Last Film You Watched

Off Topic discussion goes here.

Moderators: Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Jerry Horne

Forum rules
Friendly off-topic discussions are welcome.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Re: Last Film You Watched

Post by Jerry Horne »

yvanehtnioj1214 wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:Has anyone else here seen the documentary 'The King of Kong'?
Yes! I saw it in theaters when it came out and more recently on DVD and I love it. It reminds me of a real-life Christopher Guest film. I hear Hollywood is even making a non-documentary version of it.
That will be... interesting! I'm hoping they will do a sequel to the documentary.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

OK, I don't have cable, but I'm sure many of you do. I am a huge fan of the Hannibal movies and finally bought a box set of all of them. (I'm also a major fan of the Thomas Harris books and own them all.) It's OK, you can call me a freak.....my mom thinks I'm a true sicko........
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
neverwakingworld
Roadhouse Member

Post by neverwakingworld »

Because Entertainment Weekly mentions it so much I saw the movie Heathers. I liked it and I hope they don't make a sequel. I also watched the 6th Harry Potter movie it seemed very short despite being over 2hrs long because it was good and fast paced because the 6th was one of if not the longest book of the series.
gavriloP
RR Diner Member

Post by gavriloP »

Bergman's Vargtimmen (Hour of the Wolf) for the second time and it got even better. It is real nightmare. Man, my wife saw it for the first time and the next night she saw so horrible dream that she almost burst to tears while telling it to me. It is strange how deeply some films can affect to your psyche and subconscious.

This is film that I'd assume every Lynch fan would appreciate.
Buck's Student
Roadhouse Member

Post by Buck's Student »

Fire Walk With Me. The next off day I have, I'll see Inland Empire.
Mb3
RR Diner Member

Post by Mb3 »

Hana-bi (Fireworks)

This movie is my favorite one out of all of the films that Takeshi Kitano directed so far.
Carl
RR Diner Member

Post by Carl »

The 9th Gate, one of our faves.
We watched it last evening after hearing that the slimy child rapist had been arrested in Switzerland. Brilliance in filmmaking scacely justifies drugging and sodomizing a 13 year old girl, imo, ( or boy, as in the case of Michael Jackson). I'm sure the 'Hollywood elite' see it differently. We all wish we were above the law , of course.
Macbeth is another fine film of his which we watch with pleasure upon occassion ( lol, the Playboy Version), as well as Chinatown and The Pianist. Oliver Twist was yet another crappy adaptation of that novel. The Tenant was interesting. After 50 years, Repulsion remains his masterpiece.
All opinions my own.
Here's hoping he gets justice. In our local county jail, I assure you he would.
'Stars, hide your fires;
Let light not see my deep and black desires.'
gavriloP
RR Diner Member

Post by gavriloP »

Polanski has definitely made some great films in the past. I personally love Repulsion, Rosemary's Baby and Tenant, in that order too. Chinatown is also good stuff, but Cul-de-sac is somehow dated (although it has some beautiful cinematography in places). I also liked Death and a Maiden quite a lot (for starters, Sigourney Weaver is one of my more modern hollywood faves). Frantic and Bitter moon are ok. 9th Gate was little problematic to me, as I had read the book before and there were some major differences there. Well, that book wasn't so great either. I wish that I 'd seen that film before reading it.

I actually haven't seen Pianist at all.

And considering Polanski's crimes, it is very sad. Other artists go to exile for deep political and ideological reasons, not like this. Maybe he is disturbed but it is no excuse. Damn, he is an artist, and that should be his channel. I think he should've faced the consequences years ago. I really feel that his artistic quality has dropped since.

And now about some films that I've seen lately. They are all something I've seen before: FWWM, Blowup & Stalker. That's some good stuff. I'd say that Michelangelo Antonioni's Blowup would fit to any Lynch fan's world.

I actually watched Tarkovsky's Stalker with my almost seven year old son (it wasn intentional). That was some interesting angle. I was glad to see that he could watch it through. It is not easiest of films...
Carl
RR Diner Member

Post by Carl »

Oh, Blow-up is one of my all time faves ( and set in almost the exact time and place as Repulsion.)
It was L'avventura that really set me to hunting down his many works. Zabriskie Point was observant, but shallow (imo). I have yet to find a copy of Red Desert.
On Topic:7 Years In Tibet
Brad Pitt is my wife's fave hunk. She refuses to listen when I tell her that Heinrich Harrer, himself, was bigger and better looking. :)
gavriloP
RR Diner Member

Post by gavriloP »

Yeah, Zabriskie Point isn't nowhere near Blowup on intellectual level but man if it's not one of the greatest cinematographic trips ever. And Pink Floyd on top of that! I just love that film as a huge music video. Some scenes with aeroplane (even though there is some too obvious Hitchcock references there) are just completely mad! And that scene near the end where either huge crane shot (or parachuting cameraman, eek!) circles around the runway and lands near the plane is sheer insanity (well, he was director who painted grass and big houses to suit his visions...). I got to admire that kind of dedication.

Red Desert is absolutely beautiful cinematographywise once again. I feel little alienated to Antonioni's alienated protagonists but the visual side is poetry. And there is actually interesting industrial feel at places that reminds me of even early Lynch.

I'm still waiting to see L'Avventura one day.

My wife prefers Johnny Depp and Colin Firth ;)

I just watched Mario Bava's Blood on a Black Lace which was nice. I love giallo, so it was great to see where it all started (apart from Hitchcock's Psycho of course). There was actually something very similar in colors and lightning of nightly scenes as in Blue Velvet.
human germ
Roadhouse Member

Post by human germ »

'the wicker man'. i noted some odd similarities to twin peaks. large log toting trucks kept driving by. as well, a diner in the movie reminded me for all the world of good ol hap's.
lastly, angelo badalamente wrote the score.
done bun; can't be undone
gavriloP
RR Diner Member

Post by gavriloP »

Hey human germ ;)

I gather you are talking about this recent remake of The Wicker Man? I haven't seen it but I suggest to check out the original one from the seventies, it is bloody marvelous! (well, of course you now know the plot and all but still). It has gorgeous 70s british thing going on, pagan music and nudity and Christopher Lee!

BTW have you seen Dario Argento's old stuff?

And now watching Kurosawa's Dersu Uzala, well we just started it last night, but kids had to go to bed so will continue later...
human germ
Roadhouse Member

Post by human germ »

gav- indeed, it was the remake starring one nicholas cage. i will have to search on netflix for the original. both movies were based on a book titled: "rituals".
i must admit that i was hoping for a happy ending. i like those. i felt bad when both the goat and nick weren't rescued, but, instead, burned in the wicker man...

alas, i've never heard of Dario Argento. i'll have to do a wikipedia search on this person.
edit: i searched on netflix and found a ton of stuff by this person. lol, when my queue goes down by a few dvd's, i will add a dvd set of their work. i'd also found the original 'wicker man', and added it to my queue.
done bun; can't be undone
Buck's Student
Roadhouse Member

Post by Buck's Student »

The Night Digger
Carl
RR Diner Member

Post by Carl »

One thing about that original Wicker Man: there are two seperate cuts around. The 'U.S. Theatrical Release', the one most often shown on our cable system, cuts about 20 minutes( or so, check imdb) of nude and sex scenes. The original Hammer Production is indeed strking. Edward Woodward's prayer and credo at the end as he meets his fate ( 'I believe in the Lord, Jesus Christ...') is used to excellent effect as the opening sample on the Marduk album Nightwing.
OT:
Bronco Billy, charming, silly fun, wth the same message as Rancho Deluxe or Life, for that matter: 'become that which you wish to be.'
OD:It's almost time for our yearly Carnivale binge, timed to the 'Days of the Dead' ( title of my sister-in-law's novel of a few years back.) I thought Twin Peaks ended at about the right time or a little later, but I sure do wish we had three or four more seasons of this series.Not even one really attractive woman in the entire series, but several genuinely erotic scenes.
This show was also the impetus for my interest in Tarot, though it is not especially well developed or profound as presented.