Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

douglasb
RR Diner Member

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by douglasb »

A white horse walks into a bar.

The barman asks, 'Why the long face?'

The horse replies, 'I've been watching the new Twin Peaks.'
mlsstwrt
RR Diner Member

Post by mlsstwrt »

LateReg wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:
mlsstwrt wrote:
Me too, ASMR is awesome.

Haven't seen the latest episode yet but (kind of) looking forward to.

Yaxomoxay - that was an unusual spurt of aggression from you! Very out of character. Honestly I think at this point I'm going to find it hard to care much about Ed and Norma for the reasons others have stated. I cared about them a LOT in the original but at this point one or two scenes aren't necessarily going to immediately rekindle those old feelings. I would hope none of us are so attached to being disappointed that we're going to criticise no matter what but I think at this point it's going to be very difficult or impossible to salvage this as a whole. Still hoping for a great finale though.

Just one point I wanted to address which is that Lynch & Frost aren't making this with fans' reaction in mind. I think that isn't completely the case, the James 'Just You' performance was an absolutely undeniable 'nod' (or middle finger up) to the fans? I think it at least shows an awareness of how fans have reacted to certain characters or scenes. I'm not suggesting they're reading Dugpa but I think they probably have a pretty good grasp of how fans reacted to and are reacting to TP.
I usually use white noise, possibly deep sounds. I like the electrical sounds in "Anthology Resouce vol 1" but unfortunately the sounds are often "interrupted" and not continuous. The youtube channel "Relaxing White Noise" has some incredible stuff.
As for my tone, it didn't feel aggressive when I wrote the post. Only a re-reading after two cups of coffee revealed to me the tone.

As for the "fans in mind", I agree. I don't think that L/F are either doing everything for fans' sake or just to troll. They have a story they want to say, and they added some elements for the fans, something that was possible probably by the fact that they had 18 hours to toy with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I don't know if Just You or anything else is specifically geared at fans. I think Lynch just likes what he likes and wants to highlight what he likes. Just You, for example, shows how James, like a lot of people in the town, is still stuck. The reveal of the two backup singers was surreal.
You could be right but I really really felt like that Just You performance was extremely tongue in cheek and very much directed at fans. It was quite funny and I'm not knocking it but I think it showed an awareness on the part of Lynch of audience reaction to certain scenes/characters. The 'James has always been cool line too. I always did like James by the way.
AnotherBlueRoseCase
RR Diner Member

Post by AnotherBlueRoseCase »

douglasb wrote:A white horse walks into a bar.

A Twin Peaks fan walks into a bar and has a pint.

"This pint tastes of vomit and cement, barman."

"You can't claim that until you've drunk the whole barrel."
Lynch on Trump, mid-2018: "He could go down as one of the greatest presidents in history."
Dreamy Audrey
RR Diner Member

Post by Dreamy Audrey »

AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:

Good one. Maybe the last drop will be so good that it'll make you forget that the rest tasted of vomit and I'm sure the bad taste is intentional :mrgreen:

I just started re-watching Part 15 again and noticed that there's still such a lack of Badalamenti's music. The Ed/Nadine and Ed/Norma stuff feels like a continuation or repetition of their usual story, but in the original series there would have been some emotional music. The Ed/Nadine conversation feels more like I'm watching my neighbours on the street or a cheap soap rather than a scene from an expensive TV show. I'm wondering whether Badalamenti was disappointed that he barely had anything to do because most of the few musical scores seem to be reused pieces from the old series (like Laura's theme) or FWWM rather than new compositions.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Well you are obviously trying to drink the whole barrel so you're a sucker for the barman's pitch :-)
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
AnotherBlueRoseCase
RR Diner Member

mtwentz wrote:

Well you are obviously trying to drink the whole barrel so you're a sucker for the barman's pitch :-)
A Twin Peaks fan walks into an unanswerable zinger from mtwentz.
Lynch on Trump, mid-2018: "He could go down as one of the greatest presidents in history."
AnotherBlueRoseCase
RR Diner Member

Last edited by AnotherBlueRoseCase on Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

mlsstwrt wrote:
LateReg wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:
I usually use white noise, possibly deep sounds. I like the electrical sounds in "Anthology Resouce vol 1" but unfortunately the sounds are often "interrupted" and not continuous. The youtube channel "Relaxing White Noise" has some incredible stuff.
As for my tone, it didn't feel aggressive when I wrote the post. Only a re-reading after two cups of coffee revealed to me the tone.

As for the "fans in mind", I agree. I don't think that L/F are either doing everything for fans' sake or just to troll. They have a story they want to say, and they added some elements for the fans, something that was possible probably by the fact that they had 18 hours to toy with.

I don't know if Just You or anything else is specifically geared at fans. I think Lynch just likes what he likes and wants to highlight what he likes. Just You, for example, shows how James, like a lot of people in the town, is still stuck. The reveal of the two backup singers was surreal.
You could be right but I really really felt like that Just You performance was extremely tongue in cheek and very much directed at fans. It was quite funny and I'm not knocking it but I think it showed an awareness on the part of Lynch of audience reaction to certain scenes/characters. The 'James has always been cool line too. I always did like James by the way.
Oh, yeah. I agree about all that. I guess I just meant he's not including anything just because fans want to see it. I've personally always liked that song, and even so I think Lynch is including mostly because he likes it, and as a result we can also say that he's doing it because so many dislike it. Which is what you were saying. :)
referendum
RR Diner Member

Post by referendum »

A twin peaks fan walks into a bar.

- ''ow that was really painful ''
'' that is a terrible joke''
'' yeah but i don't have a sense of humor, so then humor me''
'' wait is that a pere ubu reference?''
< gets up ( combs hair) and sits down>
< slides over to jukebox, plays james brown>
< returns to bar>
'''Excuse me i am uncomfortable here can you please RAISE THE BAR??''
'' can't you just sit here and chill out on this really nice retro chair with this fine fwench wottle of bine and this James Bond girl like an ordinary person?'
'' yes I can''
'' can i kick it?''
'' yes you can''
'' can i kick it?''
'' yes you can''
'' Well I'm gone''
<sits>
<pause>
<gets up>
<pause>
<sits down>
< a longer pause >
<jumps up jumps up and jumps around>
< does something significant and unknowable>
< fades in and out>
<preens>
< returns to bar>
'' what will you be having then, the same as usual?''
'' yes please. grits and grime. Grits and grime. With a whiskey shake.''
'' wait we don't do that menu anymore that was 25 years ago. Now we have a new menu''
'' i hate everything in here, I came for grits and grime and a whiskey shake. Can i at least have a glass of milk?'
'' we stopped serving milk last century''
'' can you please RAISE THE BAR?''
'' can't you just raise your chair?''
< pause, cleans floor, plays with phone.>
'' I can offer you a donut if you stop this passive aggressive stuff.''
'' I don't want your shit ass donut''
'' oh what, you NEED it?''
'' what is this, a kindergarten? Cape Fear? ''
'' wait, i thought this was supposed to be a joke''
'' you thought wrong. Where's the punchline? There is no punchline.''
'' oh yeah. sorry i forgot. Audrey. I am going to gaslight you by never using your name?''
'' what the fuck? I am not even real, You fuck.''
'' yes you are''
'' am I?''
''er. what is happening here? There are too many conflicting elements''
'' hi i just wandered in from next door.''
'' what? who the fuck are you? Linda? Tina?''
'' i was just hoping you could lend me abit of sugar''
< video: nina simone sings sugar in your bowl>
<shoots self>

etc

[edit] [ extended blu-ray edition]
Last edited by referendum on Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:25 pm, edited 20 times in total.
''let's not overthink this opportunity''
AnotherBlueRoseCase
RR Diner Member

referendum wrote:A twin peaks fan walks into a bar.
='' hello can you please RAISE THE BAR??''
'' what will you be having sir, the same as usual?''
'' yes please. I want grits and grime. With a shake.''
'' wait we don't do that menu anymore that was 25 years ago. Now we have a new menu''
='' i hate everything in here, I came for grits and grime. Can i have a glass of milk?'
'' we stopped serving milk last century''
'' can you please RAISE THE BAR?''
'' I can offer you a donut if you stop this passive aggressive stuff.''
'' I don't want your shit ass donut''
'' wait i thought this was supposed to be a joke''
'' you thought wrong. Where's the punchline?''
'' oh yeah. sorry i forgot. Audrey. I am going to gaslight you by never using your name?''
'' what the fuck? I am not even real, You fuck.''
'' yes you are''
'' am I?''
''er. what is happening here? There are too many conflicting elements''
'' hi i just wandered in from next door.''
'' what?''

etc
Well, that's Season 4 scripted, then. One line per episode, spoken by a rota of two different Dougies, two Mr Cs, twelve Gordon Coles and two Dougie-C-Cole Siamese triplets skipping hand in hand round a Chartres-size shrine to the show's bashful writer-director.
AhmedKhalifa
Roadhouse Member

Post by AhmedKhalifa »

Part 15 was infinitely better than most of THE RETURN so far, and the FWWM connection is pleasing, but it wasn't enough to sway me. The Log Lady scenes were very moving, and I think Coop is finally waking up. But all the problems that have been there since the beginning are still there, and that final scene at The Roadhouse was just plain awful. Two weeks to go, and the profound disappointment continues.
"That's what I need, a clean place, reasonably priced."
pinballmars
Roadhouse Member

Post by pinballmars »

LateReg wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:
mlsstwrt wrote:
Me too, ASMR is awesome.

Haven't seen the latest episode yet but (kind of) looking forward to.

Yaxomoxay - that was an unusual spurt of aggression from you! Very out of character. Honestly I think at this point I'm going to find it hard to care much about Ed and Norma for the reasons others have stated. I cared about them a LOT in the original but at this point one or two scenes aren't necessarily going to immediately rekindle those old feelings. I would hope none of us are so attached to being disappointed that we're going to criticise no matter what but I think at this point it's going to be very difficult or impossible to salvage this as a whole. Still hoping for a great finale though.

Just one point I wanted to address which is that Lynch & Frost aren't making this with fans' reaction in mind. I think that isn't completely the case, the James 'Just You' performance was an absolutely undeniable 'nod' (or middle finger up) to the fans? I think it at least shows an awareness of how fans have reacted to certain characters or scenes. I'm not suggesting they're reading Dugpa but I think they probably have a pretty good grasp of how fans reacted to and are reacting to TP.

I try to avoid Overcooked Reddit-style Fan Theory, but after ep. 15 and seeing James's attempt to interact with Renee, a woman with a husband whom James has irked in the past with the attention that he gives her, I'm starting to think that the "Just You" scene in THE RETURN was all in James's head. He's singing while Renee is alone and crying over his song. What a piece of redemption for the lovelorn!

It's the exact same version of the song from 1990, too, complete with bass and percussion that are nowhere on the Roadhouse stage with James and his backup singers, which only makes the scene more fantasy-like, in retrospect. It's a simple song. They could have recorded a fresh version very quickly if they wanted, but James Marshall said in an interview that Lynch didn't even consider it. He was intent on using the old track. I think there was a reason for that and I think it was more than a poke in the ribs for old Peaks fans.
Last edited by pinballmars on Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deep Thought
RR Diner Member

Post by Deep Thought »

pinballmars wrote: I'm starting to think that the "Just You" scene in THE RETURN was all in James's head.
+1 I agree, but thank God it is not in my head.
There's your roast beef and cheese.
Aqwell
RR Diner Member

Post by Aqwell »

I watch several reviewers of the show on YT (all very positive about it naturally, for the most part) but even if I don't share their enthusiasm it's always interesting. For example, this one from last episode:

The 3/15 idea is, retrospectively, very cool... :shock:
(the wait, not so much)
Rialto
RR Diner Member

Post by Rialto »

mlsstwrt wrote:
Aqwell wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:I will watch some hula dancers dance for me... you know, it's a relaxation technique. ;)
I watch ASMR videos on youtube with my headphones, it's nice.
Me too, ASMR is awesome.
There are some ASMR recordings of Laura Palmer's Secret Diary floating about on YouTube