Blu Ray- Essential Movies to Have

Off Topic discussion goes here.

Moderators: Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Jerry Horne

Forum rules
Friendly off-topic discussions are welcome.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Blu Ray- Essential Movies to Have

Post by mtwentz »

Now that I FINALLY bought a Blu Ray player just so I can can all the extras for the Limited Event Series, I will also plan to buy a few other Blu Rays. I'm not a believer in gigantic collections-not willing to spend that amount of $$$$- but I would like to have a few Blu Ray discs besides Twin Peaks. Here is what I am planning on so far:

-2001: A Space Odyssey
-House That Screamed (obscure Spanish horror film from 1968 that recently came out on Blu Ray)
-Sound of Music (great to pull out for a family watch now and then)
-Oliver! (see sound of music above)
-Barry Lyndon (never seen it, but since it's Kubrick, know I'll probably like it)

I would like to expand beyond the choices above. I am just curious as to what everyone else considers an essential Blu Ray to have in their collection, Criterion or otherwise. Thanks for any input you are able to give!

Edit: I've heard a title called "Planet Earth 2" is a must have. Can anyone vouch for or refute this?
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Re: Blu Ray- Essential Movies to Have

Post by AgentEcho »

Baraka and Samsara - Both are great "demo" Blu Rays, to test the prowess of your display and audio, and they are also both great cinematic experiences, albeit non-traditional, non-narrative and very idiosyncratic (to the point where certain people may not jive with its style or intentions).
konoyaro

Post by konoyaro »

For me, the quality of BluRay and being able to have a "hard copy" of films I like make it a useful medium to collect. Two I might suggest you check out are:
Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence
In The Mood For Love

The first, features Bowie as the lead where he displays some very good acting. I believe he said it was one of the few films he was proud of.
The second as it effectively uses mood and texture as a primary character in the film - something of an important element to Lynch films.

Both films are on the Criterion label who also have a relationship with several Lynch films. Bonus is they have sales a couple times a year.
bowisneski
RR Diner Member

Post by bowisneski »

Not sure if you enjoy the film but, if you do, I'd highly suggest Rocky Horror. It is a beautiful filmic transfer and the colors really pop.
dreamshake
RR Diner Member

Post by dreamshake »

mtwentz wrote:Now that I FINALLY bought a Blu Ray player just so I can can all the extras for the Limited Event Series, I will also plan to buy a few other Blu Rays. I'm not a believer in gigantic collections-not willing to spend that amount of $$$$- but I would like to have a few Blu Ray discs besides Twin Peaks. Here is what I am planning on so far:

-2001: A Space Odyssey
-House That Screamed (obscure Spanish horror film from 1968 that recently came out on Blu Ray)
-Sound of Music (great to pull out for a family watch now and then)
-Oliver! (see sound of music above)
-Barry Lyndon (never seen it, but since it's Kubrick, know I'll probably like it)

I would like to expand beyond the choices above. I am just curious as to what everyone else considers an essential Blu Ray to have in their collection, Criterion or otherwise. Thanks for any input you are able to give!

Edit: I've heard a title called "Planet Earth 2" is a must have. Can anyone vouch for or refute this?
literally all of the bbc nature documentaries like planet earth 2, life, blue planet, etc., are worth getting on blu-ray if you enjoy that sort of thing.

other than that, I don't have any specific suggestions but I would just say get the movies you love. if you're really looking for a great, well-made and designed artifact with good special features there are lots of great boutique blu ray distributors nowadays and some of them are bound to have great editions of films you love. check out arrow video, shout/scream factory, criterion obviously, kino, cohen films, twilight time, olive films for classic hollywood & b-movies, or if you got a region-free player, indacator.

blu-ray.com is also a great resource. they have good reviews for picture and sound quality on discs and their forums also have threads for just about every great distributor.