Introductions

Off Topic discussion goes here.

Moderators: Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Jerry Horne

Forum rules
Friendly off-topic discussions are welcome.
kelvah
Roadhouse Member

Post by kelvah »

Hello everybody!

I'm kelvah from Milan, Italy. I'm 24 years old and I'm a digital communication student. I discovered dugpa's website many years ago and I loved it immediately (thank you dugpa for all that you do for lynch fans). I discovered DL in 1997 when I saw Blue Velvet on tv. I love almost all of his work, and I love his approach to art.
I'm a DL.com member and sometimes you can find me in the X Room.
Medard

Post by Medard »

Hi everyone.

I'm Médard, almost 22 years old and from the Netherlands.
I've been a huge fan since I saw the first season of Twin Peaks in 2003.
My first encounter with Lynch's work was the Dune movie, which didn't do much for me back when I was around the age of 13.

Later I cought The Elephantman on the TV and it touched me. Especially the end with Adagio for Strings.
A couple of years after that I watched Lost Highway on DVD and it facinated me, with it's abstract forms of story telling and the intense use of music (just like the ending of The Elephantman).
After I saw Twin Peaks season one, I watched Fire Walk With Me on TV, which was very strange but beautiful and again intense.
After that I watched all the other Lynch movies and finally the second season of Twin Peaks.

I still haven't seen Inland Empire and I suspect that I will watch it on DVD, since a theatre release is highly doubtful in the Netherlands.
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

Teopeaks wrote:Hi Richard, before your trip, check this site:

http://www.mulholland-drive.net/studies/locations.htm

Maybe you know it already, it's really cool.
Wow Teopeaks! I've never sen that site before. The location list is amazing! Best of all, I live just south of most of thos locations. :)
LauraPalmer
Roadhouse Member

Post by LauraPalmer »

hi!!

i am amy - 34 from ohio. i have been a lynch fan since twin peaks originally came out (although i remember seeing ads for blue velvet when i was a kid and being intrigued by them). my husband is also a huge fan. i have a small david lynch collection that includes the twin peaks board game, an autographed blue velvet poster, a huge italian fwwm poster and more.

besides loving david lynch, i also love tori amos and hello kitty (go figure!)

:)
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Hello all

I'm Rich , an older baby boomer fan, in fact i am semi retired these days.
i love Long Island and the New York area, but i plan to move back to Northern California U S in May. Winters here in NY are just not happening for me. Maybe I'll head south to wind around Mulholland Drive, I may forgo the Lost Highway however.

Oh yeah, i decided this afternoon i am an investigative journalist.

Admin and Mods are great and much stuff to check out here.
Later
Hawk

Post by Hawk »

Hello, I'm calling myself Hawk. I'm 22 and from Maryland. I first became a fan of David Lynch when I rented the weird Twin Peaks pilot/wannabe-film extended version on VHS about six years ago. Soon after that I picked up the first season on DVD and then saw Blue Velvet and a bunch of others and now here I am.
You're on the path. You don't need to know where it leads. Just follow.
Asterisk
Roadhouse Member

Post by Asterisk »

My name is Asterisk, although obviously it's not really, I'm 37 in early March 07 (birthday movie will be Inland Empire this year!), and I live in the UK.

I've been a big fan of David Lynch since Fire Walk With Me came out at the cinema. It was the first thing I'd ever seen by him, having missed the Twin Peaks series on TV. I immediately sought out the Twin Peaks videos and watched the whole series very quickly.

(Actually, my first exposure to Lynch was The Elephant Man on rental VHS in the early 80s, but I don't remember much about it other than watching it with my folks after Sunday lunch.)

Blue Velvet was my next Lynch film, on BBC2 TV late one night. I thought it was terrifying. Almost as terrifying as the vision of Bob at the foot of Laura's bed. Now that is scary!

My favourite Lynch film is Fire Walk With Me, which I think is absolutely genius. It's also my opinion that it stands alone pretty damn well too, and I have firsthand experience that you don't have to have seen the show to love it.

Blue Velvet and Wild At Heart come about joint second (BV just has the edge right now), but Lost Highway is not far behind and is hitting the accelerator pretty hard.
essencia

Post by essencia »

Hi, I was a theology student in the late 1980s/early 1990s, where I first discovered Blue Velvet, Wild at Heart, and Eraserhead. I've neglected things a little of late because my wife really doesn't share my taste in films, which also takes in anything by Krzystof Kieslowski (Dekalog, Three Colours, Double Life of Veronique), and French cinema from the 90s, especially La Haine but it's great to find a community where I can get back into the swing.

Look forward to talking to you all.
tocoelho

Post by tocoelho »

Hello, there.

My name's António, I'm a 35 years old portuguese guy who have seen for the first time Twin Peaks last year, and was completly amazed by David Lynch's series!!
Looking forward for season 2 on DVD!

Best regards,

Tocoelho
KahlanMnel
Roadhouse Member

Post by KahlanMnel »

Hey everyone!

My name's Amanda, 31 yrs old (soon to be 32...ack!), living in Vacaville, California. Been lurking for a few weeks and finally decided to step up to the plate and say hi. :)

I am, like the rest of you, a Lynch fan...my absolute favorite Lynch films being Wild at Heart and Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me. I definitely have a deep burning love for Twin Peaks. Saw it for the first time when it premiered a week before my birthday 17 years ago and was literally the only person in my entire high school who watched it. For a long time I was the only TP/Lynch fan I knew...so you can imagine how wonderful the internet became when I finally started getting online in the mid-90's and found all these fan groups and message boards. Woo! It's so nice to have that connection with people all around the world. I think it speaks a lot of Lynch and his works that it appeals to so many of us in so many different parts of the world.

I'm also a member (and Admin) over at the Gazette under the same user name, as well as at the Twin Peaks Festival forum. In my spare time I like to write, listen to a lot of different music (currently chewing on the new Amy Winehouse disc as well as the latest Shins release), wine taste, and anything outdoorsy or nature-like. The rest of my time, I work for a large oil company as a communications analyst. So my online world keeps me sane. :)

I'm looking forward to spending time here! It's about time Dugpa.com had its own forum. :D
"It's good to want things..."
minister_x

Post by minister_x »

Hey!

I'm Rob, 20, studying Mathematics at Southampton Uni in the UK (which is also my home town).
I first came across Lynch by blind-buying Mulholland Dr., intrigued by the warning I got from some people! Absolutely loved it, one of my most favourite films now, it has a special place in my heart (and I was on-my-toes when I visited Hollywood in person a few months later!).
Since then I've sought out Lynch every now and then - when I get the time - seein Blue Velvet (stunning film, but not quite as good as Mulholland to me), blind-bought the first season of Twin Peaks (which thankfully came with the Pilot in the UK) and after that was forced to seek out dodgy burnt-in-Swedish-subtitle versions of Season Two which cut out occasionally (hooray for the DVD release! - can watch it in a much clearer way :D)...

Recently I've been looking to find time for Lost Highway and Wild at Heart (and Eraserhead if I get my hands on a copy) and I saw Inland Empire at the cinema a week or two back - and much to my surprise think I love it more than Mulholland!
They-Shot-Waldo!
RR Diner Member

Intro

Post by They-Shot-Waldo! »

Hello all, my name is Gerry, I am a 20 year-old college student doing a film-making course, and living in Co. Dublin, Ireland. For much of my life I've had a fascination for films, (favourite being 'The Godfather), and especially with my course opening up many new aspects of cinema to me, I've been very much intrigued by the cinematic works of David Lynch. In the last year, have purchased\watched Twin Peaks and Lynch's other works multiple times, my favourite being Fire Walk With Me for the sheer power in Lynch's direction, form of narrative story-telling, style and ambition in the way it ties it's own mythology together so well.

Am a huge fan of Lynch and his cinematic works now. Caught INLAND EMPIRE the weekend it came out, and loved it. Watched the TP series back-to-back at least four times by now. Very passionate now on all things Lynchian, which is vital for me being in a filmmaking course, as many of my peers who have sharp opinions of films themselves have quite negative opinons on the man!

My other hobbies include collecting comic books (with Superman being a firm favourite), shooting the breeze on film-related stuff, creative writing when inspiration strikes me, spending waaaay to much time on the 'net, and endlessly tormenting my nearest and dearest with my moments of uber geekiness.
-- Gerry

the black dog runs at night
Wood
Roadhouse Member

Post by Wood »

Hi everyone,

My name is Steve, I'm 32 and live in Boston, Massachusetts. My first exposure to David Lynch was Twin Peaks while I was growing up in New Hampshire. A high school friend of mine had all the episodes taped off the air, which was great since the show is very addictive.

I saw Inland Empire when it played at the Brattle Theater in Boston, but I didn't like it that much. My favorite 'Lynch' Lynch films are Mulholland Drive/FWWM/Lost Highway, and my favorite 'non-Lynch' Lynch films are Straight Story and Dune.

My recent Lynch obsessions have been Dumbland and On The Air, and of course Twin Peaks again now that Season 2 is finally available.
benjamin

Post by benjamin »

Hello everyone, my name is Ben and I'm a freshman at North Carolina State University studying graphic design. I'm not sure if I have a favorite of Lynch's works, but I'm currently in Peaksmania with the release of the Second Season (my copy is at the post office waiting to be picked up). I am as well as infatuated with Inland Empire, having seen it twice now, the first being a part of a pilgrimage to NY to see great works of art.

Glad to be a part of the community.
RBinPerson

Post by RBinPerson »

Greetings--

I'm Raymond Benson. I'm an author and a huge David Lynch fan. I'm mostly known for writing several James Bond novels (commissioned by the Ian Fleming Estate). You might say my own original suspense thrillers are influenced by the works of DL. Please visit my website.

www.raymondbenson.com

Glad to be a part of the board.

RB