Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

twin-b
Roadhouse Member

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by twin-b »

I'm surprised by some here who haven't rewatched the episodes. I was disappointed last Sunday night and had lots of issues. And while I am still disappointed in aspects of the story and FX, I felt so much better about things after rewatching. And I've now watched all 4 parts 3-4 times and have been enjoying reading theories and testing against my new viewings. Scenes that I thought dragged unnecessarily played faster on rewatch for me, not the other way around.
mlsstwrt
RR Diner Member

Post by mlsstwrt »

twin-b wrote:
mlsstwrt wrote:
BOB1 wrote:Probably because you are too old. or too young... Depending on what the age-comment meant, which I'm not following either ;-)

Anyway I:
- am 41
- never heard about any Chromatics before
- liked the ending of Part 2

;-)
Ha ha. I am:

- have been listening to the Chromatics for over a decade
- didn't like the ending of Part 2
- had heard of the Chromatics but didn't know their music or appearance
- liked the ending of Part 2. thought she was suitable stand-in/update for Julie Cruise
I like them a lot, but for me The Roadhouse just isn't the same without Julee Cruise. I also do think that Lynch is using The Return to give some exposure to bands/singers that he really likes and I do have a bit of a problem with that, unless it enhances the viewing experience which, for me, it doesn't. It just feels a little bit forced and unnatural to me.

I just didn't get the point that Driftwood was making, at all.

A lot of criticism directed towards those of us not overly enamored with The Return is that we just want a retread of the original. It's not the case, I'm fine with change but of course part of the excitement about Season 3 was the prospect of revisiting a world that we were deeply in love with. And that hasn't happened. Nothing looks or feels as good as it did. Not the Roadhouse, not the Sheriff's station, not the Red room, nothing. It's like we're expected to judge this as a standalone work but I can't do that.
OneEyedJack
Roadhouse Member

Post by OneEyedJack »

mlsstwrt wrote:
I like them a lot, but for me The Roadhouse just isn't the same without Julee Cruise. I also do think that Lynch is using The Return to give some exposure to bands/singers that he really likes and I do have a bit of a problem with that, unless it enhances the viewing experience which, for me, it doesn't. It just feels a little bit forced and unnatural to me.
I'm a guessing there is going to be a version of the 18 parts all in one without the music interludes, as it is to be viewed as 1 long movie. The bands at the end of the parts to me are used to roll credits and are used as a placeholder for television as we are watching this in 18 parts. It certainly isn't a show stopper.... but then again it is a show stopper. Wait. You get what I mean.

As for this thread, I'm enjoying it as much as the show and sorry to hijack. I sincerely hope the road ahead rises up to meet your wheels.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I think those locations look as lovely as ever, if not moreso. But to each their own.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
mlsstwrt
RR Diner Member

Post by mlsstwrt »

OneEyedJack wrote:
mlsstwrt wrote:
I'm a guessing there is going to be a version of the 18 parts all in one without the music interludes, as it is to be viewed as 1 long movie. The bands at the end of the parts to me are used to roll credits and are used as a placeholder for television as we are watching this in 18 parts. It certainly isn't a show stopper.... but then again it is a show stopper. Wait. You get what I mean.

As for this thread, I'm enjoying it as much as the show and sorry to hijack. I sincerely hope the road ahead rises up to meet your wheels.
OneEyedJack - wait, does that mean you are or aren't enjoying the thread :wink: ?

Interesting point about the way the music interludes are being used. I'm still struggling a bit with the idea that this is intended to be an '18 hour movie'. Ok, I accept that there aren't many people out there who are capable of sitting down and watching an 18 hour movie in one sitting. But if something is intended to be an 18 hour movie, rather than an episodic television show, then isn't this almost necessarily doomed to failure by virtue of the fact that it's an 18 hour movie being aired like a conventional TV show?

Or to make the point another way, think of a movie you really love and the effect it had on you. Now what if you had watched that same movie for the first time but instead of doing so in one go, you watched a few minutes of it every week over several weeks. It's not going to be remotely the same experience, is it?
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

If it were necessarily doomed to failure, it wouldn't be succeeding to the extent it has. The analogy is just never going to track because a few minutes is not the same as an hour, no matter if the % of the final product is the same. This seems fairly obvious to me?
mlsstwrt
RR Diner Member

Post by mlsstwrt »

N. Needleman wrote:I think those locations look as lovely as ever, if not moreso. But to each their own.
That's genuinely interesting to me and, as you say, each to their own.

It's not just the look. Take the Sheriff's station. I use to love the feel of that place because it had almost this 'clubhouse' type atmosphere. There were so few people there but the atmosphere was warm and benevolent. The arrival of Albert and his team briefly, but strikingly, challenged that warmth and benevolence and Harry soon set him straight.

Now they have all these new people there and at least one unpleasant character (sorry I don't know his name but the guy who was being antagonistic/sarcastic). It's more realistic I guess because almost every work environment has at least one jerk. But it's not the wonderful place that it was before, the sort of place you'd love to spend time in.

Twin Peaks was always escapism at it's very best for me. I've said the same thing a couple of times above so sorry for repeating myself but I was enchanted by that world. My greatest dream would have been to move to Twin Peaks and live there! I would have killed to be sitting in the Double R when Audrey did her strange and bewitching dance, I would have loved to stay at the Great Northern (even with the Norwegian's making a racket). Hell I'd probably have taken a job at the Packard Mill!

That's entirely missing in the new Series, not once have I thought that I would like to be in any of the places shown so far. And, yes, this is all probably deliberate and there is a reason for it, all I'm saying is that I'm mourning the loss of something that was very dear to me.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

twin-b wrote:
mlsstwrt wrote:
BOB1 wrote:Probably because you are too old. or too young... Depending on what the age-comment meant, which I'm not following either ;-)

Anyway I:
- am 41
- never heard about any Chromatics before
- liked the ending of Part 2

;-)
Ha ha. I am:

- have been listening to the Chromatics for over a decade
- didn't like the ending of Part 2
- had heard of the Chromatics but didn't know their music or appearance
- liked the ending of Part 2. thought she was suitable stand-in/update for Julie Cruise
Never heard of the Chromatics before. Bought the track on iTunes right after the episode. Haven't particularly been bothered with the end tracks from the next two episodes. It's embarrassingly like Top of the Pops, circa the 1980s. At least the Chromatics scene tied in a bit with the storyline. I'm sorry not to see more of Shelly and James in the two hours since.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

I'll say this about the musical endings. One of my concerns initially was that every scene at the Roadhouse would have a different singer/band. This sort of 'celebrity cameo' if you will tied into my larger concern with the show given the huge names and large cast list.

So, I'm sort of good with the detached musical endings.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
mlsstwrt
RR Diner Member

Post by mlsstwrt »

Dalai Cooper wrote:If it were necessarily doomed to failure, it wouldn't be succeeding to the extent it has. The analogy is just never going to track because a few minutes is not the same as an hour, no matter if the % of the final product is the same. This seems fairly obvious to me?
'Succeeding to the extent it has'. That's impossible to prove one way or another. What is your basis for saying this is succeeding? On the other hand I can't prove that it isn't succeeding.

But my point is that is if it's an 18 hour movie, maybe it has to be screened as an 18 hour movie. Of course that's pretty much impossible. So if it's going to be aired as a conventional TV Series then it has to be structured as such. This isn't working for me.

Of course there will be an opportunity when this is over to watch this as an 18 hour movie but watching something for the second time is very different. So maybe I should have held off and just waited until this was available on DVD before watching the whole thing in one go (or more realistically maybe over a couple of days). But then you have the problem of avoiding spoilers and it's pretty difficult to be that patient.

I hope my point makes some sense even if you don't agree with it.
douglasb
RR Diner Member

Post by douglasb »

Only just had my first re-watch of the first couple of hours (and first watch for my wife). Liked it very much, so it's definitely the Dougie stuff I didn't like first time round. Didn't think any parts dragged, except - ironically - for some of the Red Room scenes. Perhaps the only thing I still actively dislike is the Laura sequence, and who knows where that will go.

So I go back to 3 & 4 a little tentatively.

Wife loved it BTW.
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

mlsstwrt wrote:
Dalai Cooper wrote:If it were necessarily doomed to failure, it wouldn't be succeeding to the extent it has. The analogy is just never going to track because a few minutes is not the same as an hour, no matter if the % of the final product is the same. This seems fairly obvious to me?
'Succeeding to the extent it has'. That's impossible to prove one way or another. What is your basis for saying this is succeeding? On the other hand I can't prove that it isn't succeeding.

But my point is that is if it's an 18 hour movie, maybe it has to be screened as an 18 hour movie. Of course that's pretty much impossible. So if it's going to be aired as a conventional TV Series then it has to be structured as such. This isn't working for me.

Of course there will be an opportunity when this is over to watch this as an 18 hour movie but watching something for the second time is very different. So maybe I should have held off and just waited until this was available on DVD before watching the whole thing in one go (or more realistically maybe over a couple of days). But then you have the problem of avoiding spoilers and it's pretty difficult to be that patient.

I hope my point makes some sense even if you don't agree with it.
I just mean that a lot of people really like it - obviously artistic success is subjective but "necessarily doomed to failure" doesn't really allow for that possibility.

I think people are making too much of the "feature film" thing tbh, or at least ignoring the "in 18 parts" part - again, a large number of people are loving it as it's being presented (so far!)
Driftwood
RR Diner Member

Post by Driftwood »

mlsstwrt wrote:Nothing looks or feels as good as it did.
That's exactly how time works
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

To clarify, I think that lynch is essentially just saying "this season was conceived and produced as a whole", not that it must be consumed as such, otherwise it wouldn't be released the way that it is! It's just a variation on frost's conception of season 1 as chapters of a novel - I'm sure you could call true detective a feature in however many parts too.

I'll leave you guys to this thread as I love the new season, though!
mlsstwrt
RR Diner Member

Post by mlsstwrt »

Driftwood wrote:
mlsstwrt wrote:Nothing looks or feels as good as it did.
That's exactly how time works
Ha ha, isn't that the painful truth!