The Random Season 3 Thread

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Re: The Random Season 3 Thread (SPOILERS)

Post by Soolsma »

laughingpinecone wrote:CB's tweet got me teary-eyed
Right? Shivers. drawing is also cool, as always
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

93057933-FBED-4F3F-8530-B87590D9BDDA.jpeg
93057933-FBED-4F3F-8530-B87590D9BDDA.jpeg (258.61 KiB) Viewed 10741 times
From Chrysta’s AMA. What a beautiful sentiment, and a positive response to what often amounted to cyberbullying. I truly hope she means it. She seems like a lovely person.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

laughingpinecone wrote:Happy Twin Peaks Day! CB's tweet got me teary-eyed and I had to draw our Blue Rose poster boy&girl bonding over one of their favorite topics...
tumblr_p4oo4jPAsN1qic729o1_540.png
Per a request on the AMA, she has temporarily made her blog post on Ferrer publicly available. It’s pretty great (and includes a photo of an intense-looking Ferrer as a child, alongside mom Rosemary Clooney, looking ready to insult Harry!) https://chrystabell.com/how-working-wit ... ter-actor/

I am developing more and more respect for Bell as an artist and a human being — and I liked her to begin with! Interesting that she has read TSHoTP. I wish someone had asked whether she was offered the opportunity to read for the audiobook. No offense to Annie Wersching, but I actually find Bell’s delivery much more natural. And, truth be told, I find it mildly concerning that the audiobook has 12 male actors and only 2 female actors, and that male characters from the series are played by the existing actors in every case where the actor is still alive (with the exception of DKL, who obviously didn’t want to do it), but Norma, Audrey and Preston are all recast for the audiobook.
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
laughingpinecone wrote:Happy Twin Peaks Day! CB's tweet got me teary-eyed and I had to draw our Blue Rose poster boy&girl bonding over one of their favorite topics...
Per a request on the AMA, she has temporarily made her blog post on Ferrer publicly available. It’s pretty great (and includes a photo of an intense-looking Ferrer as a child, alongside mom Rosemary Clooney, looking ready to insult Harry!) https://chrystabell.com/how-working-wit ... ter-actor/

I am developing more and more respect for Bell as an artist and a human being — and I liked her to begin with! Interesting that she has read TSHoTP. I wish someone had asked whether she was offered the opportunity to read for the audiobook. No offense to Annie Wersching, but I actually find Bell’s delivery much more natural. And, truth be told, I find it mildly concerning that the audiobook has 12 male actors and only 2 female actors, and that male characters from the series are played by the existing actors in every case where the actor is still alive (with the exception of DKL, who obviously didn’t want to do it), but Norma, Audrey and Preston are all recast for the audiobook.
Same. I find CB's Tammy to be more layered and unique, someone who could write all the things that the character writes in the books but who isn't just that. On the contrary, I find that some of her traits complement what's in the books, that the two facets feed off each other to form a charming portrait,like her show social awkwardness + book tendency to infodump.
She is also, in DKL's words, a beautiful alien. And you gotta be a hot alien (and an accomplished musician) to be in Blue Rose, them's the rules, probably courtesy of the original hot alien Phillip Jeffries himself. Gotta be a little off to fit in. Wersching conveyed zero alien vibes...
The women of the audiobook are such a missed opportunity. Didn't Shiels do the other two? She has many talents but pulling off convincing Fenn or Coulson impersonations isn't one of them, and it's such a pity given how poignant both those sections are.
Back to CB, she was a delight in the AMA as I have always found her to be during her 'public relations' moments (like that live chat before the finale aired), I also find my admiration for her growing more and more from an already positive starting point :) I'd seen that paywalled blog post months ago and always planned to pony up the money for a month of subscription one of these days, to read that post first and foremost, and everything else while I was at it. Now that I've read the article, and it was as sweet as I could've hoped for, I still feel like subscribing, to support her and to read everything else...
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:

To those who doubt what I've been saying about linkage between The Return's fiction and reality, Chrysta Bell has this to say: "Don't get me started how the dynamics between the characters in Twin Peaks were so (seemingly mystically) aligned with the people playing the roles - to the degree my mouth hangs open when I think about it. Twin Peaks: The Return and practically everything about it hangs in cosmic alignment. I think this has everything to do with David being a meditator for more than 40 years. The veil is butterfly-wing-thin between art and reality."

That's to say that maybe not every single "glitch" or "cosmic alignment" was initially intended, but they're somehow there, and they somehow add up, and I think that's because of Lynch's method of tapping into a deeper ocean of possibilities. This is not just strictly related to the conflation of fiction and reality, but more to the idea that some artists are working on levels and forming associations that they might not even realize but which become a major part of the story and readings of the story. One thing that still blows my mind and is a perfect example of this deeper ocean is the thing with the Maersk crates that are plainly visible as Cooper/Richard pulls up to Judy's diner in Part 18. I can't remember which poster made this find, but the fact that the Maersk star was formed in dedication to the night that the founder prayed for his wife to pull through an illness, and named his boat after her - the SS Laura - is mind boggling. Do I think Lynch/Frost were conscious of this? I'd place my bet on this merely being a happy coincidence. Yet there the Maersk star is, obviously visible in the background of a scene in which Cooper is searching for Laura. Intended or not, that indefinitely adds something to the work. And I think Lynch is tapping into that sort of thing throughout.
chromereflectsimage
RR Diner Member

Post by chromereflectsimage »

Outside Carrie's Paige house, there are some nooses lying about. Not sure if this is a reference to the dead guy in her house, or the multitude of disembodied heads throughout the series, but there you go:

Also, inside the house, there looks to be a bed pan of some sort.

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I’ve written elsewhere about the fact that TP:TR can be viewed as engaging with the “puzzle box” genre in a manner similar to the original show’s use of soap opera tropes. I’m not sure if it was intentional, but the date of Cooper’s arrest is 9/22. 9/22/04 is the date Lost first aired, as well as the in-show date of the plane crash (i.e., the Lost equivalent of 2/24/89).
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Sorry, but if that is intentional I'll eat a hat and post pictures.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Soolsma wrote:Sorry, but if that is intentional I'll eat a hat and post pictures.
I pretty much agree. Definitely not intentional on DKL’s part, a slim possibility IMO that Mark may have slipped it in since he’s known to avidly follow television in general and mythology-based shows in particular. (It may also have just been a propmaker, since Mark seems to have set the events of the series in July, per TSHoTP.) But mostly it just tickled me given the statistical unlikelihood of that being one of the few dates we’re actually given onscreen.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

Soolsma wrote:Sorry, but if that is intentional I'll eat a hat and post pictures.
I am David Lynch (*). It was intentional.
Now post the pics.

(*) believe me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Xavi
RR Diner Member

Post by Xavi »

Is there one quote from Lynch (or DKL as you please) himself which confirms that he appreciated Lost?
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

Lynch never watched Lost - unless someone here can prove otherwise.
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I don’t think anyone here claimed that he did (except yaxomay in jest). I know I never did.

Sorry for derailing the thread. :oops:
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Haha, Mr. R, don't worry, that's what the random thread is for.

It does bring up an interesting question. Since Lynch has called television ''the new art house''. It makes one wonder which shows he did enjoy in this golden age of television.
Johnsusername
Roadhouse Member

Post by Johnsusername »

This is my first post on here in a while - probably since I finished the Return last year. In fact, I haven't consumed anything TP -related since i finished The Return.

Let me say first up that I LOVED The Return - probably even more than the original series, and close to how much I love FWWM/Missing Pieces.

But... watching The Return really took it out of me. Beforehand, i'd RE-watch the original series, rewatch FWWM, listen to podcasts, listen to the music not just from the series and FWWM but also other Lynch stuff and TP-related music like Chrysta Bell. I devoured Twin Peaks related media for many many years, and it never grew old on me.

Thing is I can't put my finger on it - it's not like The Return ruined TP for me. If anything it was the opposite - but for so many years having the same body (or bodies) of work, then suddenly there were 18 new episodes and all sorts happening and crazy theories I think I found it overwhelming. Even scanning through the forum now - so many theories and ideas about a million things - I guess you can think about these things too much.

I watched and then rewatched each episode of The Return - first time on TV, second time on laptop with headphones. The only time i didn't do this was for episodes 17 and 18. I think I was shellshocked (in a good way) by the ending for a long time. And since then I haven't gone back to TP at all.

I haven't really got a point to all this, except maybe did this happen to anyone else? I guess in a way it's having too much of a good thing. One cherry pie would be delicious! Two cherry pies would be nice, but maybe a little sickening. But 18 cherry pies?! Man, too much!

All that said - my wife and kids are away for a week next month and i'm seriously considering watch the FWWM extended cut, and then The Return. Still undecided. I can watch it with the lights off, and loud. Very loud.

Anyway, sorry for the long rambling post, but I have nowhere else to put it and it's something I've been chewing over for a while!