR Diner Member

Post by asmahan »

Cappy wrote:
Plus wasn't Sherilyn blonde for a while around 2015 or whenever filming took place?

Edit: Also, both characters have been conspicuously absent from Season 3 so far. Annie and Audrey's fates seem linked somehow.
She posted a pic in her costume (same as in the EW shoot) and her hair was brown.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Cappy wrote:Plus wasn't Sherilyn blonde for a while around 2015 or whenever filming took place?
Nope. She was blonde when she was filming Shameless.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.