The Ben & Jerry scene (SPOILERS)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

claaa7
Great Northern Member

The Ben & Jerry scene (SPOILERS)

Post by claaa7 »

i've seen a lot of hate for this scene here but to me as soon as i saw Ben's office in the Great Northern and how close to his old self Ben look and acted with his secretary I had a huge smile..

and then when a psyched out hippie Jerry entered (a little jarring definitely) i thought their dialouge was hilarious.. a lot of "hip" people turn out that way in their later years, still living on past glory, thinking they are just as cool but are odd as hell to every one else and i loved his dialouge about the "mythical AK-47 on way from the Amsterdam express.. swimming around in his brain". when Ben criticizes him he says that he has a legally sanctioned business of his own that's making a lot of revenue. i wonder what the hell that is. i think that their banter was still remarkably similiar to the old series.

take note that this was one of the very first scenes of episodes 1 which is probably means it's going to be important in some way. especially since
Spoiler:
Cooper has his old Great Northern key which imo must mean that he will make his way back there
and we will see a lot more of The Great Northern and therefore Ben & Jerry..

now what the hell Jacoby is up to is another question (another one of the very first establishing scenes in The Return)
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Re: The Ben & Jerry scene

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

I thought it was a beautiful scene, and I doubt the New York reference isn't connected to our New York scenes.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Jerry is in the weed business, hence Ben's admonishment about a prophet eating his own profits.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

I found it ok, not the best scene in the universe of entertainment, not the worst. It will definitely be important later.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

I think it's a great scene for the following reasons: despite its brevity, it establishes interesting character changes in both Ben and Jerry while also hinting at plot possibilities. Ben has grown over time and become less of a lech, Jerry has become his own man, rather than just little Ben, and has his own business and seems very content. Ben seems more in control but not as content as Jerry. There's plot potential in him seeking a relationship with a married woman despite his growth.

And the Sock it to me line is just hilarious, as well as almost all of Jerry's dazed lyrical reflection.

Great writing. Probably Frost, too. Lynch tends to write more minimalistic dialogue.
Last edited by Wonderful & Strange on Sat May 27, 2017 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MasterMastermind
RR Diner Member

Post by MasterMastermind »

I loved it. Beymer and Kelly's chemistry is great as ever.
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

MasterMastermind wrote:I loved it. Beymer and Kelly's chemistry is great as ever.
Yep, I never tire of them together.
StrangerDanger
RR Diner Member

Post by StrangerDanger »

I thought that the point was to show how drugs have taken over Twin Peaks, even Jerry's into it, and he's increased the family's income. I'm guessing Twin Peaks has become a bit like Deer Meadow now.

Agree it's jarring to see how Ben and Jerry have changed. Still recognise Ben's mannerisms.
leeeET's ROCK!
[ I've permanently left the forum ... Dugpa is a dodgy name, plus l'm too busy. Keep the :?: :idea: ]
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

StrangerDanger wrote:I thought that the point was to show how drugs have taken over Twin Peaks, even Jerry's into it, and he's increased the family's income. I'm guessing Twin Peaks has become a bit like Deer Meadow now.
I assumed it was just a cute riff on how the world (and particularly Washington State law) has changed since the original show. Without getting too political hopefully, marijuana is a far cry from the massive amounts of cocaine that were coming through town in the original. I don't think the dialogue was meant to convey anything beyond showing another facet of Jer's decadence. (I'd bet that David Patrick Kelly's current real-life Grizzly Adams beard also called up some stereotypes and set Lynch/Frost's wheels spinning.)
StrangerDanger
RR Diner Member

Post by StrangerDanger »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:I assumed it was just a cute riff on how the world (and particularly Washington State law) has changed since the original show. Without getting too political hopefully, marijuana is a far cry from the massive amounts of cocaine that were coming through town in the original. I don't think the dialogue was meant to convey anything beyond showing another facet of Jer's decadence.
Ahhh okay thanks. Cannabis is kind of insidious though, imo (speaking from loooong experience hehe). Also, l thought Lynch disapproves of cannabis.
leeeET's ROCK!
[ I've permanently left the forum ... Dugpa is a dodgy name, plus l'm too busy. Keep the :?: :idea: ]
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

StrangerDanger wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:I assumed it was just a cute riff on how the world (and particularly Washington State law) has changed since the original show. Without getting too political hopefully, marijuana is a far cry from the massive amounts of cocaine that were coming through town in the original. I don't think the dialogue was meant to convey anything beyond showing another facet of Jer's decadence.
Ahhh okay. Cannabis is kind of insidious though, imo (speaking from loooong experience hehe). Also, l thought Lynch disproves of cannabis. Unsure what Frost thinks of it.
I know DKL feels it clouds creativity, but I don't know if he feels strongly about its legality. Btw, check out The Art Life for a hilarious story about stoned DKL at a Bob Dylan concert!
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Re: The Ben & Jerry scene (SPOILERS)

Post by Jerry Horne »

So Beverly is new eh? What's her story?
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

This scene looked to me as if it should work. The chemistry between the brothers - it's there. The dialogues themseleves - sound good. The idea of Ben still in hotel business while Jerry in the weed business - why not. I got a feeling that situated somewhere in the old Twin Peaks-like context it would work perfectly.

As it was, however, I felt it didn't work because it was so out of... out of anything actually. I'm not saying it didn't have any connection with other scenes in terms of action - that can obviously still get connected. But it just didn't fit to the other scenes in terms of anything. As someone put it in another thread, it felt like when you visit a place from your childhood and it feels so remote. Theoretically everything is there like it used to be, but it's simply not it.
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

The problem is that the scene turned up in part one and hasn't been followed up on since. Same goes for James and Shelly's scene.
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

That definitely is a problem. It's kind of discouraging in a way. Also, makes me wonder: are these only going to be cameo appearances from the old Twin Peaks characters? That would be too bad, huh? I think they're going to come back... But so far I don't see a point of showing something when it doesn't matter whatsoever.
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB