Big Sky on ABC

Off Topic discussion goes here.

Moderators: Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Jerry Horne

Forum rules
Friendly off-topic discussions are welcome.
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Big Sky on ABC

Post by Esselgee »

Anyone watching? It seems like ABC's latest attempt at a Twin Peaks style show. First episode was pretty good. Too much modern pop music though.
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Re: Big Sky on ABC

Post by Esselgee »

I guess no one here watches network TV any more.

Anyway...tonight's episode was directed by Lynch...Jennifer Lynch, that is.
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Oh wow! Sorry I missed it. It's just on at a bad time for me.
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
MoondogJR
RR Diner Member

Post by MoondogJR »

I don't think it is available in Belgium.
Looks interesting.
"Your log and I are on the same page."
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I recently watched the first 9 episodes of this. It's ... ok. I like some of it in that it feels kind of progressive having female lead characters, one of whom is black, and a trans character. But a lot of it is kind of meh or generic-feeling, and the weirdness didn't fully work for me (it's not Lynch weird, just kind of whatever weird). Some of it is just plain bad, but it is quite entertaining and watchable. A real mixed bag but will keep watching it for now. It's frustrating, though, as in Europe it can only be watched (legally anyway) on DIsney+ and they're delaying episodes. For example, the most recent episodes aired in the US a few days ago and still haven't been uploaded for the European market, and might not be now for another week, plus apparently even though two just aired in the US they're only releasing one despite the long delay, with the other next week, which means there will be two weeks delay if not more between the season finale when it airs in the US and then in Europe. I can't see them doing this with something like LOST so I guess it will lead to a lot of spoilers and/or more people giving up on it.

What I think is interesting is that 1) the pilot episode was hyped for its big twist ending, which is something LOST thought about doing but didn't - so this show, also on ABC, got to that same idea sixteen or so years later. There was some hype about it but I didn't find it all that great, it felt a bit gimmicky, and because the other character was played by an actor notorious for playing bad guys, that part of the twist -- that he was a bad guy - wasn't very surprising. The other interesting thing about it is that the show seemed to burn out of its main premise by the end of episode 5, then dragged it out a bit until the end of episode 9, then again ran out of story and apparently has now started a brand new storyline/mystery for the last 7 episodes of the season. It reminded me of the Laura Palmer storyline ending in TP, followed by new storylines and a new mystery a few episodes later. But that was 15 or 16 hours (and another season) in, whereas this show has done that after only 9 episodes in its first season. I wonder if that means it will continue. They're keeping one element of the original storyline so far (one of the bad guys is still alive and at large), but they burned through a lot of story and about half a dozen characters already (some who died, some who just disappeared). I haven't seen the two latest episodes yet, so we'll see, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of hype about them - it seems the first half of the season was what captured audiences interest the most.
Last edited by Jonah on Sat May 29, 2021 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

As it turns out, Disney+ isn't releasing the show until late May, around the time the last episode of the season will release in the US. If this is all the episodes in one go, it's not too bad, but likely it will be the one a week format they've followed to date, meaning it will air until well into July, two months after the series has already aired in the US, and probably been spoiled/reviewed/discussed online. Considering it's 2021, this is just bizarre to me. Even 10 years ago many European countries - even small ones! - had a local channel that aired LOST relatively soon after it aired in the US, so in this day and age of streaming services and same/next day simulcasts, live streaming, etc., I just find a two month delay on a streaming service between Europe and US bizarre, and cant understand the reasons this could be because of. What makes it worst is this show isn't airing on any networks in Europe as it's exclusive to Disney+ and the subscription fee - 8.99 euros a month - is even higher than other streamers. I know there are other ways to watch it, but this isn't great for those who wanted to watch it legally and signed up to do so. I can't imagine the show will do very well in Europe as a result and it just seems like a strange and poorly thought out decision overall, as surely during the summer months people will be watching less shows, hence why they usually wrap up in May on networks (might not count as much during a pandemic but still).

Edit - Someone told me it's already been released on Disney+ Indonesia/India and continuing on with a weekly release, so it's likely not due to translation issues, and if it is it's still strange they're holding it back from UK/Ireland, English-speaking territories. Maybe they're holding it back until they can release it across the board in the EU with all available translations in dubbing and/or subtitles, but I'm sure other shows, even 10-15 years, released quicker than this. They could have still released the English version then rolled out more translations.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I still think it's interesting how they've changed their central mystery halfway through. They burned through too much story in the first 9 episodes and have introduced a new storyline. According to what I've read online, people say it's like a completely different show now, and the ratings have gone down a bit. Apparently it's picking back up a bit.
Last edited by Jonah on Sat May 29, 2021 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Been catching up on this show. I have to say the second half is, in some ways, a lot better. The first half is probably the best half, but I've enjoyed the second half. I think they did a good job of switching storylines mid-season. Unlike TP entering it's weak stretch in mid-Season 2, I think they had the benefit of having another book they could base the story on. Still, they've done a good job of setting up a new storyline - but in some ways it feels like a completely different show. It's still hit and miss, but seems less silly. It's nowhere near as good as TP, of course, but it's very watchable.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I enjoyed those episodes while watching them but afterwards I went back to thinking the show is still kinda a mixed bag and I don't know what to make of it. I think some of it is quite bad, some of it is quite good. It's quite enjoyable as you watch it, but when you think about it later, it doesn't hold up as well. The second part of Season 2 (the last few episodes) in some way remind me of the Evelyn Marsh episodes in the middle of TP's Season 2. They're better done here, with better actors and overall a more compelling arc, but the story still feels disconnected from the main, set out of town, only tangentially related - with a couple of the main characters getting involved. Once it concludes, we're then back to the main story, though unlike with the Marsh storyline there's a hint this one could continue in the next season. It still reminded me of it a lot though.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Disney+ pulling the same tricks with Season 2, which has been airing in the US for a few weeks now, but still no sign of it being released internationally (including Europe) on the platform.