POLL! Your reaction to Twin Peaks: The Return, pts. 1 through 4 (SPOILERS)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Which option best describes your feelings after having seen the first four parts?

Poll ended at Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:02 pm

Like or Love
85%
Heavily Mixed, Leaning Towards Like
12%
Heavily Mixed, Leaning Towards Dislike
2%
Dislike or Hate
1%

Total votes: 313
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Re: POLL! Your reaction to Twin Peaks: The Return, pts. 1 through 4 (SPOILERS)

Post by underthefan »

Soolsma wrote:All the dislikes I have would only stem from comparison with the originals e.g. little music and slow pacing. I regard those irrelevant because if I wanted the old Peaks I should just watch the old Peaks.
I think that's exactly right. Those who think Lynch went back to Twin Peaks to fulfill their hopes and expectations have been watching the wrong show all along. I think this article puts it succinctly:

https://www.timeout.com/london/blog/the ... ies-052317
ozziejohn
Roadhouse Member

Post by ozziejohn »

I was initially a bit weirded out by how "un-Twin Peaksy" the new series is, but having rewatched all four episodes, it feels absolutely perfect. I feel like the weight of expectation makes the first forays into the new series very difficult...but I'm pretty sure the vocal naysayers will come round.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

I wanted season three to be just that. I like the new show in the same way that I liked Millennium season two, when I was a fan of season one of that show. If the show had started out that way, I'd have loved it, but it's simply not the show I signed up for. Quite simply, this show isn't Twin Peaks; it's a David Lynch show that features the town of Twin Peaks and related characters – it's a show I really like – but it isn't season three. It isn't Episode 30 or FWWM II. I remember predicting that the show would be as different from the original as FWWM was, but it's gone way further than I suspected. FWWM, for all the surface differences was still very definitely Twin Peaks.

This show is 'Lynchworld, guest starring characters from Twin Peaks.' That's no bad thing, but calling the show 'Twin Peaks' is disingenuous. This feels like a pre-retirement compilation of Lynch's career in all disciplines. So I'm heavily mixed, tending towards liking it... but liking it as a separate David Lynch fantasy TV show; not Twin Peaks. As a follow up to two seasons and FWWM, it's a complete failure for me.

As for the Time Out article, even after 17 years in London, the day I start taking notice of that metropolitan, metrosexual, yuppie mag is the day I'll grind my skull into a pencil, put a piece of rubber on the end and offer myself to Inspector Morse to help him with his crosswords!! ;)
pinballmars
Roadhouse Member

Post by pinballmars »

I can't get over how much I love it. I think it's amazing so far.
DirkG
RR Diner Member

Post by DirkG »

It's a mixed bag but no doubt it's the first alternative- It should been split btw, no reason to not separate 'like' and 'love' in a poll (even if it of course would have made it more difficult for me to answer).

I really like parts 1 and 2 and think they are more carefully edited than 3 and especially 4. The shift in quality worries me a tiny bit, it actually feels like to some extent 3 and (especially) 4 were a bit rushed even. There are still tons of things in them that I like of course and 3 I still consider very good. Despite it not having the same sense of careful attention as 1 and 2, it just have so many great scenes so the verdict must end up a quite high.

#1 9/10
#2 9/10
#3 8/10
#4 6/10
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

Aw, I hope the 7 of you (as it stands currently) come around at some point :-)

Me, I love it almost without reservation - I think I have fewer quibbles than with any piece of TP media since the movie.

Blazing controversial take: I also think that each hour so far has been well-structured as an hour of tv-as-such, with each having a distinct feel while feeling of a piece with the whole, and "woof"/coop in space + 1st roadhouse scene/"it's Cooper!"/"I know where she drinks" are all great buttons to end an episode on and fit the 2017 definition of a TV episode ending if not the 1990 one. The way people talk, though, you'd think each part ended midsentence.
master468
Roadhouse Member

Post by master468 »

Elad Repooc
Roadhouse Member

Post by Elad Repooc »

I really like it. I just finished my 2nd watching of all 4 parts, and it definitely holds up to a second viewing. In fact, I noticed things I didn't the first time, and got something different from it this time.

For some reason, 2nd time around, I really felt the full horror when the doppelganger of the arm tree screamed "NON-EXIST-ENT" just before Cooper falls through the gap in the floor. F***ing hell, that's pure terror right there!

I have a strong feeling we are witnessing artistic history being made here...
HoodedMatt
Roadhouse Member

Post by HoodedMatt »

I love the four episodes we've had so far. I can't wait to see the next fourteen and look back on the whole series and see where Lynch and Frost have taken us.
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

I personally think it's wrong to go "this ain't Twin Peaks" when we have only seen 4 episodes so far...
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

dronerstone wrote:I personally think it's wrong to go "this ain't Twin Peaks" when we have only seen 4 episodes so far...
Four hours is a hell of a lot of material. If you're not connecting with people who watched the previous 30 episodes and movie, something is up!!
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

Patience might prove to be a virtue once again. :)

edit: especially in today's impatient, fast-paced world where we have people checking their email as they walk.
NonStopKnits
Roadhouse Member

Post by NonStopKnits »

Gabriel wrote:
dronerstone wrote:I personally think it's wrong to go "this ain't Twin Peaks" when we have only seen 4 episodes so far...
Four hours is a hell of a lot of material. If you're not connecting with people who watched the previous 30 episodes and movie, something is up!!
Four hours IS a hell of a lot of material, but out of 18 hours is a fairly small chunk. I think it will get slightly more Peaksy as we move forward (or backwards, or sideways...). I think I will still enjoy it whether or not this happens, but who's to say until we see the full thing?
Adolphus
Roadhouse Member

Post by Adolphus »

Has anyone else mentioned the possibility of Lynch/ Frost cutting out the musical credits ( musical act + credits ) when (or if ) Season 3 is released as one " 18 hour movie "? I'd love to see that- hope they do it.
mujubuju
Roadhouse Member

Post by mujubuju »

Gabriel wrote:

Four hours IS a lot of material, but the vast majority of it so far has been laying ground for many external characters and plot lines that we were before this point unfamiliar with. The scope is much grander, and as a result it consumes a much larger canvas. That and MacLachlan is basically spending equal parts playing a demon or a vegetable right now and not the Cooper we know and love. So it's understandable that the same connection isn't there to this point. To be honest, much of the "prestige" TV landscape moves at a glacial pace, so I don't find this show much different in that regard.

Look, we haven't even moved into the "rising action" or conflict section of this series yet. I believe there could be enormous payoff in terms of satisfaction once we start seeing these disparate elements converge, and as such I'm willing to make the time investment.