Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Blu-ray 12/5/17

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

TwistedFate_L4
Roadhouse Member

Re: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Blu-ray 12/5/17

Post by TwistedFate_L4 »

I just wanted to say how much I love the cover of the bluray and I love how it fits with the "Complete Mystery" Blu-ray as well- they both look so good together. One with dual Lauras and the other with dual Coopers.
frompureair
Roadhouse Member

Post by frompureair »

Was wondering is there any footage of the bands from roadhouse? I know they filmed them all in one day was really hoping to see the process. I'm slowly going through this when I have time.
bowisneski
RR Diner Member

Post by bowisneski »

frompureair wrote:Was wondering is there any footage of the bands from roadhouse? I know they filmed them all in one day was really hoping to see the process. I'm slowly going through this when I have time.
None, unfortunately.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

mickeyfickey wrote:I just needed a place to vent and say this Blu Ray release has been an unmitigated disaster. Despite pre-ordering on the day it was announced, and as a Prime customer, Amazon doesn't even have a suggested shipping date, Showtime has none available despite saying it's in stock, and all the Best Buys and video stores around me aren't carrying it, or only carry the DVD. This should have been a slam dunk for the holiday season and instead they've completely missed that train. Really piss-poor job on CBS Home Entertainment's behalf.
100% agree sitt you, this has been a true disaster. Im in Sweden and the 2 or 3 online shops i usually order from are usually great sitt import titles like Dekalog, The Entire Mystety, Tarkovsky criterions and AEs, etc, etc.

I pre ordered the same dag it became av allable to do so. It was hassle after hassle and om the 22 of this Monty one copy sås finally up för ordet. I mngd 2 ger ut so hopefully 27 or 28 if im "lucky".. CGRRRR
mickeyfickey
Roadhouse Member

Post by mickeyfickey »

claaa7 wrote:
mickeyfickey wrote:I just needed a place to vent and say this Blu Ray release has been an unmitigated disaster. Despite pre-ordering on the day it was announced, and as a Prime customer, Amazon doesn't even have a suggested shipping date, Showtime has none available despite saying it's in stock, and all the Best Buys and video stores around me aren't carrying it, or only carry the DVD. This should have been a slam dunk for the holiday season and instead they've completely missed that train. Really piss-poor job on CBS Home Entertainment's behalf.
100% agree sitt you, this has been a true disaster. Im in Sweden and the 2 or 3 online shops i usually order from are usually great sitt import titles like Dekalog, The Entire Mystety, Tarkovsky criterions and AEs, etc, etc.

I pre ordered the same dag it became av allable to do so. It was hassle after hassle and om the 22 of this Monty one copy sås finally up för ordet. I mngd 2 ger ut so hopefully 27 or 28 if im "lucky".. CGRRRR
Good luck, dude. I'm hoping mine will finally get here the 27th or 28th as well. I guess all the waiting will make us appreciate it all the more.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

All the BTS stuff is incredible. Very surprising that Lynch gave those guys so much freedom.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Trudy Chelgren
RR Diner Member

Post by Trudy Chelgren »

I got the DVD, not the Blu Ray. I'm still amazed with the clarity of the image. Sure, there was compression in the stream, but it's beautiful. I noticed it more than any DVD I've owned.

The BTS insights are fascinating. When Lynch describes Freddie's fight with Bob, it sounds so much more visceral, disturbing, intimate and apocalyptic than what I experienced in Part 17. The light in Freddie's glove, "Bob distorts across the room", Bob's arms, the black rain. It sounds like it was too elaborate to carry out, which is a shame maybe. The final scene feels choppy.
David Locke
RR Diner Member

Post by David Locke »

Trudy Chelgren wrote:I got the DVD, not the Blu Ray. I'm still amazed with the clarity of the image. Sure, there was compression in the stream, but it's beautiful. I noticed it more than any DVD I've owned.

The BTS insights are fascinating. When Lynch describes Freddie's fight with Bob, it sounds so much more visceral, disturbing, intimate and apocalyptic than what I experienced in Part 17. The light in Freddie's glove, "Bob distorts across the room", Bob's arms, the black rain. It sounds like it was too elaborate to carry out, which is a shame maybe. The final scene feels choppy.
Agreed. I enjoyed Lynch narrating his vision for that scene far, far more than I do the final scene itself.
mtsi
RR Diner Member

Post by mtsi »

Those intense scenes of Lynch telling the actors how to feel and how to act actually detail what a fine actor he is himself. If you watch his jaw flex and tighten, you can quickly see how committed he is to every role. I loved it.

I will admit that the BTS videos are far more interesting than the show itself, at least to me....what could have been, so to speak. Perhaps with time, the show will grow on me more and these extras and outtakes will motivate me more? I hope so.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
We live inside a dream.
David Locke
RR Diner Member

Post by David Locke »

Yes the BTS really show how gifted a director - and director of actors - Lynch is. The way he's able to get that emotional performance from Sizemore, or Naomi's angry snapping at the detectives in Part 7, or anything else... it was very cool to see. Even a small bit like the black cop who delivers that line all giddily about having gotten Ike's whereabouts et al - it was very fun to see how Lynch directed him and encouraged him to play up his lines with body language and inflection to give it that off-kilter/larger-than-life Lynchian feel.

S3 is certainly fascinating, no denying that... it's just hard to get in the mood for a re-watch because, among other things, it's so very dark and depressing and morbid and grotesque.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

David Locke wrote:Yes the BTS really show how gifted a director - and director of actors - Lynch is. The way he's able to get that emotional performance from Sizemore, or Naomi's angry snapping at the detectives in Part 7, or anything else... it was very cool to see. Even a small bit like the black cop who delivers that line all giddily about having gotten Ike's whereabouts et al - it was very fun to see how Lynch directed him and encouraged him to play up his lines with body language and inflection to give it that off-kilter/larger-than-life Lynchian feel.

S3 is certainly fascinating, no denying that... it's just hard to get in the mood for a re-watch because, among other things, it's so very dark and depressing and morbid and grotesque.
I never saw Season 3 as dark and depressing. True, the ending comes like a punch in the gut, but I see it more as 'sober and somber' than dark and depressing: the human being's limitations on correcting the pains/wrongs of the past.

There was a lot of humor and lightheartedness about Season 3, as there was also quite a bit of violence.

For every Steven and Becky, there was an Ed and Norma. For every Cooper and Laura there was a Dougie and Janey-E.

It might also be said that in some ways the ending is 'hopeful'- yes, it appears Cooper and Laura are stuck in a sort of limbo, but at the same time, they may have finally defeated Judy (as evidenced by the electricity being blown out).
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
riesje
Roadhouse Member

Post by riesje »

David Locke wrote:Yes the BTS really show how gifted a director - and director of actors - Lynch is. The way he's able to get that emotional performance from Sizemore, or Naomi's angry snapping at the detectives in Part 7, or anything else... it was very cool to see. Even a small bit like the black cop who delivers that line all giddily about having gotten Ike's whereabouts et al - it was very fun to see how Lynch directed him and encouraged him to play up his lines with body language and inflection to give it that off-kilter/larger-than-life Lynchian feel.

Id say in every DL work there is darkness, morbid, but also quirky, sillyness. S3 isnt that much different.
David Locke
RR Diner Member

Post by David Locke »

I'm not even factoring in the ending, which to me is hard to see as anything but almost soul-crushingly despondent/Tragic (the Waggish piece is well-written but doesn't convince me otherwise). But the whole worldview as expressed by TR just seems to me very dour. Yes there's wackiness and fun and good-hearted people and love. But the hate and violence and misanthropy and various Lynchian grotesques trump the former by a high ratio IMO.

But even Dougie's comparatively light-hearted story just feels so impossibly sad to me. Other than its ending and some scenes with the brothers, it's got a kind of clinically depressed look at the soullessness of modern life & work... an incisive portrait, if not terribly original, but still there's just something that subjectively feels so horribly empty. TR exposes a rotting core at the center of a shiny, alluring world. Sometimes even the surface is rotten, too. Much of it is simply bleak, regardless of any assessments of the quality of the series.
HagbardCeline
RR Diner Member

Post by HagbardCeline »

David Locke wrote:I'm not even factoring in the ending, which to me is hard to see as anything but almost soul-crushingly despondent/Tragic (the Waggish piece is well-written but doesn't convince me otherwise). But the whole worldview as expressed by TR just seems to me very dour. Yes there's wackiness and fun and good-hearted people and love. But the hate and violence and misanthropy and various Lynchian grotesques trump the former by a high ratio IMO.

But even Dougie's comparatively light-hearted story just feels so impossibly sad to me. Other than its ending and some scenes with the brothers, it's got a kind of clinically depressed look at the soullessness of modern life & work... an incisive portrait, if not terribly original, but still there's just something that subjectively feels so horribly empty. TR exposes a rotting core at the center of a shiny, alluring world. Sometimes even the surface is rotten, too. Much of it is simply bleak, regardless of any assessments of the quality of the series.
Yeah, I think that's why I'm firmly in the "slightly disappointed" group. I was picturing a tightly written pay-TV version of the original series, and while I was enthralled, moved, amused, frightened, at different times, for something that Lynch had so much control over, it's so scattershot and choppy that I couldn't help but be let down a bit.
riesje
Roadhouse Member

Post by riesje »

David Locke wrote:I'm not even factoring in the ending, which to me is hard to see as anything but almost soul-crushingly despondent/Tragic (the Waggish piece is well-written but doesn't convince me otherwise). But the whole worldview as expressed by TR just seems to me very dour. Yes there's wackiness and fun and good-hearted people and love. But the hate and violence and misanthropy and various Lynchian grotesques trump the former by a high ratio IMO.

you talk about it like its the first time you see this from DkL, is this the first time you seen work by him? Because this is pretty much mandatory in all his work, right from Eraserhead up to Inland Empire. That feeling there is something rotten and dirty, grotesque behind that locked door, or underground, or at night, combined with almost childish innocence sense of humor and worldview. Thats what always attracted me to his work, and thats what we get in season 3, jacked up, and unfiltered yes, but still unequivocally Lynch.