Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group

Moderators: BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne, Brad D, Annie

User avatar
RedRum
Roadhouse Member
Posts: 71
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:17 am

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Postby RedRum » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:42 pm

yaxomoxay wrote:
Well, Steampunk all the way!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Its the perfect metaphor...

I wouldn't be suprised now if the ending is....

Audrey horne wakes up from her comma and it was all just a dream with the cast around her bed in a Wizard of Oz rip off.
User avatar
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member
Posts: 767
Joined: Tue May 23, 2017 4:50 pm

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Postby yaxomoxay » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:46 pm

RedRum wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:
Well, Steampunk all the way!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Its the perfect metaphor...

I wouldn't be suprised now if the ending is....

Audrey horne wakes up from her comma and it was all just a dream with the cast around her bed in a Wizard of Oz rip off.


Audrey is in a punctuation mark???? (Sorry, I had to :) )



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
RedRum
Roadhouse Member
Posts: 71
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:17 am

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Postby RedRum » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:52 pm

yaxomoxay wrote:
RedRum wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:
Well, Steampunk all the way!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Its the perfect metaphor...

I wouldn't be suprised now if the ending is....

Audrey horne wakes up from her comma and it was all just a dream with the cast around her bed in a Wizard of Oz rip off.


Audrey is in a punctuation mark???? (Sorry, I had to :) )



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Two ways to take that...

Either you are a pompous ass, or a thoughtful intellect, let’s hope it’s the latter, and my response if it is;

Yes I get it, she is just a character and twin peaks is just a series, but as I mentioned earlier 26 years is enough time for the original to have influenced the course of people’s lives. This is the reason people now feel so strongly about season three. I could forgive Lynch for a poorly made season, but a coherent one that didn't modify the orriginal.

What we have however, is nothing short of a purposeful dismantling of everything that made Twin Peaks special.
User avatar
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member
Posts: 767
Joined: Tue May 23, 2017 4:50 pm

Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Postby yaxomoxay » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:08 pm

RedRum wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:
RedRum wrote:
Its the perfect metaphor...

I wouldn't be suprised now if the ending is....

Audrey horne wakes up from her comma and it was all just a dream with the cast around her bed in a Wizard of Oz rip off.


Audrey is in a punctuation mark???? (Sorry, I had to :) )



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Two ways to take that...

Either you are a pompous ass, or a thoughtful intellect, let’s hope it’s the latter, and my response if it is;

Yes I get it, she is just a character and twin peaks is just a series, but as I mentioned earlier 26 years is enough time for the original to have influenced the course of people’s lives. This is the reason people now feel so strongly about season three. I could forgive Lynch for a poorly made season, but a coherent one that didn't modify the orriginal.

What we have however, is nothing short of a purposeful dismantling of everything that made Twin Peaks special.


Third way, I am a thoughtful pompous intellectual ass.
I understand your frustration with the series, I truly do even if I do not share it. I know very well that this series changed many lives... it changed mine. However, you would admit that calling this series as a failure using absolutes while there are gazillions of posts here and on Reddit saying how great it is(*), while Showtime CEO is ok with a new season, while CBS is claiming improved revenues due to Twin Peaks, and while virtually every podcast and review (even from publications of the caliber of the NYT) is a bit... pompous, to use your word.

(*) no, I don't subscribe to the hypothesis that many fans would accept anything. Some would, many won't.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dropkick23
Roadhouse Member
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:05 pm

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Postby dropkick23 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:04 pm

RedRum wrote:Its official Twin Peaks died in episode 14.

Not only is season three an absolute travesty, I now think it should never have been made as it actually corrupts the orriginal.

Watching this is like watching leonardo da vinci take a permenent marker to the Mona Lisa.

Fuck you Lynch!


Good. grief. :lol:
User avatar
Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member
Posts: 336
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:31 pm

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Postby Hockey Mask » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:28 pm

RedRum wrote:Its official Twin Peaks died in episode 14.

Not only is season three an absolute travesty, I now think it should never have been made as it actually corrupts the orriginal.

Watching this is like watching leonardo da vinci take a permenent marker to the Mona Lisa.

Fuck you Lynch!

Suck it up, Buttercup.
User avatar
AhmedKhalifa
Roadhouse Member
Posts: 87
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:28 pm

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Postby AhmedKhalifa » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:37 pm

Episode 14. What is there to say? I liked the sequence in the woods and the revelation of the Fireman. Sarah Palmer's scene was frightening, but jarring as well. The tone in this episode was way off for me. And what about that atrocious sequence where our beloved James sits with a young body guard with a green dish washing glove, talking about his destiny in TP? Gordon Cole's dream sequence...well, it was self-indulgent to the extreme, and having Monica Bellucia play herself??? This is TWIN PEAKS: THE RETURN? A return to what, exactly? I am a die-hard fan of the original series and when watching this new series I don't feel like I am returning to that darkly magical place at all. And let's not talk about that song at the Roadhouse? Lissie (an artist who covered Lady Gaga's BAD ROMANCE?????) singing a rock ballad to a swaying hipster crowd? Lynch, what is happening here? WHAT. IS. HAPPENING???
"That's what I need, a clean place, reasonably priced."
dronerstone
RR Diner Member
Posts: 494
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:31 pm

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Postby dronerstone » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:49 pm

I know this IS the place for the profoundly disappointed, but may I just add that "The Return" is NOT a reboot? Several of the involved people already pointed this out.
User avatar
AhmedKhalifa
Roadhouse Member
Posts: 87
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:28 pm

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Postby AhmedKhalifa » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:03 pm

I also think part of the problem with TPTR, and the reason why a lot of newbies like it despite its experimental nature, is that it feels too contemporary, compared to the dreamy timelessness of the original. The Roadhouse numbers add to that feeling as well, and will sure date the series to some extent in the future. Strange, since, to me, after more than 25 years, and with the exception of the technical limitations of its time, the original TP never felt dated to me, especially the gorgeous, dreamy, poignant bits in The Roadhouse.
"That's what I need, a clean place, reasonably priced."
baxter
Great Northern Member
Posts: 504
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:12 pm

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Postby baxter » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:16 pm

Yeah, the new series is very contemporary in a way that the original simply wasn't (at least in the look and feel- the structure of the first one owed a lot to contemporary conventions in soap operas and cop shows).

Last night was enjoyable for me, but the CGI really is shit. I know it is probably intentional, and I know that it is faithfully similar to Lynch's art work, but sometimes it grates a little. Though of course, some of the really, really shite effects in the second series aren't any better!

I have this nagging feeling that the giant sequences would have looked better back in the day than they do now shot digitally but who knows. It's not an option- this wasn't made back in the day!
baxter
Great Northern Member
Posts: 504
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:12 pm

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Postby baxter » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:17 pm

I also wonder how much is pure artistic intent. and how much is just trying to get the whole story done within budget.
mlsstwrt
RR Diner Member
Posts: 431
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:35 am

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Postby mlsstwrt » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:27 pm

Let me ask the yay-sayers in this thread. Even to you does not calling this 'The greatest hour of television ever made' (as many in the main thread seem to be doing) seem radically over the top?

Do those of you who loved this think it ranked up there with the Pilot or Episode 14 say? I'm genuinely interested.

That green glove boy scene was ATROCIOUS. Maybe you have to be a Brit to understand how much that grated. When the guy used cockney rhyming slam (snappin' 'is Gregory (i.e. Gregory Peck, Neck) my jaw dropped. Cockney rhyming slam in Twin Peaks. I've lived in England for 40 years and never actually heard someone use cockney rhyming slang. Maybe if I go into the right East End boozer, they will, I don't know, I don't go there. But in.....frigging.... Twin Peaks.

That aside, just introducing this new character at this stage, this poverty Marvel superhero, what is the point of this. Lynch and Frost sat down and crafted the original. Here they are just putting their random ideas up on screen. Lynch's damn dream about Bellucci. How can anyone think this isn't self indulgent clap trap of the lowest order?

I'm afraid my comments are going to become more and more hostile as we go along because I'm genuinely pretty angry at this point. And I hope the smart and decent 'pro' posters will take that into account. You seem like cool, intelligent people and I'm not trying to offend but, like you, this has been a big part of my life for 25 years. And it's being ruined. And there's nothing I can do to stop it. Ok, in retrospect I should never have watched this. I wish I could go back a few months and make the decision not to. But what TP fan could have decided not to watched it because it might ruin their memory of the original. Maybe 1 in 100,000.

So I'll watch it to the bitter end but I doubt I'll ever spend quiet afternoon daydreaming about the world of Twin Peaks again. It's a big loss and I'm actually angry at Lynch for this. So yeah, fuck you Lynch. You should have stuck to the TM, homes.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member
Posts: 1105
Joined: Sun May 10, 2015 5:19 pm

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Postby LateReg » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:35 pm

mlsstwrt wrote:Let me ask the yay-sayers in this thread. Even to you does not calling this 'The greatest hour of television ever made' (as many in the main thread seem to be doing) seem radically over the top?

Do those of you who loved this think it ranked up there with the Pilot or Episode 14 say? I'm genuinely interested.

That green glove boy scene was ATROCIOUS. Maybe you have to be a Brit to understand how much that grated. When the guy used cockney rhyming slam (snappin' 'is Gregory (i.e. Gregory Peck, Neck) my jaw dropped. Cockney rhyming slam in Twin Peaks. I've lived in England for 40 years and never actually heard someone use cockney rhyming slang. Maybe if I go into the right East End boozer, they will, I don't know, I don't go there. But in.....frigging.... Twin Peaks.

That aside, just introducing this new character at this stage, this poverty Marvel superhero, what is the point of this. Lynch and Frost sat down and crafted the original. Here they are just putting their random ideas up on screen. Lynch's damn dream about Bellucci. How can anyone think this isn't self indulgent clap trap of the lowest order?

I'm afraid my comments are going to become more and more hostile as we go along because I'm genuinely pretty angry at this point. And I hope the smart and decent 'pro' posters will take that into account. You seem like cool, intelligent people and I'm not trying to offend but, like you, this has been a big part of my life for 25 years. And it's being ruined. And there's nothing I can do to stop it. Ok, in retrospect I should never have watched this. I wish I could go back a few months and make the decision not to. But what TP fan could have decided not to watched it because it might ruin their memory of the original. Maybe 1 in 100,000.

So I'll watch it to the bitter end but I doubt I'll ever spend quiet afternoon daydreaming about the world of Twin Peaks again. It's a big loss and I'm actually angry at Lynch for this. So yeah, fuck you Lynch. You should have stuck to the TM, homes.


All I have to say is I thought the Bellucci thing was positively brilliant. As I texted to a friend today: "So what's hilarious is that yesterday morning I found out thru a stupid Google search without even clicking on the page that Monica Bellucci might be in the episode..and I've been waiting and waiting for her appearance, and I was mad that I knew she was going to pop up. I had thought she might play a lodge queen or something. But then knowing she might be in it made it even better because I never in a million years would have guessed she was playing herself because Cole has recurring dreams of her! The one spoiler I knew I still couldn't predict. She asks who is the dreamer and Lynch is in the scene, an awesome moment signifying that on one level he is obviously the dreamer (director). Its been recently raised that this whole entire thing could be dreamt by somebody, so if Lynch is dreaming it onto the screen and then somebody else within his dream is also dreaming it, and then there's doppelgangers that are manufactured and all that stuff about tulpas stemming from the mind and gaining their own consciousness, that's layer upon layer of thought as a central and now explicitly stated idea in the film which is pretty great. It's interesting in the Bellucci sequence that she is a real life person...it really calls attention to things taking place in the real world and opens up certain possibilities. To go along with Bellucci being a real person I think it's fascinating that we also now have a totally unreal person in Twin Peaks in the form of the eyes sewn shut Japanese woman."
User avatar
Aqwell
RR Diner Member
Posts: 101
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:03 am
Location: Far from here

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Postby Aqwell » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:14 pm

mtwentz wrote:Using the Red Room for slot machines and cherry pies is something you may or may not like, but I for one certainly do not see it as a big break thematically or in tone from the original series.
:shock: :shock: :shock: We fans have really big differences of opinion.
I was stunned then I first see it, even worse than the puke contest between Mr C and the real Dougie Jones, which the last won in the form of a one-way ticket to the Blacklodge.
Seriously it's as if a mini Yoda floating in the air said Luke to take all the money and run off. Quirky, yes, but you can't mix goofy humor with the most magical element of the show without ruining it.

mlsstwrt wrote:That aside, just introducing this new character at this stage, this poverty Marvel superhero, what is the point of this.
To introduce the new hero of TP, the one who will Defeat Mr C in episode 18 with his magical green glove? At that point I don't give a damn anymore, and will be happy with an utterly crazy ending (characters singing, Tammy Preston pole dancing in a thong...). As the proverb says: Plus on est de fous, plus on rit.

Spoiler:
David, you lucky old bastard... :mrgreen:
Image
mlsstwrt
RR Diner Member
Posts: 431
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:35 am

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Postby mlsstwrt » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:20 pm

LateReg wrote:
mlsstwrt wrote:Let me ask the yay-sayers in this thread. Even to you does not calling this 'The greatest hour of television ever made' (as many in the main thread seem to be doing) seem radically over the top?

Do those of you who loved this think it ranked up there with the Pilot or Episode 14 say? I'm genuinely interested.

That green glove boy scene was ATROCIOUS. Maybe you have to be a Brit to understand how much that grated. When the guy used cockney rhyming slam (snappin' 'is Gregory (i.e. Gregory Peck, Neck) my jaw dropped. Cockney rhyming slam in Twin Peaks. I've lived in England for 40 years and never actually heard someone use cockney rhyming slang. Maybe if I go into the right East End boozer, they will, I don't know, I don't go there. But in.....frigging.... Twin Peaks.

That aside, just introducing this new character at this stage, this poverty Marvel superhero, what is the point of this. Lynch and Frost sat down and crafted the original. Here they are just putting their random ideas up on screen. Lynch's damn dream about Bellucci. How can anyone think this isn't self indulgent clap trap of the lowest order?

I'm afraid my comments are going to become more and more hostile as we go along because I'm genuinely pretty angry at this point. And I hope the smart and decent 'pro' posters will take that into account. You seem like cool, intelligent people and I'm not trying to offend but, like you, this has been a big part of my life for 25 years. And it's being ruined. And there's nothing I can do to stop it. Ok, in retrospect I should never have watched this. I wish I could go back a few months and make the decision not to. But what TP fan could have decided not to watched it because it might ruin their memory of the original. Maybe 1 in 100,000.

So I'll watch it to the bitter end but I doubt I'll ever spend quiet afternoon daydreaming about the world of Twin Peaks again. It's a big loss and I'm actually angry at Lynch for this. So yeah, fuck you Lynch. You should have stuck to the TM, homes.


All I have to say is I thought the Bellucci thing was positively brilliant. As I texted to a friend today: "So what's hilarious is that yesterday morning I found out thru a stupid Google search without even clicking on the page that Monica Bellucci might be in the episode..and I've been waiting and waiting for her appearance, and I was mad that I knew she was going to pop up. I had thought she might play a lodge queen or something. But then knowing she might be in it made it even better because I never in a million years would have guessed she was playing herself because Cole has recurring dreams of her! The one spoiler I knew I still couldn't predict. She asks who is the dreamer and Lynch is in the scene, an awesome moment signifying that on one level he is obviously the dreamer (director). Its been recently raised that this whole entire thing could be dreamt by somebody, so if Lynch is dreaming it onto the screen and then somebody else within his dream is also dreaming it, and then there's doppelgangers that are manufactured and all that stuff about tulpas stemming from the mind and gaining their own consciousness, that's layer upon layer of thought as a central and now explicitly stated idea in the film which is pretty great. It's interesting in the Bellucci sequence that she is a real life person...it really calls attention to things taking place in the real world and opens up certain possibilities. To go along with Bellucci being a real person I think it's fascinating that we also now have a totally unreal person in Twin Peaks in the form of the eyes sewn shut Japanese woman."


See, I absolutely detest that idea. It's just to each their own I guess but to me the above is Quentin Tarantino getting it absolutely right about Lynch but 25 years too early.

Return to “Season 3 (2017) The Return”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests