POLL! Your reaction to Twin Peaks: The Return, pts. 1 through 4 (SPOILERS)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Which option best describes your feelings after having seen the first four parts?

Poll ended at Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:02 pm

Like or Love
85%
Heavily Mixed, Leaning Towards Like
12%
Heavily Mixed, Leaning Towards Dislike
2%
Dislike or Hate
1%

Total votes: 313
Ragnell
RR Diner Member

Re: POLL! Your reaction to Twin Peaks: The Return, pts. 1 through 4

Post by Ragnell »

I think people are thrown by how much out of town action there is, but it feels like an expansion. The town itself was unique so it makes sense the rest of the world feels different.

Personally I am enjoying it a lot and even found Ep 3 a lot funnier on the second watch.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

I was completely unprepared for it tbh, my first viewing left me shocked. I've now seen it three times and am utterly in love.
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

My viewing experience has been somewhat similar to others here. I enjoyed 1-4 quite a bit, but my mind had trouble with a few things the first time through. Every additional watch through though it gets better and better. That's not an experience I normally have: where the show keeps improving every time I watch it.

One of the few scenes I couldn't stand the first time in was the Wally Brando scene. But now it feels like a masterpiece.

I love Lynch, but he's surprising me with how great this is. And I suspect that bits and pieces that feel too non sequitur right now will eventually fit into a larger novelistic masterpiece.

EDIT: 88% like/love = major success. It also shows us that the negative posters clogging threads up are just a vocal minority.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
StrangerDanger
RR Diner Member

Post by StrangerDanger »

Trudy Chelgren wrote:Also, don't know if anyone else has done this already, but:

Where's the second image from?
leeeET's ROCK!
[ I've permanently left the forum ... Dugpa is a dodgy name, plus l'm too busy. Keep the :?: :idea: ]
PeaksCarnivaleLost
Roadhouse Member

Post by PeaksCarnivaleLost »

Sunday night, Monday morning I hated it.

I was tired, my brother snoring all through the silent parts totally distracting me.

I re-watched all 4 Tues and Wed and now I love it. It's brilliant.

Will re-watch this weekend and take scene by scene notes for later reference!
Trudy Chelgren
RR Diner Member

Post by Trudy Chelgren »

StrangerDanger wrote:

Where's the second image from?
It's a painting by Lynch, called 'Here I Am, Me as a House'
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Trudy Chelgren wrote:It's a painting by Lynch, called 'Here I Am, Me as a House'
I hadn't seen that yet. Nice observation.
The Marquis
Roadhouse Member

Post by The Marquis »

Wonderful & Strange wrote:My viewing experience has been somewhat similar to others here. I enjoyed 1-4 quite a bit, but my mind had trouble with a few things the first time through. Every additional watch through though it gets better and better. That's not an experience I normally have: where the show keeps improving every time I watch it.

One of the few scenes I couldn't stand the first time in was the Wally Brando scene. But now it feels like a masterpiece.

I love Lynch, but he's surprising me with how great this is. And I suspect that bits and pieces that feel too non sequitur right now will eventually fit into a larger novelistic masterpiece.

EDIT: 88% like/love = major success. It also shows us that the negative posters clogging threads up are just a vocal minority.

It's the usual situation that the most negative voices are the loudest. It's understandable, because they are incredibly disappointed, thus, changed.. The 88% of us who like/love it haven't changed, we still love it.

The fact that I've been thinking about it the larger part of my time awake since it aired and with each thought, it keeps getting better and better, has me excited to the point where I'm not even sure how to express how much I'm enjoying it to others.
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Re: POLL! Your reaction to Twin Peaks: The Return, pts. 1 through 4 (SPOILERS)

Post by AXX°N N. »

My word, the episode discussion threads are huge already. Just skimming them I see a lot of interesting tidbits of association. I'm not sure I can keep up with the activity, I feel like I already maxed out my time here in the anticipation. :) I hope down the line we can compile lists of interesting bits of the show, to enrich rewatching. Until then, regardless of the formation of something like that, I think I might be absent from this board for awhile as I'm not sure I can keep up with it and I think I would prefer to just go it alone anyway, at least for my first time.

Oh anyway, as for me I was at first bewildered, but have come to really enjoy Pt. 1&2. Still letting 3&4 simmer for me, and I have a feeling I can only know how I feel about them in terms of what surrounds them. Au revoir guys.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
Henrys Hair
RR Diner Member

Post by Henrys Hair »

Like turned to love on a second viewing (although still a nagging doubt that it could turn out to be a mess of standalone scenes that never form a greater whole).
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

I don't think these scenes will end up working as stand alone scenes. But even if they did, that's not necessarily a bad thing. It just means The Return is structured more episodically or thematically than a traditional cause and effect plot.

But I do think that we'll eventually see Dr. Jacoby and the Horn brothers more involved in some way. Nevertheless, I found their scenes delightful and intriguing. The Horn brothers scene especially was delightful. The idea that Jerry has become a full on hippie is wonderful.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I voted "Heavily Mixed, Leaning Towards Like" but am leaning more and more towards like now that I've warmed to it.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
LurkerAtTheThreshold
RR Diner Member

Post by LurkerAtTheThreshold »

Heavily Mixed, Leaning Towards Dislike
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

All the dislikes I have would only stem from comparison with the originals e.g. little music and slow pacing. I regard those irrelevant because if I wanted the old Peaks I should just watch the old Peaks.

This is amazing. While watching I am almost constantly wound up like a spring, the moments I'm not I'm relieved with laughter over it's silliness.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Wrz

Post by Wrz »

Loved all four. They had moments I strongly disliked at times, but overall loved.

So far at least (4 parts out of an 18 part movie) I like it better than the original 1990-1991 run. I never really liked the soap opera and whodunit aspects of the original. It was the surreal Lynch stuff that got me hooked and kept me. And this new season has that in spades.

I also love the new music. The darkwave, dark ambient type music featured as background score at times. I do look forward to hearing more of Badalamenti but I am hoping it is more in line with the darkwave sort of music to match the tone; though I would be fine with the traditional finger snap jazz music too. Darkwave, industrial, avant-garde type music is right up my alley.

To give an idea of my taste in terms of Lynch: I loved Mulholland Dr.; Blue Velvet; Liked Eraserhead, Dune, and The Elephant Man; Hated Inland Empire.

These four episodes have already made this my favorite show. From 2003-2017 HBO's Carnivale was my favorite, but now Twin Peaks is thanks to this new run.

I am eagerly awaiting part five.

I really hope this ends up being Showtime's most successful series. Then even if Lynch does not do a fourth season he might do a brand new surreal TV series if this is such a success for Showtime that he prioritizes TV as a medium for his creative output going forward.