Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Aside from a poor decision in undertaking Dune (an experience he learned from), DKL has never and will never do anything artistically that he doesn’t want to do. There is no danger whatsoever of him being “pressured.”

Likewise, I imagine that Mark could have leveraged his immediate post-TP buzz into much more lucrative jobs than what he ended up doing, but he stuck with projects he was passionate about (mostly novels about the occult and nonfiction golf books).

These guys march to their own drums, don’t need the money, and don’t care about the acclaim/fame. The only way a new TP season will happen is the same way S3 happened: because L/F damn well feel like it. Any petitioning/protesting for a new season is both harmless and futile (although it can’t hurt to remind them that the audience is still here...Mark in particular has said how impressed he was that fans have kept the show alive for 25 years).
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

Lynch seems to really hate negative feedback, but since the vast majority of fans and critics have responded positively to S3, I think he's feeling good about it, Mark Frost too, and I think this is why we've been told they're open to more.

So any campaigns calling for more Twin Peaks because they enjoyed S3 will only have a positive effect on Lynch and Frost.

It's those demanding nostalgia and fan service that will turn Lynch off. Frost too, listening to him talk.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Lynch and Frost have always been appreciative of the fans supporting Twin Peaks. Here is a photo of them during season 2 in a press conference on the set. Notice the t-shirt placed behind Lynch? C.O.O.P. (Citizens Opposed to the Offing of Peaks)
Screen Shot 2017-11-10 at 11.20.05 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-11-10 at 11.20.05 PM.png (273.98 KiB) Viewed 11142 times

Read about C.O.O.P. here:

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/06/the-se ... 201830275/

Forget social media. These guys sent boxes of stale donuts and threatening letters to ABC. Lynch and Frost loved it. Lynch appeared on television and even gave an address at ABC for people to write too.

Lynch/Frost and Showtime are savvy and old hands at this. They have seen all this before. The truth is, at this point Showtime have most of the numbers they need to determine if another season makes sense for them. These sort of fan campaigns are mostly for fans to feel productive and show enthusiasm for a show which they weren't disappointed in.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

SpookyDollhouse wrote: Nobody thought Lynch was going to walk away from The Return altogether at one point, so not a single thing is set in stone.
If you can believe that (Lynch walked away). I myself have strong reservations about his sincerity with that particular move...
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Wonderful & Strange wrote:Why are we not allowed to question the tenuous claims of the disappointed? Why should this website be a safe space for them?
Many here were free to question these, as you say (I, of course, don't agree) "tenuos" claims, got into long discussions with the disappointed ones, made productive arguments that yielded many valid points for both sides and contributed to the richer discourse in the TP fandom community (which is only a good thing in my view). There's a difference between doing that, however, and just coming here to sling insults like calling people "spoiled, whining brats" like a certain poster who got deleted did recently. So why are you here personally? Do you have anything productive to add that might make an odd disappointed one think twice about his feelings towards the series or do you just want to pass your time by trolling?
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Wonderful & Strange wrote:
It's those demanding nostalgia and fan service that will turn Lynch off. Frost too, listening to him talk.
Wow, THX for making me feel so important. At least the whole Return shebang was good for something!
Kilmoore
RR Diner Member

Post by Kilmoore »

Wonderful & Strange wrote:Why are we not allowed to question the tenuous claims of the disappointed? Why should this website be a safe space for them?
Read the title of the thread. It's exactly the same thing as going into a thread about the Final Dossier book and posting detailed analysis of episode 5 of the original series. It's relevant to the site, but it's in the wrong thread.

Staring a new thread for the purpose of arguing against the disappointed could be interesting.
Venus
RR Diner Member

Post by Venus »

Hello W&S. We can all question each others claims of either adulation or disappointment until the cows come home. This thread however, was just one thread that those who felt disappointment in Series 3 could come and express their thoughts. It was thought it was preferable to do that here than all over the countless threads on the board from those who really enjoyed Series 3 because that wouldn't really have been fair on everyone else who enjoyed it. Now this could be pointing out the bleedin' obvious or not but it looked like an explanation was required by what you said. P.S. if you read through this thread starting at the beginning you will see that claims are not tenuous from the majority of those who are disappointed.
When Jupiter and Saturn meet...
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

You can question disappointed people on every other thread in existence on this site. I pity your hatred of people who have different views from your ‘tenuous’ worship of one of the most tiresome, critically-overrated dogs of a ‘film’ ever vomited into people’s living rooms.

This thread (not site) was started because people like the lovely Venus were being bullied to tears by talifans with similar opinions to yours.

Simple fact is that attacking people with different opinions in the one place that exists where they can discuss their views without the petulant rages of fanatics isn’t going to win you any converts.

There’s a variety of opinion and dislike among us, from people like me, who thinks season three is a worthless pile of stinking, rancid offal that was a waste of a Now TV subscription, through to milder sceptics. Joining us are friendly fans of the new show who are happy to chat with people whose critical view of the series means it can be examined in a different light.

So please, feel free to go anywhere else on this site or any other where you get to ‘question’ and batter anyone with a contrary opinion into submission or into leaving that site.

Critical success can be used as an excuse to diminish contrary opinion. My response is ‘Howard Roark laughed.’
Aqwell
RR Diner Member

Post by Aqwell »

Wonderful & Strange wrote:Lynch seems to really hate negative feedback, but since the vast majority of fans and critics have responded positively to S3
You could have just precised, the vast majority... of Lynch fans. Which is already sad in itself, but not a reflection of the vast majority of the public, I hope. Yet, thanks to the vast majority of moviegoers the never-ending trend of bad sequels, bad remakes or bad reboots will probably go on indefinitely. So, a shit sequel to a shit season, that's totally the kind of thing I expect from the vast majority.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

Aqwell wrote:You could have just precised, the vast majority... of Lynch fans. Which is already sad in itself, but not a reflection of the vast majority of the public, I hope. Yet, thanks to the vast majority of moviegoers the never-ending trend of bad sequels, bad remakes or bad reboots will probably go on indefinitely. So, a shit sequel to a shit season, that's totally the kind of thing I expect from the vast majority.
Twin Peaks needs the Nicholas Meyer/Star Trek II treatment: outsiders come in, ignore the rubbish ‘movie’/season and do something that reflects real understanding of what made the original tick.
SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

Post by SpookyDollhouse »

Gabriel wrote:
Aqwell wrote:You could have just precised, the vast majority... of Lynch fans. Which is already sad in itself, but not a reflection of the vast majority of the public, I hope. Yet, thanks to the vast majority of moviegoers the never-ending trend of bad sequels, bad remakes or bad reboots will probably go on indefinitely. So, a shit sequel to a shit season, that's totally the kind of thing I expect from the vast majority.
Twin Peaks needs the Nicholas Meyer/Star Trek II treatment: outsiders come in, ignore the rubbish ‘movie’/season and do something that reflects real understanding of what made the original tick.
There it is: "The Return isn't what I say it should be and is therefore bad, an outsider who "understands it more" with a "real understanding" than its fathers needs to come in and make a repeat of the original."

Never stop, world of blue.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Gabriel wrote:
Believe it or not, I loved the original Star Trek The Motion Picture but fell asleep during Wrath of Khan.

I am a fan of Nicholas Meyer though for The Day After.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Yes, one can say the fathers are the end all in their decision making, and this is their vision. But that doesn’t mean the viewer even if he or she was a fan has to automatically like the end result. It doesn’t mean I dislike Frost or Lynch, but just disappointed in what they presented. To me, it was like they had all the best ingredients... but the meal just didn’t come together for me. No books or essays about it are now going to make a switch turn on in me and say, oh now I love it. And yeah, I’ll be the first to say ugh the story didn’t go the way I wanted it to (Cough, Audrey Coooer, cough). But also say objectively things just didn’t work for me. Sure there are moments of just brilliance, but the overall meal the two chefs made left me profoundly disappointed.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

Post by SpookyDollhouse »

Audrey Horne wrote:Yes, one can say the fathers are the end all in their decision making, and this is their vision. But that doesn’t mean the viewer even if he or she was a fan has to automatically like the end result.
I'm not saying nobody has to enjoy it. This isn't directed at you, but saying someone else should come in and "fix it" to be how "they say it should be by others who have REAL understanding" is belittling to them whether you like what they've made or not. It's "fans know better than the creators" spiel; that's what I and others ultimately disagree with, not dislike in general.
It doesn’t mean I dislike Frost or Lynch, but just disappointed in what they presented. To me, it was like they had all the best ingredients... but the meal just didn’t come together for me. No books or essays about it are now going to make a switch turn on in me and say, oh now I love it. And yeah, I’ll be the first to say ugh the story didn’t go the way I wanted it to (Cough, Audrey Coooer, cough). But also say objectively things just didn’t work for me. Sure there are moments of just brilliance, but the overall meal the two chefs made left me profoundly disappointed.
Completely, and totally understandable.