Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

nick1218
Roadhouse Member

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by nick1218 »

Cipher wrote:
nick1218 wrote:I kind of wonder this too. The scene where the little boy is run over was really graphic and long. It felt downright sadistic. Why subject your audience to seeing a child killed in such a way? Its strange
I found that scene affecting and powerful, and certainly not indicative of any kind of mental breakdown. Part 6 remains my second favorite hour between that and the beauty of the lingering Dougie-Cooper-drawing scene.

That said, I do question the use of such non-naturalistic responses from the bystanders, but that's been a Lynch indulgence for decades, and I trust him enough as an artist in most ways to revisit that once the series has wrapped.
yeah Im sure youre right
referendum
RR Diner Member

Post by referendum »

anybody else think that dougie coop's buff body was cgi'd in as a joke?

it's about how he is seen not how he ''is''.
''let's not overthink this opportunity''
David Locke
RR Diner Member

Post by David Locke »

The episode has stuck in my head and I do admit it's grown on me already, to an extent. I still think it was incredibly abrasive, but just the Laura/Cole scene alone was beautiful/disturbing as hell and something that will stay with me for a long time.
KnewItsPa
Roadhouse Member

Post by KnewItsPa »

"Hello, Johnny. How are you today?" Well episode 10 was a complete waste of time and resources. Maybe I should get a Golden Shovel and an education so I can stop distracting myself with this crud. Other than that. I'm Fine. Thanks for asking, Evolution of the Bear.
"Crack the code, solve the crime."
BIRDSLOVERS

Post by BIRDSLOVERS »

Jonah wrote:
SpookySculder wrote:I'm really getting frustrated with the lack of original cast. I'm one of the people that totally TOTALLY stayed away from any news/spoilers before the premiere so I don't really think I had many expectations and quite frankly, I thought I was pretty open minded about wherever the story would take us, but two things I DID expect was for the show to be set in TP and to see A LOT more of the original cast. It's an odd feeling, because I *have* been enjoying the show up until now but I'm at a point where it almost physically *hurts* that none of my favorite characters have been on screen for more than 5 minutes and we're past the half-way point. I just really wish it could have been a tad more balanced between old and new characters. Someone said to look at this more like a movie rather than a series, and I think it has helped me to an extent, but after last night a feeling of dread came over me. There is so much going on and not enough time left to get a decent amount of screen time with our original characters. At least I don't see how. Maybe last nights episode title threw me off but I was positive we were going to see Sheryl again; instead we only got a flashback scene from FWWM. We still haven't seen Audrey, etc... Every time I think we're going to get a little something, we don't. My hair is turning white a la Leland. :lol:
That's my biggest disappointment with the new series - how little the original cast is being used. They are very sidelined, confined in most cases to just one set. Lynch has done this before in FWWM. I think it's a missed opportunity when he managed to get them all back after 25 years to not use them more and give them more to do/more characterisation.
in one of the interviews leading up to the premier, lynch said he came back to do this, in part because he 'loved the people of twin peaks'. disappointing that the people of twin peaks arent that involved in the return so far given what lynch said
LurkerAtTheThreshold
RR Diner Member

Post by LurkerAtTheThreshold »

nick1218 wrote:
LurkerAtTheThreshold wrote:I'm so confused about how I feel about this show. This episode threw me again. Can't tell if I love it or hate it.

Episodes 7 and 9 restored my confidence in Lynch as a director. because it seemed like everything was deliberately planned, even the sweeping scene. But I really thought by episode ten that we wouldn't have these pointless disconnected roadhouse scenes anymore. So much of this just Lila and drags. I'm getting really sick of feeling bored. It feels so poorly constructed. Inland Empire was always disconcerting to me and sometimes I really wonder wether Lynch has the skills as a storyteller.

Anyway, at the same time, I liked a lot in this episode. I love Belushi and the Las Vegas people, though I can understand the criticism of people who are sick of Las Vegas in their Twin Peaks. I don't know.

What the hell is going on with this show?

Is David Lynch actially mentally ill and having a public nervous breakdown, like those scenes where the clown goes homicidal and crazy and everyone just laughs?
I kind of wonder this too. The scene where the little boy is run over was really graphic and long. It felt downright sadistic. Why subject your audience to seeing a child killed in such a way? Its strange
It was a horrific scene. But for me it's not so much just the inclusion of such horror, it's the incohesihe emotional context. We are asked to process scenes like that in league with floor sweeping and Jacoby scenes and it's very confusing. Whatever Lynch's intent is, it doesn't seem to be carrying across well.

It's funny, because I remember thinking after the first episode with Becky and Stephen that maybe I had misjudged Lynch, and that in spite of the lack of youthfulness of the return that this romance was actually a really good portrayal of young people in love, neglectful and self absorbed, but still profoundly moved by each other.
But then in Episode 10 Stephen became yet another abusive, unlikeable monstrosity. Now he is just another Richard Horne/Red. There's no subtlety in these characters, they commit violence without any other motivation.
Even Leo had more depth than Richard Horne.

Also, what is this genre subversion all leading to? They've built this hierarchy of villains, but to what end? Every time there is any suspense or mystery, Lynch makes every effort to destroy it.
Ike is caught, Richard horne is clearly guilty and steps away from being reported.

It seems like a deliberate statement about the original. Withholding full judgement until after these last 8 episodes.
wAtChLaR
RR Diner Member

Post by wAtChLaR »

LurkerAtTheThreshold wrote: What the hell is going on with this show?

Is David Lynch actually mentally ill and having a public nervous breakdown, like those scenes where the clown goes homicidal and crazy and everyone just laughs?

mentally ill? NO
attuned to the dysfunction of society..YES....
Lynch has always thrown the subversive side of society in our faces
the anxiety
the fear
the desperation

his art demands we become introspective and face our personal demons
i'm a moderator's nightmare

i know i know
LurkerAtTheThreshold
RR Diner Member

Post by LurkerAtTheThreshold »

wAtChLaR wrote:

Is David Lynch actually mentally ill and having a public nervous breakdown, like those scenes where the clown goes homicidal and crazy and everyone just laughs?

mentally ill? NO
the anxiety
the fear
the desperation

I think he may have his own personal demons to be honest.
wAtChLaR
RR Diner Member

Post by wAtChLaR »

LurkerAtTheThreshold wrote:
wAtChLaR wrote:

mentally ill? NO
the anxiety
the fear
the desperation

I think he may have his own personal demons to be honest.
as do all auteurs
true artists
it's not a bad thing
i'm a moderator's nightmare

i know i know
Terence
Roadhouse Member

Post by Terence »

I honestly just dont get the story choices that David & Mark have made.
Like i was thinking surely please my god can we have the real Dale Cooper that is of sound mind & can talk at least when the second have of the season starts.

No were still seeing Cooper as this brian damaged person goes to the doctor which seems to take no notice of him acting this way & hes wife takes it as normal..

But now also we getting sex scenes with DougieCooper just flaping hes arms about WTF.

When really we could be having this EPIC quest of Special Agent Cooper tracking down this EVIL version of himself which would be so brilliantly interesting.

I guess David or Mark dont do epic.

Dont get me wrong im still loving this return but when the story could just have had easly been told in the manner that would suit it better over all.
As i said seriously odd story choices.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

No, they don't do that kind of epic IMO.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Terence
Roadhouse Member

Post by Terence »

Anyway you look at it be it epic or not the good Dale Cooper should be tracking down a man that is hes doppelganger & using hes name & doing all sorts off things with hes identity.

Christ this story could have been told in interesting ways.
Im sure we might get some version what im on about but with what time we have left who the hell knows.
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

There's a lot of talk about this being a weak episode on the main thread but they want to separate themselves from designating admissions of disappointment officially.

Opportunities for imaginative storytelling have been squandered in favor of brutal, shallow solipsism that isn't even noir.

I don't want Janey-E's heart broken more than I want old Cooper back now. This is the most human part of the show. Albert and Constance are also a solid pairing, but Ben/Beverly, Gordon/Tammy? *pukes in my mouth*

I waited 25 years for Candie? Kill me. The bloody rivalry between insurance companies is way less interesting than what I hoped Duncan was up to. Another hit on Dougie, but not concerned. Like others, I won't be rewatching the Sylvia assault. Only really looking forward to Red sawing Richard's head open and eating his brains at this point, maybe some zone-entering with Hasting and Mr C. *I don't think Diane is corrupt, I can't read that much into her relaying the message. She knows about the site and that it's extremely guarded information is all that really said.*

So Dougie has been around since 1997. Biographical speculation: This was Lost Highway production time, shot in Vegas. Riley would have been 5, Sonny Jim is slightly older. there was messy transition from David and Isabella to David and Mary. As Eraserhead showed us surprise childbirth angst, here might be transition to domestic life angst, it's ups and downs and fogginess of purpose and self.

Really It's the first episode I've liked Roadhouse better than anything else, despite autotune. I was there at TPF 04 and that song has never left my mind. Hotel room and Miriam's place were stunning sets. I would buy a coffee table book of just the shots of the mountains, one made me sigh out loud.

Glitch in the matrix showing Laura before her death startled me but the effect was corny and Gordon's sightline didn't sell for me.
Too Old to Die Young > TP S03
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

sylvia_north wrote:There's a lot of talk about this being a weak episode on the main thread but they want to separate themselves from designating admissions of disappointment officially.
I think we can all figure out what we want on our own.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

N. Needleman wrote:
sylvia_north wrote:There's a lot of talk about this being a weak episode on the main thread but they want to separate themselves from designating admissions of disappointment officially.
I think we can all figure out what we want on our own.
I was merely pointing out that there's disappointment on the main thread for those who think it's misrepresented here.
Too Old to Die Young > TP S03