One reason to worry about the quality of Season 3 (SPOILERS)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Agent327
Roadhouse Member

Re: One reason to worry about the quality of Season 3

Post by Agent327 »

underthefan wrote: I totally agree with you that it is perfectly acceptable to have speculative concerns if you were a big fan of elements of the old series. In fact, if I was looking for the new series to be like Season 1, I have a feeling I would end up disappointed, too. I think the original series captured magic in a bottle and I find that it is very, very hard to repeat that, especially if your intention is to do so. In fact, I think the more you go for that, the more it could lead to disastrous results, as evidenced in many recent show revivals (like The X Files or... shudder... Fuller House). The new series might create magic just as well, but perhaps in a different way. At the end of the day, it doesn't take anything away from appreciation of the original.
Well said.

As I've said a couple of times on this forum, I look at the new series as an incredible bonus. Something we had no right to hope for or expect, and yet here we are.
With that overall mindset I don't think I will be disappointed. That mindset has served me well in the past....

I also have a feeling that the overall response here will be highly positive, and that people will have a lot of fun with theories and all possible corners of conversation.
You might get some "This is not Twin Peaks to me...." etc. But fans seem to be ready and likely will be grateful.
underthefan wrote: But I do think you will find on board many people who are expecting/hoping for/wishing for return to Season 1 (even if it's sometimes stated covertly or in between the lines), and I think those are the ones who will end up most disappointed.
I haven't seen many giving off the vibe that they expect things to be just like Season 1, but maybe they are out there....
If so, I think it's relatively safe to say they could easily end up disappointed on that front, sure.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

I believe the way in which the new series will be similar to the original is that it will again be a (successful) mixture of many different genres and elements, but it will expand the world of TP in a way similar to how FWWM expanded the world of the original series (for those willing to take a deeper look into it). I honestly hope that everyone on here will find at least something to love/appreciate about the show, and will not let their own expectations affect their views of it. Best to go in it with a perfectly open mind...
StrangerDanger
RR Diner Member

Post by StrangerDanger »

I think ppl (including myself) get kinda angsty because they feel like a convict facing release after 25 long years. How to handle a return to Twin Peaks? I almost don't want to go back now that return is a few days away.
leeeET's ROCK!
[ I've permanently left the forum ... Dugpa is a dodgy name, plus l'm too busy. Keep the :?: :idea: ]
mlsstwrt
RR Diner Member

Post by mlsstwrt »

StrangerDanger wrote:I think ppl (including myself) get kinda angsty because they feel like a convict facing release after 25 long years. How to handle a return to Twin Peaks? I almost don't want to go back now that return is a few days away.
Yeah, I'm starting to get more anxious as the days tick by. But it's definitely a good anxiety.

I don't really care at all but am curious to see how new viewers (meaning people who haven't seen the first two seasons) will react to the show. I think the majority will be utterly bewildered and tune out and a significant minority will be gripped enough to immediately go back and watch the first two seasons in time for the next episodes of Season 3.

I remember watching Twin Peaks for the first time when I was about 13. There had been a lot of hype (I'm in the UK and I think at that time it broadcast in the US first, I think) and I deliberately avoided the show because I was kind of against things that were very hyped (rebellious teenager I guess, lol) but I flicked onto Twin Peaks by accident and was just instantly gripped (it was the scene with Donna and James in the woods) without having any idea what was going on. There was just something so mesmerising about it. I'm sure a lot of people are going to experience the same thing. I almost envy them, discovering Twin Peaks for the first time.
OrsonWelles
Roadhouse Member

Post by OrsonWelles »

I'm not too scared as I'm expecting Twin Peaks 3 to be a different thing. I think Lynch has made his best and most creative movies post-TP. Especially Mulholland Dr. and Inland Empire. So I'm expecting the world of Twin Peaks to be enriched with that side of Lynch's oeuvre. I'm expecting a dark continuation of Cooper's story, but also a great mix between the seedy and the humorous. Twin Peaks always was about both the light and the dark and I think it will remain so, but the dark will probably be darker.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

StrangerDanger wrote:I think ppl (including myself) get kinda angsty because they feel like a convict facing release after 25 long years. How to handle a return to Twin Peaks? I almost don't want to go back now that return is a few days away.
I feel ya...
Nighthawk
RR Diner Member

Post by Nighthawk »

AXX°N N. wrote:
Nighthawk wrote:Immersion aspect.
As others have pointed out, immersion is the wrong word to use here. We have actors quoting from their old movies (senor droolcup), we have Peggy Lipton played against a Mod Squad co-star which has been confirmed through interviews to be a knowing and self-aware choice, we have Russ Tamblyn reunited with Beymer from West Side Story, we have references to other films (how is that immersive? It's inter-textual!) including Hitchcock & Preminger, James was modeled off Rebel Without a Cause, etc. You could fill an entire book with this stuff, and several exist that you can read which labor over the inter-textual qualities of the show, and that have interviews, for example with Harley Peyton, and several directors outright naming the many instances they have of reference and homage. I believe Peyton has stated inter-textual referencing was a whole, wide aspect of the show they thought about. And Lynch does this in his other movies because they modeled Twin Peaks off his films -- Wizard of Oz in Wild at Heart, old Hollywood in Mulholland Drive, a scene in Inland Empire is an outright recreation of a scene in Sunset Blvd. The show itself and the creators themselves are at odds with what you think the show was about.
I think immersion is actually the most important thing here. You have to get involved into the life of the characters in the series. This is the main reason why Twin Peaks was such a powerful series, distancing by light years anything else on TV at the time. It conveyed a sense of reality, which made it at the same time gripping and terrifying. It's not that the series couldn't reference or imitate the outside world... it's the fact that it didn't dwell on it and created its own microcosm. It felt good while being in the original Twin Peaks, enjoying coffee, doughnuts, and cherry pie. And being uneasy at the same time while learning about Twin Peaks folks; some of them good, some bad, some quirky, and some other worldly. Now, I can't say for sure if Lynch intended for this to be main course or just a side dish. But, intentionally or not, that was what made Twin Peaks great. Feel free to disagree, it's just an opinion.
Skip Bittman
Roadhouse Member

Post by Skip Bittman »

It conveyed a sense of reality,
Don't understand this at all. The heightened melodrama of TP is as far from realism as you could get. DL in general is several continents away from realism. Surely surreality is vastly more important?

Immersion remains an utterly useless video game term that has no business being applied to film & TV. Are you people referring to suspension of disbelief?

Anyway, I was most annoyed we couldn't adjust the FOV for the Evil Coop scenes. Hopefully they'll release a patch and buff Andy's AI.
Agent327
Roadhouse Member

Post by Agent327 »

Skip Bittman wrote:
Don't understand this at all. The heightened melodrama of TP is as far from realism as you could get. DL in general is several continents away from realism. Surely surreality is vastly more important?
There is a hell of a lot more to the original series than simply "heightened melodrama". And it is in no way as FAR from realism as you could possibly get.

It is a spectrum, and one could easily dream up something way more surreal (the new series being one example, but you could take it even further than that). The old series had many 'grounded in reality' moments, and this matters greatly to most people. Not all, but most.
Immersion remains an utterly useless video game term that has no business being applied to film & TV. Are you people referring to suspension of disbelief?
I couldn't disagree more. (Unless you are being ironic).