Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

waferwhitemilk
Roadhouse Member

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by waferwhitemilk »

Idk I guess i had wanted and expected some more gravitas beforehand but on the other hand I appreciate how The Return so abandonedly takes itself not serious, especially when contrasted to the seriousness of some of its biggest fans, combing over codes and glitches and now expected to make sense of a green glove.
Rialto
RR Diner Member

Post by Rialto »

mlsstwrt wrote:
Such a cringeworthy scene. Americans, genuine question - do you get why that scene would be so cringeworthy to a Brit? Cor blimey guvnor.
Yes - has anyone from London actually referred to it as 'London Town' outside of a Disneyfied Dickens adaptation, since WW2?

For our American friends, it's the equivalent of watching a British drama and the only American character is a fat, obnoxious loudmouth who constantly exclaims 'Gee Whiz!', 'Real Neat!' or 'Hot Dog!' Offensively bad.

I never understand, when you see British actors playing British characters in American film/TV, why does no-one take the opportunity to run the script past them and say 'anything in here a British person would never say?'
RedRum
Roadhouse Member

Post by RedRum »

referendum wrote:watched TP as it came out. I have not re watched it since. Season 2 i really actively disliked about 1/3 of, but i stuck with it for the good stuff. There is nothing quite as bad as the worst bits of season 2 ( wyndham earle, civil war, etc) in TP TR. That said, the best aspects of TP TR have ( for me ) been the stuff that has little or no relation to the original series.

I like this series ALOT
Firstly I will agree that there were some really cringe worthy things in the original, such as Catherine as Mr Tojamura and the whole Annie and dale love making scene.

But none of that detracted from the coherence of the story or the overall feel of the series.

I think the key point here is how many times you watched the Original series... you watched it once. Those of us who became fans have watched it more times than we can count, and know it so intimately that it influenced our lives.

Touching us by stimulating our ideals on style, class and peaking out curiosity on mysteries that require a leap of logic to solve, but still tangible enough to be just on the outside of the periphery.

Such wisdom as ' everyday give yourself a present' and a deeper meaningful aspects of our lives as to listen to your inner self more.

If Twin peaks was a painting then seasons one and two had a huge palette of colours that resulted in a photo realistic image, where as Season three has very few colours and so the image is like a cartoon pulp version... no where near the fidelity of the original.

I think it comes down to just what the original meant to you and how much did you know it...
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

mlsstwrt wrote:Mtwentz, LateReg,Yaxomoxay (prob messed up the spelling, sorry) - you seem like good people. But please understand at this point I and several others are probably beyond disappointed and kind of angry about this. Can you please just allow us to vent about this? It's really beyond the discussion point, for me at least. Not that this was ever really a debate thread.

As to why keep watching? Maybe I shouldn't but I've waited 25 years and already watched 14 episodes so I may as well watch the amazing finale that we're bound to get. If I could go back and not have watched any of this, believe me I would.
Fair enough, but you did ask for our opinion :-)

I will just leave this thread with this- this is extremely difficult material, I acknowledge that. No one should condemn anyone for not liking it, especially on first brush. Hopefully it will grow on you over time like it has on many of us already.

P.S.- Note my avatar. I put it there before the show premiered. I knew watching this new Twin Peaks might be, for some of us, like Andrew and Pete opening up the safety deposit box in Ep. 29 and blow up in our faces (metaphorically speaking). Thankfully (for me at least) The Return hasn't been a bomb with a note stating, 'Got you mtwentz, Love Mark and David'
Last edited by mtwentz on Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
RedRum
Roadhouse Member

Post by RedRum »

mtwentz wrote: Hopefully it will grow on you over time like it has on many of us already.
Sorry but this statement shows you don't understand why we hate the season so much.

It isn't something that can grow on you, it is like putting toothpaste in your freshly squeezed, or like lopping off one of your horses legs and saying you'll get used to it after a while.

Season three isn't self contained... its corruption of the source material permeates through to the original too.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

RedRum wrote:
mtwentz wrote: Hopefully it will grow on you over time like it has on many of us already.
Sorry but this statement shows you don't understand why we hate the season so much.

It isn't something that can grow on you, it is like putting toothpaste in your freshly squeezed.

Season three isn't self contained... its corruption of the source material permeates through to the original too.
I HATED 2001 A Space Odyssey when I first saw it in the early 70s.

It is now one of my favorite films of all time.

How could I have predicted that? How can you predict how you will feel about The Return years from now? It's not really possible, in the absence of a time machine.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
RedRum
Roadhouse Member

Post by RedRum »

mtwentz wrote:
I HATED 2001 A Space Odyssey when I first saw it in the early 70s.

It is now one of my favorite films of all time.
Not the same thing at all.

It isn't a returning of something you already loved and totally corrupting it into something else.

It seems you really are missing the point.
Rialto
RR Diner Member

Post by Rialto »

RedRum wrote:
referendum wrote:watched TP as it came out. I have not re watched it since. Season 2 i really actively disliked about 1/3 of, but i stuck with it for the good stuff. There is nothing quite as bad as the worst bits of season 2 ( wyndham earle, civil war, etc) in TP TR. That said, the best aspects of TP TR have ( for me ) been the stuff that has little or no relation to the original series.

I like this series ALOT
Firstly I will agree that there were some really cringe worthy things in the original, such as Catherine as Mr Tojamura and the whole Annie and dale love making scene.

But none of that detracted from the coherence of the story or the overall feel of the series.

I think the key point here is how many times you watched the Original series... you watched it once. Those of us who became fans have watched it more times than we can count, and know it so intimately that it influenced our lives.

Touching us by stimulating our ideals on style, class and peaking out curiosity on mysteries that require a leap of logic to solve, but still tangible enough to be just on the outside of the periphery.

Such wisdom as ' everyday give yourself a present' and a deeper meaningful aspects of our lives as to listen to your inner self more.

If Twin peaks was a painting then seasons one and two had a huge palette of colours that resulted in a photo realistic image, where as Season three has very few colours and so the image is like a cartoon pulp version... no where near the fidelity of the original.

I think it comes down to just what the original meant to you and how much did you know it...
Let's not get into a pissing contest over who loves TP more. I'm sorry, RedRum, you lost me at 'lovers of The Return probably vote Liberal'.

I'm a Liberal, and I've been pretty vocal here about how much I hate S3. I don't see what it has to do with the price of fish [in the percolator...]

Nb: please don't anyone take this as a jumping off point for a political debate - that is DEFINITELY is not what this thread is for. I will not be engaging in any political discussions here.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

mlsstwrt wrote:Mtwentz, LateReg,Yaxomoxay (prob messed up the spelling, sorry) - you seem like good people. But please understand at this point I and several others are probably beyond disappointed and kind of angry about this. Can you please just allow us to vent about this? It's really beyond the discussion point, for me at least. Not that this was ever really a debate thread.

As to why keep watching? Maybe I shouldn't but I've waited 25 years and already watched 14 episodes so I may as well watch the amazing finale that we're bound to get. If I could go back and not have watched any of this, believe me I would.
By all means, vent. Since I joined this thread - one of the most interesting in the entire forum - I always said that it's your right to complain, vent and dislike this show. I would've been surprised if this show received unanimous approval by fans. No artistic creation is exempt from criticism, and this is especially true when people have some sort of attachment to it. Just look at Star Wars, Star Trek or the Gilmore Girls.
But allow me to tell you one thing. Another reason I come here every day is because I consider this thread much less prone to knee jerk reactions. The regular threads are flooded by "this is the best show ever", which after the first episodes grew stale. I praised episode 14 because I truly loved it, I criticized episode 12 because I didn't like it, and I praised episode 8. I am not going to say that every episode is "the finest hour of television ever" because it's not true. Episode 8, maybe. Episode 12? Nah. Some West Wing episodes are much more touching and better designed than episode 12 (see the one with Brothers in Arms as background music). I truly believe that this group of disappointed people is important to better understand TP. It's the "other view". However when I read apocalyptic posts or F--- you's to the creator I am saddened by the fact that the bar is lowered bar on this thread. It doesn't add anything to the discussion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RedRum
Roadhouse Member

Post by RedRum »

Rialto wrote:
Let's not get into a pissing contest over who loves TP more. I'm sorry, RedRum, you lost me at 'lovers of The Return probably vote Liberal'.

I'm a Liberal, and I've been pretty vocal here about how much I hate S3. I don't see what it has to do with the price of fish [in the percolator...]

Nb: please don't anyone take this as a jumping off point for a political debate - that is DEFINITELY is not what this thread is for. I will not be engaging in any political discussions here.
Its not a pissing contest about who is a bigger fan, I was simply pointing out that those that perhaps watched it once are not affected as badly by the atrocity that is season three.

And I didn't say ALL people that hate the season are Liberal voters, just I assert the majority are... I arrived at this conclusion through deductive reasoning.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

RedRum wrote:
Rialto wrote:

Its not a pissing contest about who is a bigger fan, I was simply pointing out that those that perhaps watched it once are not affected as badly by the atrocity that is season three.

And I didn't say ALL people that hate the season are Liberal voters, just I assert I bet the majority are... this is from using deductive reasoning.
How can you deduct the political orientation of fans in a show as crazy as this... I don't know.

LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Rialto wrote:Also, I heard someone say '18 hour movie' again! Let's be clear, this is not structured like any movie - not classic 3 act structure, not 5 act, not 8 sequence, not 'art house' (whatever that even means - it's a 'how long is a piece of string' definition for anything that doesn't fit in an easy box).

In a movie, roughly every 8-15 minutes there would be some kind of twist, cliffhanger, question raised or mini-climax. In this, that might equate to similar at the end of every episode. You can't excuse each episode meandering around till it almost randomly ends by saying 'but it's an 18 hour movie'. It's not.
Hi Rialto. It seems like an 18 hour film to me. It doesn't seem like any other film, I agree. But the way it ebbs and flows, lacks cliffhangers at the end of each part, etc, makes it feel more like a movie than TV. There's no right or wrong way to edit a movie. The loose quality of it reminds me of Rivette's Out 1, and the way the scenes are piling up seems like Mulholland Dr or Inland Empire stretched to 18 hours. To me. And with just 4 hours left, I still don't feel equipped to properly judge it, as I need to see where so many things are going to do so. In that regard, for me, it also feels like an 18 hour movie. Once again, there's really no right or wrong way to construct a movie.
Last edited by LateReg on Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

Let's keep politics out of this. This thread is about this unfolding (for me at least) 18-part train wreck.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

boske wrote:Let's keep politics out of this. This thread is about this unfolding (for me at least) 18-part train wreck.
Agreed (on the politics part lol).
You would admit that studying disasters is yrev very interesting!! ;)

RedRum
Roadhouse Member

Post by RedRum »

yaxomoxay wrote:
RedRum wrote:
Rialto wrote:

And I didn't say ALL people that hate the season are Liberal voters, just I assert I bet the majority are... this is from using deductive reasoning.
How can you deduct the political orientation of fans in a show as crazy as this... I don't know.

1. The younger you are the more likely you are to vote Liberal.
2. The younger you are the less exposure you have to Twin Peaks
3. The younger you are the more likely you are to appreciate superficial elements over depth.
4. The less you have been exposed to Twin Peaks the less Season Three Affects your original interaction with the series.
5. The less Season three affects your original interaction with the series, the more you are likely to like it

This is not an absolute but overall when applied to numbers would equate to a reasoning as to why there are those that love season three and that they most likely vote Liberal.
Last edited by RedRum on Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.