Episode 18

Moderators: Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne, Brad D

Henrys Hair

Re: Episode 18

Postby Henrys Hair » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:42 pm

The Andrew Packard ending has got to be the worst cliffhanger ending so far, especially considering it came before a long holiday hiatus when viewers were already bound to fall away. It's not very interesting even in theory, but how it's handled makes it even worse. Andrew just strolls out, spouts some cliches, and then (practically shrugging himself) looks offscreen and we cut to black. Gee, I wonder why people weren't itching to tune in a month later...

Especially telegraphing it in the same scene. 'Oh look! Piper Laurie's talking about her dead brother Andrew, we're seeing a photo of him for the first time ever and it's a photo of that well known character actors Dan O'Herlihy, whose face you'll recognise even if you don't know his name! I doubt he'll ever show up!' Ahem! ;)[/quote]

Don't we see a photo of Andrew Packard much earlier in the show - the fish-in-the-percolator scene? On edit - no we didn't. For some reason I always thought there was a photo of Andrew shown much earlier in the series.
Last edited by Henrys Hair on Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Henrys Hair

Postby Henrys Hair » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:00 pm

LostInTheMovies wrote:Usually the James-Evelyn scenes are terribly written, but at least attempt visual interest. The garage scene in this episode is so uninteresting to look at. A nothing composition, all in one take with a slight push - I think Dunham is trying to echo his technique in ep. 1 when he shoots Audrey & Ben this same way, but for reasons that don't need enumerating it does not have the same effect here.

I re-watched this episode today and I thought the James-Evelyn garage scene might in fact be the dullest scene in the show's dullest plot. None of it helped by James' choice of jumper, which heaps an extra layer of grey over an already-colourless scene.

Like you, I also wish we'd been shown more about the town's reaction to Leland's death. The wake last episode and headline in Roger Hardy's paper suggest he's still viewed as a pillar of the community while Ben Horne at least acknowledges his murderous activities. It always seems strange that the mystery that gripped the whole town is never really mentioned by the townsfolk after it's solved. Surely Bobby, for instance, would at least note in passing his shock at finding out his former girlfriend (still only dead about a fortnight) was killed by her father.
Audrey Horne

Postby Audrey Horne » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:54 pm

I’m thinking a lot of that also has to do with when things were filmed, and actors performing scenes in later episodes before the Killer reveal episode even aired. Ie. Dana Ashbrook filming a Bobby scene in episode eighteen when episode fourteen might be airing in a few weeks and he (the actor) still wouldn’t know who the killer is. I still think a lot of the actors in the wake scene didn’t know who the wake was for.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?

Return to “Season 2 (1990-1991)”